• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Penta TP ball

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Do yourself a favor and try these. This is hands down, bar none, the best golf ball I have ever played in my entire life. I cannot for the life of me see how a golf ball can be any better.

These go for ever off the driver, and really seem to hold their line well. Better ball flight, and as long as many distance balls yet they feel wonderful when you hit them, not to soft or too hard.

Same for iron shots, really nice with the longer irons, they just go yet land beautifully. Shorter irons really grab and a so controllable its like having a damn remote. I was hitting full 8-9 and PW wedges today and everyone spun back about 10 feet, just so consistent in both spin and distance.

For the short game these balls are worth their weight in gold. They almost respond on command. I have played 3 rounds with these now and am in love. They allow you to be so aggressive around the greens. The ball does exactly what you want. I have never seen this kind of greenside control, even the pro-v1 cant touch these around the greens.

I am not a $50 a dozen golf ball buyer but for these I will fork it out. Worth every penny imo.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
How well do the hold up? lostgolfballs.com has them used for 35.99 a dozen.

OP
LyleG

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
How well do the hold up?

They hold up as well as a topflight. I have played 2 rounds with the same ball and it looks almost like new. None of the big shaved sections you get on most premium balls. They seem to hold up as well as your typical distance ball as amazing as that sounds.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I got away from them and kept trying to go back to the ProV1x.. but I had another dozen of the pentas and I agree. Great, great ball.

GPP has them for $34.99 a dozen right now, Dubya... Way better than the $45 in the stores. I just bought 3 dozen yesterday to make it 4 dozen!!

I shot a somewhat respectable 86. Sounds shitty, but my ball striking has been HORRID.

Yesterday I played after work, and the use 1 ball.. Penta the entire round. No scuffs, no shredded cover. No hairs on it from wedges eating them, or sand bunker gashes. Even hit a tree and it didn't do a damn thing. 12 of 18 GIR.. 9 of 14 fairways..

My putting was terrible, but the ball felt good when I struck it right.

My 5 and 6 irons were like lazers.. Our greens are SO quick, and rolled and I was getting them to come in so hot with spin that they'd hit and jump maybe 2 feet forward.

Backing my short clubs from my 9 and PW and wedges up, and like your said, predictable enough that I could go above the hole and bring it back generally.

When I nutted my driver, I was getting massive roll out from the ball, medium ball flight.. Long drives too, not sure if they were any longer than normal, but when I really caught one, it went, and didn't seem to really spin one way or the other. I could get a draw and a fade from it when I tried to hit a certain shot.

I hate the price, but assume they might start allowing them to be on sale more often. I think people will pay the price for Titleist name over the TM ball, but I think it's a clear opponent to take a share of the premium market.

If anything, they last loads longer than the Callaway balls, and Titleist balls. They are slightly better than Bridgestone now in terms of not getting beat up so bad.. and they are nicer than my all time favorite ball, the TP Red.

buykrux

May 15, 2009
i used a penta today and almost threw up. felt awesome off the tee and off the clubface but didnt spin for shit! on two holes back to back the ball wouldnt juice, infact they rolled out alot...6 feet or so
i hit a pured a 9 iron in on one hole, ballmark was about a foot or so infront of the pin and it ended up off the green. i generally play pro v's and my mp32s juice those pretty good, 5 irons are one jump and stops, 6-wedge generally stick or juice a bit
the next hole i had 80 yards in, nipped a 54 and again, landed 2 feet behind the hole but rolled out about 6 feet

with my wedges i throw them right at the stick without worrying about them rolling out, i dont think i can do that with a penta
overall i wasnt impressed at all, it did seem a bit longer but werent worth a damn around the greens and the shots that count

i found a callayway i(s) and used that on 2 holes aswell. awesome feeling ball but cost me a birdie :( hit 2 feet up on the green on a par 3 jumped up and came back a foot off the green with an 8 iron :D
id consider playing the callaway i(s), another member in the 4 some had a similar experience with the penta aswell, overall i dont think its anything special

OP
LyleG

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
If you cant spin the penta you didnt hit it flush, simple as that.

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008

I agree. They're long and they spin. Very soft off the putter. I'm using up some ProVs then will most likely make the switch to these full time.

Kevin

buykrux

May 15, 2009

think what you like but both 2nd shots i used the ball on were hit right on the screws
but if you say i didnt hit it square you must know...I did like taylor mades tp blacks but im not impressed with the penta from what i seen today. i dont think ill be picking up these any time soon unless they are in a bush haha
ill give it another shot next week when i get my irons back from being frequencied and see if that changes anythin

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
I really like the Penta as well, it has knocked the ProV1x out of my bag. Good feel off the tee and great control over trajectory. I have had no trouble with spin control with shorter irons and wedges. Very durable, no cutting or scuffing thus far with wedge shots.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
If you can't spin a Penta, you aren't hitting the ball right.. I can turn the back up signal on with the Penta, and my grooves aren't new or massively aggressive.

My driver SS is 100-104 usually. I feel I compress the ball enough to benefit from it. It's long, and where I like it is with my 6 iron and down the most.. It just explodes off my mid/long irons, and my short irons it's a one hop and stop. I got a 5 iron from 195-ish, over some tall pines and white oaks, to the green. I wanted to hit it high to get it up quick, since I was in the wrong fairways. Ball jumped off, came down into the green, and stopped within a hula-hoop sized circle. Can't argue with that!

More than anything, I like the durability. Even hard wedges don't really cut it up that much.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Do you need a 140 mph swing speed to benefit from these?

Absolutely not. I've heard reports of women with 80 mph SS who are hitting the Penta as far as any ball they've played. My SS hangs in the 90-95 range most of the time and I typically hit the Penta 20-25 yards farther than I do a Pro V1x. It's about the same for me off the tee as a Bridgestone E6, but much more responsive on approach and greenside shots.

The Penta TP seems to be the everyman's premium ball.

buykrux

May 15, 2009
If you can't spin a Penta, you aren't hitting the ball right.. I can turn the back up signal on with the Penta, and my grooves aren't new or massively aggressive.

My driver SS is 100-104 usually. I feel I compress the ball enough to benefit from it. It's long, and where I like it is with my 6 iron and down the most.. It just explodes off my mid/long irons, and my short irons it's a one hop and stop. I got a 5 iron from 195-ish, over some tall pines and white oaks, to the green. I wanted to hit it high to get it up quick, since I was in the wrong fairways. Ball jumped off, came down into the green, and stopped within a hula-hoop sized circle. Can't argue with that!

More than anything, I like the durability. Even hard wedges don't really cut it up that much.

they do play fairly long and like you said they feel sweet off the face. wednesday im going to play it side by side with the tour i(s) and a prov from 60 yards out and see how they compare

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
they do play fairly long and like you said they feel sweet off the face. wednesday im going to play it side by side with the tour i(s) and a prov from 60 yards out and see how they compare

I haven't played the Penta, so I have no opinion about that. The following is just an observation.

You, buykrux, are not an idiot. Neither is Fatc1ty, nor is Lyle. Maybe you honestly had a dud ball, or something. It's not like you wouldn't know that you were hitting the ball pure, and from what they're saying, the penta spins as much as any ball on the market. You can't both be right-- either the Penta spins or it doesn't, but maybe, somehow, your play with it was hampered by something outside of your control.

Your best bet is to do just what you said-- give it another shot and see if your results are the same.

🔥 Latest posts