• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Perfect Storm For Golf

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I really think the golf industry as a whole is facing a perfect storm over the next 2 years. I think its gonna get really ugly.

Golf courses:
  • Losing membership due to an aging population.
  • Not gaining new, younger members to make up the losses above.
  • Companies like mine cutting back almost entirely on sponsorship of golf tournaments and outings for this coming season.
  • Alot less corporate golf this coming year.
  • Alot less disposable income for players particularly retirees and people with families.
  • Players cutting back any way they can including walking rather than riding and cutting back on tips etc..
  • Too many new courses built in recent years to support the number of golfers and their dwindling golf budgets in this economic downturn.
Retailers and Manufacturers:
  • Nothing new this year that is really worth buying.
  • People may buy new iron sets and wedges this year but they definately will not be running out to the store next year to buy the latest V-groove sets.
  • Less disposable income
  • Fewer people playing the game.
Its gonna get real ugly. Will your local course and golf shop survive?

:shark::shark::shark::shark::shark:

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I don't think it'll be hurt all that much actually. I talked to the pro at my club the other day and he said membership was actually up a little. We're right around 400 families or so right now. They haven't got any 2009 stuff in the pro shop yet... I think that's probably a result of the economy... no faith people will buy it so why order it.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
IMO the equipment this year is pretty good, better than last years new offerings.

Around here, there is most definitely no dropoff in people out there playing. I was having to make tee times 2-3 days in advance for weekdays last year. Courses were getting more play than I've seen in the last 4 years.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
IMO the equipment this year is pretty good, better than last years new offerings.

Around here, there is most definitely no dropoff in people out there playing. I was having to make tee times 2-3 days in advance for weekdays last year. Courses were getting more play than I've seen in the last 4 years.

I looked at the new drivers in the GD Hot List and didn't see one that I could stomach the look of and none of them seemed a real improvement over last years or the year befores equipment-again just my opinion.

As far as memberships, one of the elite courses in my area-been around for well over 100yrs and was written up in GD one year- is desperate for members. They are losing many due to age and COST. They have dropped their initiation fee twice in the last year and have lowered their monthly minimums at the pro shop/restuarant. They have even started ADVERTISING for new members which is unheard of for this club.

All this being said, my area is a fairly depressed area. Jobs and businesses are being lost every day and not replaced and it has only gotten worse since the mess with the economy. I'm sure they will survive but they have had to take drastic measures as will other courses in the area. I would expect to see either drops in rates or more buy one greens fee get one free deals...should be interesting.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
IMO, drivers are definitely better. R9 coming out with the Motore and the Adams Speedline with the Prolaunch Axis are 2 big ones.

As far as V grooves? I doubt manufacturers will put out V groove irons and wedges to the public until it's absolutely necessary. Of course, that will hurt all these guys who insist on playing "tour issue" irons and wedges, lol.

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
It could be a regional thing too. I live in a resort area and in the past 10 years a number of high end courses were built. None of these are $30 per round munis. There are only so many people willing to pay $80 to $120 per round.

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
It's not quite a perfect storm... that'd include high real estate prices which make it even more worthwhile to tear up a perfectly-good course and build houses on it. That's how we lost a couple courses in the this area in the past couple years... it's impossible to compete with the profit-potential of selling lots at $1M/acre.

As long as no one builds any houses on them, I don't care if a course goes out of business... then I'll just play there for free ;)

johnny

Dec 22, 2008
Golf courses:
  • Companies like mine cutting back almost entirely on sponsorship of golf tournaments and outings for this coming season.
  • Alot less corporate golf this coming year.
  • :shark:
Yayyyy! (lol-sorry). the public course where i play has a tournament (mostly corporate) almost every freaking day of the month at 10am. by the time they all get out, its too late for the common folk like me to get in 18 this time of the year. so i get to the course at 5:45am to be sure i get out in the morning.

