• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Personal advice requested--

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Hey all- I've been wrestling with something in my head, and decided to offer it to my favorite community of gentlemen (And Claire, and Jeff.)

I currently live in Central New York. I've lived here my whole life (21 years, so far) and I must get out of here before winter. MUST is a strong word, I guess. There is nothing compelling me to go other than my own mind. I am often in a... dangerous state of mind, and winter is the worst stretch of months for me to be in that state of mind. The only things I do are entirely absent in the winter. I might as well be in a coma from November-March. I've really considered putting myself in one a few times.

It's more than just boredom. It's more than just depression. It's not a seasonal-emotional disorder. It's broad in its scope, and it integrates and encompasses everything I do. It is an entire issue, or even a volume of issues, in itself. But that is beside this point.

I want to move. I need to move. And I need to go somewhere where there is not more than a month of winter. I'd like to be at least as far south as Virginia.

My question, and the nature of the advice I'm requesting is... what is the best way to do this? I have a moderate sum of money in my bank account, I have no debt, I own my vehicle. But I don't have somewhere to go where a job is waiting for me or anything. I don't really have the means to go visit a whole lot of places and then decide. It's not imperative I end up in an ideal environment. I just need to go somewhere, even if only for the winter.

Anyone done something like this? Just packed up and gone? I am not concerned about the long term reprocussions. The short term reprocussions of NOT moving are more worrysome.

Any input is appreciated. I've got nothing to go on, as of right now.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Come live with me in Michigan for the winter. I'll teach you how to snowboard! We'll have so much fun! :D

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
SUX,

If you have somewhere to go back to, then go. Apply for some jobs and highlight that you are willing to relocate. This is often a plus and we've hired several people long distance as it showed commitment and wantoness to do the job.

Meeting new people and being close to the things you love to do is easy. What you need is something to focus on - like a job - as a commitment. Just leaving and hoping things will level out is a road to failure, and you'll end up coming back.

What are your needs that pull you to a new venue? That might be a start on some recommendations. What schooling do you have/are working towards?

R35

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
Rock's question of "What schooling do you have/are working towards? " and what skills do you have need to be addressed first.

Your young, do it! I have in the past. found myself once in scottsbluff nebraska about out of money and out of gas. found a job and stayed for a year and a half. if you get desperate come to georgia, there is not a lot of work and no money to be made, but right now two can play 18 with a cart for $24, thats $12 a piece~~~~~!!! (it aint a class course but $12!!)

if you really get bummed out by it and all pm me.

doug

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I moved to a foreign country 8 years ago out of the blue, so yes it can be done.

What's your educational and work history look like?

OP
SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I've worked several jobs, one for 5+ years that I still have. All minor jobs in customer service/sales. No relevant education. I excelled in college briefly but was aimless and miserable while I was there.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I moved to a foreign country 8 years ago out of the blue, so yes it can be done.

What's your educational and work history look like?

Well, why not take some time off and take a year or so in a far away country?

I have a lot of American friends who have come to Australia as their "working holiday", stayed a year, have worked at a bar or restaurant, and have had the time of their lives! (BTW, Winter in Sydney is around 16ºC you can make the conversion to Fahrenheit, and summer can get up to 35ºC easily).

Really, think about this possibility, you'll have the experience of a whole new culture, an "adventure" as people call Australia and I still don't understand why, and you can earn some money working, play golf near the ocean shore, and go back to your normal life in NY a year from now, as a new person, or start thinking about changing somewhere else, or staying here (I really do need a golf partner hehehe)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Well, why not take some time off and take a year or so in a far away country?

I have a lot of American friends who have come to Australia as their "working holiday", stayed a year, have worked at a bar or restaurant, and have had the time of their lives! (BTW, Winter in Sydney is around 16ºC you can make the conversion to Fahrenheit, and summer can get up to 35ºC easily).

Really, think about this possibility, you'll have the experience of a whole new culture, an "adventure" as people call Australia and I still don't understand why, and you can earn some money working, play golf near the ocean shore, and go back to your normal life in NY a year from now, as a new person, or start thinking about changing somewhere else, or staying here (I really do need a golf partner hehehe)

Shit, this would be super cool. Especially if you had a contact over there that will "throw some shrimp on the Barby", whatever that means. :D

I have had several friends teach English in Korea, Thailand, etc. and loved it. Culture shock, forsure.

R35

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
One thing I'd consider, you said as far south a Virginia. The winters are still pretty harsh until you get into the southern Virginia, Tennessee area. Are you comfortable moving that far away from your family? Central and Northern Virginia are going to be just as bad as where you're at now. So moving there isn't going to accomplish much other than a change of scenery.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
An intriguing concept, Xamilo. Got a room for rent? :D

Not now since I'm overseas a the moment and will be here for some time due to a situation regarding a person who might have a ring in her hand in a couple of months :D

But seriously, if you think about the issue tell me so, and I can contact you with a lot of people who could help you in OZ, and if you promise you'll behave, even find you a spare room in a friend's of mine place or something.

Rock:

We don't eat shrimp, we eat Prawns mate!

🔥 Latest posts