• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Personal advice requested--

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007

No debt, no ties, woohoo. Your car has a steering wheel right? You can always turn around if it doesn't work out.

Remember, at your age, life has few wrong turns, and in the event you do make a wrong turn, remember, 3 lefts make a right. :laugh:

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
crammed everything I owned into a 1969 MG Midget and took off for Colorado.

Had to laugh at that one :) left the first wife in arizona and went to chicago with everything i could pack in my mg midget. once you put the clubs in the midget it's about full.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Had to laugh at that one :) left the first wife in arizona and went to chicago with everything i could pack in my mg midget. once you put the clubs in the midget it's about full.

I had a friend back in HS that had a MG Midget, when I read that my 1st thought was, you must not have owned very much? ;)

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Geez - all these MG Midget guys, I had 2 (a '66 then a '76).

I never had the balls to take off in one of them, and that's a serious mistake I made. By the time I realized I needed to blow this "pop stand" and see what's up it was too late.

I've got 4 kids and told all of them to hit the road and see what they can see, but only one did it. He's in Vail now, working for the TV station there and having a ball. He get's lots of comps, free lift tickets, and has a press pass to about anything that happens. I'm jealous.

Why are you still in NY? Get outta Dodge now while there's still time.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Your first thought was right. :p

I loved my Midget's, no AC, crappy Lucas Electrics, wobbly wire wheels, hydraulic clutch, front dampers (shocks). I'm thinking about selling my '73 Olds Delta 88 convertible and getting another MG.

Hmmm...Now that I think about it, nevermind.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Head towards Florida, or Georgia.. Keep the same kinda east coast culture that your used too.. But slowed down.

We have winter, but no snow... maybe a light ice on the worst of the worst.. Golf year around, too..

Head to coastal Georgia... St. Simon islands.. It's a golf mecca, and an expensive one at that.. So many private courses, and places, you could EASILY caddy a few days a week, and cash out around $150-200 a day. Live on the beach, eat shrimp fresh from the marshes.. :)

Just leave..... Search around for some sort of job... From there, just keep adding something.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Go to Florida, I hear FAT is a real "Goergia Peach." ;)

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny...

In all seriousness, people here that know me would think I would be lobbying for you to go back to school, carve out a niche for yourself etc. But it sounds to me like you really just need a break/change of pace before you figure out what you want to do.

One word of caution, don't let the liberties and freedoms of this year or 2 slow down your long term goals. You can't work at Subway forever ;)

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Head towards Florida, or Georgia.. Keep the same kinda east coast culture that your used too.. But slowed down.

We have winter, but no snow... maybe a light ice on the worst of the worst.. Golf year around, too..

Head to coastal Georgia... St. Simon islands.. It's a golf mecca, and an expensive one at that.. So many private courses, and places, you could EASILY caddy a few days a week, and cash out around $150-200 a day. Live on the beach, eat shrimp fresh from the marshes.. :)

Just leave..... Search around for some sort of job... From there, just keep adding something.

Dude, you're making me want to go. I get the winter blues BAD. This year I may not though cause I'll be working 50 hrs a week (I hope). I really know what sux is talking about though. Every winter I swear to God that it's my last. If I never shoveled snow again it'd be too soon. I'm getting depressed talking about it.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny...

In all seriousness, people here that know me would think I would be lobbying for you to go back to school, carve out a niche for yourself etc. But it sounds to me like you really just need a break/change of pace before you figure out what you want to do.

One word of caution, don't let the liberties and freedoms of this year or 2 slow down your long term goals. You can't work at Subway forever ;)
Not sure I could have said it better myself. I was almost at a loss for words on what to say because while I have taken gambles that have paid off hugh dividends in the past, I have also been in situations where even had I had a small amount of savings to invest in my ideas, I would have been set for life at a very early age.

I would hate to think what impact it would have had on my life had I pissed away the savings that would have provided me that opportunity when the situation arose. I not so easily got over the fact that I was a broke and working to put my wife through college at the time, as she was further along, and eventually made decision that work out well for us. I am not sure I could have gotten over it had it been a matter that I simply made a decision just on the bases of not being able to handle the snow.

Then again, it is all a matter of your long term goals and what you intend to accomplish in doing such

Literally one of the first thoughts that came to mind but did not state was "The world needs ditch diggers too Danny..." as I heard a similar line in "Do you want to be a leader or a ditch digger" from my father even a few years before Caddyshack even came out.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
He can borrow my snowblower for one of the few occasions we actually need it. :laugh:
I think we took it with us. Have heard the last few years how mild the winters have been. Remember in college sitting out working on my car with a tubular heater that I borrowed from a friend when it was -32* and a -54* wind chill factor so we could drive home on Christmas Eve. Also remember several winters where it never got above freezing for about 4 months straight. Snow would just pile up, freeze, then pile up again. Always thought it was mild out here in comparison, but my my wifes mother keeps telling us it is much nicer out there now. Just thought she was going crazy. :D

🔥 Latest posts

Members online