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
United States United States
The club I work/worked at is hurting. Since the last week of September:

Sept. 22nd- Superintendant since 1973- Gone

After Thanksgiving:
1st assistant since before 1973- Gone
Mechanic for 23 years- Gone
Myself and 2 other employees with "full time" status- Gone

Irrigation Tech, Horticulturist and 1 equipment operator are left and all had to take 10% pay cuts to keep their jobs.

Here comes the Hispanic movement.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I've noticed a few less people playing, but generally, I see some of the same guys out playing too.

I think it's really hit or miss. Those without the income, or those who haven't found a way to "fit" golf into their lives, have naturally put it on the back burner. I can't argue it though.. Your mortagage comes before golf!

That said.. I've played MORE since the down turn. Courses in my area aren't cheap.. There are alot of them around, alot of high end places, but most are private. However, most courses that were private, have gone semi-private. Some have lowered their rates. It's not uncommon in the summer/spring to have a $60-250 rate.. Hell, in the winter, the nicer places are still $40-80. I've never played a round of golf for under $30, even on a weekday winter rate.

However, memberships to clubs, has dropped. I've contemplated joining one, but never did because I wouldn't drive to use it as much as I would have liked. Most are waiving their initiation fees, some are running specials if you join now, and between another date. Some are dropping their monthly dues, but know that the service and perks will go with it.

One club is $25,000 initiation, $275 a month. It's now, $10,000 and $275.

The one I wanted was $1000 initiation, $185 a month. Now... $185 a month.

Golf companies might not change their ways. I think you might see some more affordable gear out there, and find that those $699/599 retail drivers won't fly on the racks as quick as they might have once done.

muzz

Apr 8, 2009
I considered getting a membership this year, but it was $2K AND they did NOT waive the Initiation fee of $750 (split 375x2 years).
I probably would have signed up had they waived that fee, but instead I will play there once in awhile, and give my $ to other courses just as often.
The 2 other courses I was interested in were 2700+, and 2500, and both of these courses are nicer, but also further from home......
Maybe next year, but I must admit I was really liking the idea of just bailing out and jumping on ALMOST whenever I could.....I live 5 minutes away.

OOH well.

VAGolf

MHS Varsity Golf 09'
Aug 15, 2008
i bet if the membership charges at clubs were lowered more people would join

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I'd consider joining one if they didn't tack on all sorts of "hidden fees". They force you to pay for carts and food which doubles the monthly bill. If I could just pay the 5day walking fee I'd join tomorrow. It's getting ridiculous around here. Tried getting on several courses on Fri. and all were booked solid till the afternoon.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
i bet if the membership charges at clubs were lowered more people would join

Perhaps. But nicers clubs won't be nice if you let just everyone in, and with a lower budget than before.

For instance.. I played at a private club for my saturday round. They opened the course for 1 month, to the public to "try out". Their membership numbers are down, and the people that live near the course, aren't renewing, probably due to cutting spending.

This is a nice course, new carts.. Complimentary tee's and towels in the carts. Nice bound yardage books, with pictures of the greens, sectioned with tee positions. The practice area was HUGE. Huge putting green, 3 bunkers, and 2 greens to chip and pitch out of. The driving range was perfectly green all the way out, free balls to hit on the range, and get this.. Callaway balls too..

Course was in immaculate shape, call the clubhouse @ 7th, and the chef will whip you up whatever your heart desires for them to bring to you on the 9th..

When you get done, they take your stuff out of the cart, clean your clubs, and bring your car to the front of the clubhouse and load it up for you.

This place wouldn't survive if they lowered their fee's.. But can get by opening the course for a limited time, making some outside money when the funds get low.

I'd be pissed if I paid a premium for a club, and it lowered the fee's to allow more people to join. But thats just me.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
This place wouldn't survive if they lowered their fee's.. But can get by opening the course for a limited time, making some outside money when the funds get low.

Make up the difference in volume, that's how Walmart came to be #1.

🔥 Latest posts