• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Personal best shot of the Year

atlgolfer

Aug 9, 2006
Since I now know Jayhawk & WBL's best shots of the year were hole in ones, I was curious what everybody else's were.

My best of the year came about month ago. Playing a course called Chimneys, I think DouginGA or Chollyred might know this course. Anyway, I was at a par 5, hit a nice drive, top/shanked a 3 wood into a fairway bunker. For the 3rd shot, I guess I had about 170 to the hole, grabbed a 6 iron and hit a nice flush shot. I saw the ball bounce once but didn't see where it landed.

When going to the green, I brought my LW & putter thinking my ball must have ran over the green. I'm searching and didn't find anything so I take a look in the cup and there it was for a nice eagle.

My best shot of the year!!!!

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Mine was that great chip I outlined in, "Shot of 06." Though, I encourage everyone to post, I love reading about people's best shots.

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
The shots in 'Shot of the Year' and I remembered another one. It was a week after I got my new Vokeys, and I'd hit the 50* about 3 times with good results. So I was on a par 5, and I hit it right at the flag. The ball actually bounced in the cup, hopped forward, and spun in for an eagle! a nice moment to put on an otherwise ordinary round of golf!

Tenn-Driver

Dec 3, 2006
My 1st Birdie, only been playing 3 months, 2nd 18 hole game ever... Tee'd off into a spruce that kicked the ball into the maint area into a clump of grass.
Grabbed the 7 iron to get the ball back on the fairway, with a 100' shot to get on the green I grab the 9 iron.
I was just trying to get the ball on the green. I don't mind saying that this had to be the prettiest shot I hit all day. I hit the ball perfectly. The ball just flew like it was preprogramed. Not only did I hit the green, but it kept on rolling and rolling and in the cup it went.

Jun 24, 2006
Well, I just finished putting out on 18 and I saw an older gentleman waiting to tee of on the first hole. Said my thank you's and good byes on the green an headed for the tee. He's probably about 70. Just got the impulse to play a 'quick 9' with him. What a nice kid I am:) . Any way, were on the 8th hole a little par 4 ..let me check the score card here..343 yards. Hit my drive in the left rough, had about..85-90 to the middle. Decided to try and thrash the ball outa the rough with my fairly new at the time Wilson Staff Tw5 56º wedge. What made the shot difficult was the 6-8 BIG spruce trees I had to cut the ball around, and my pretty bad downhill lie. I couldent see the flag from behind my ball. put the ol' cut swing on her and some how got the ball to cut around the trees..and in the hole. I was actually pretty suprised I even hit the green:). The green was elevated quite a bit and the pin was tucked in the front. Hitting a cut isn't an every day occurance for me. Needless to say the guy I was playing with LOVED the shot, more than I did actually. Think that was the 3/5 eagles I got in 2006.

I've gotten to know this gentleman quite well since I started working in the pro shop of that course. Verry nice man.

Alphanumega

Sep 15, 2006
sticking it to 3 in with an 8i on the second hole of soaring eagles, too bad i made bogey or worse on all but one of the rest of the holes to get, "Two birdies and still 9 over. (i four putted from 12 ft proving i have no nerves, my coach was standing over me on the hardest hole on the coarse.)

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
The hole out SW from 70yds. was the most exciting one I hit this year.

A few other memorable ones were a 3 wood from around 240, possibly longer than my drive, that was just dead straight and perfect, on the green in 2. My dad was there to see it so that made it nice.

Another was just last week. Dogleg left par 4 I hit a sky-high drive. There was an opening I could see to the backside of the green. Hit a perfect high fade with a 9iron, about 155 with a 15yd. fade, and on the fringe. What a par that was. I remember that because I was playing with a little rust, that shot reminded me what I got and I played a lot better with more confidence afterword.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
One that really sticks out was at our 17th near the beginning of the summer.
I had pulled my tee shot a tad into the rough on the left side. The ball was sitting up and I had about a 215 shot, so I played a hard, high 7-wood high fade, but had to hover the club behind the ball - that is how much it were sitting up in the rough. A fairly tough technique, plus I had to take a bit of yardage off it and this was all at a crucial stage of the match. I hit a cracking shot to 15 feet behind the hole - and this is one b***ard green.
My partner - a former Ireland International who has taken McGinley to tie-holes before and beaten Ronan Rafferty, etc., belled out "AWESOME golf shot, just AWESOME !" as we played out and won the match. Schweeeet :)

Another that sticks in the memory was when I was 1 or 2-under par playing our 15th - a par-3. I sort of half ribbed a short iron through the green into VERY heavy stuff. After literally 4 and a half minutes I almost stood on my ball. It was absolutely fecked. I took a mad, half controllable swipe and quite luckily got it into 10 feet. I holed the putt. It is mad how what appeared to be a royale f-up turned out ok. For once.....!

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Hit a perfect high fade with a 9iron, about 155 with a 15yd. fade

A 15 yard fade with a 9-iron ?!?? A 15 yard "fade" with ANY club is bad enough, but with a 9-iron >??!? Holy smokes !! Is that even possible.....!?!

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
2 come to mind.

a sw from 95 yards. ball slightly below my feet, caught it perfect started out 3 yards left of the flag and drifted slightly right back towards the pin. took 2 bounces, checked and dropped . eagle.

another one was on the first hole at my home course. 500 yard hole, had 250 to go to the green. people were on the green, but at the time a usually hit my 3wood 240 max. i hit a hard controlled swing, caught it perfectly, with a slight draw, and it ended up 15 feet left, pin high. 2 putt birdie.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
A 15 yard fade with a 9-iron ?!?? A 15 yard "fade" with ANY club is bad enough, but with a 9-iron >??!? Holy smokes !! Is that even possible.....!?!
I think I can fade a 9 iron 20 - 25 yards.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
I wasnt going to post on this because the year wasnt really over for golf untill today.

Yesterday after my swing change I was playing LB Houston (muni) and wasnt really doing to well on the front nine, but I got to number 13 180 yards to the center with the pin playing 6 yards to the rear. This is a fairly easy shot since the green was nice and flat so I knew I didnt have to work the ball in there too much but my confidence isnt 100% due to the swing change. I knew since I was losing yards so I thought a nuked 6 iron would get it there. I planned to work it in right to left, hit the shot and it was super high, started right of the stick and started easing its way back towards the flag where it stuck 6" from the pin. No roll, just plugged from the rain we had. The only thing that sucked was that if it didnt plug it had a chance to go into the pin since it landed 6" short/right of the stick. This was by far the most accurate shot i had ever hit this year, it went exactly where I wanted it too go.

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
This wasn't really a "good" shot, but comes to mind when I think of my shot of the year. It was at a short par 3, about 110 yards, but uphill. 3rd hole, El Rompido North Course in Spain. I played 7 iron to allow for the fact it was uphill and into a stiff breeze. I hadn't a clue where it went from the tee, because you can only see the flag from the tee. I knew it was a good shot, because it was dead on the stick from the tee. When we got to the green, I saw my pitchmark about 5 yards past the flag, but alas... No ball. I didn't have a clue where my ball was until I got onto the green. It was ON THE LIP!!!!!!!!!! On the lip, behind the hole. Somehow, I couldn't see it behind the flag, but realized it must have pitched (maybe too much club?) and spun back big time...

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.