• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Petrol / gas prices round the world

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
You Yanks are so lucky. Driving round in the good ole US of A I worked out that your gas is the equivalent to 25p per litre compared to 91p per litre here in Ireland. That's over 250% more expensive. And you guys complain about it!

I commute 600 miles per week, costing me £65 per week, or ~$110. That's over $5K per year. That's a full set of MacGs irons, Titliest Drivers, Sonartecs, a Scotty Cameron for every day of the week, a crocodile skin bag and matching shoes, a lesson with Tiger Woods, and still enough to buy Mrs. IG a bottle of perfume.

You never had it so good. Damn taxes here!!

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
MAHALLEDAY said:
I pay 92.5 cents/litre here.

£1 (or 100p) = $1.92 (or 192c) - right!??

How many litres are in your US gallon?

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
1 Euro = 1.62 $CAN

Ireland: 0.91 Euro/litre = 1.48 $CAN/litre
Canada: 0.96 $CAN/litre = 0.60 Euro/litre

That's the price for the lowest grade octane. It's true that there's a huge tax on european countries, but your diesel is half price, while our diesel is the same price as 94 Octane fuel...
Ever wonder where all the money goes to?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
96.9 here, Canuck pesos.

Damn expensive considering it comes right out of the ground in the same province....

R35

MAHALLEDAY

Mikey Dangerous
Nov 29, 2004
Yeah no doubt rock. Stupid Alberta and their stupid oil. WE have oil in MB to but not much.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Wow....I knew our prices were lower but I thought it was about 50% less..

Yeah we should not complain about it.

Is the entire price differential attributable to taxes? Seems right since so much of our oil comes out of the middle east.

Sales of hybrid vehicles are going to boom in the future.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
if I could afford a new hybrid Civic, I'd be on that like stink on shit

we're hovering between 98.9 and 105.3 cdn here lately, and that sucks

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Farquod said:
Can't wait for that hybrid Hummer....;)

Or the new hybrid Abrams M1 battle tank.

Should be in dealer's showrooms by Fall.

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
Man, don't you guys have Hummers on the roads by you? They drive me crazy here. They're everywhere. And not only the H2s. I mean, I saw one of the big mugambos driving down the highway yesterday. In black. Woman driving, of course...

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Yeah my neighbors have a few.

Its that macho thing.

Although I am not a Greenpeacer - I think we should orient ourselves toward more fuel efficient vehicles that are reasonably sized.

I have a Toyota Highlander that I love. Carlike, mid-sized and gets pretty reasonable mileage. About 17 round town and 25 Mpg on the road.

Put a hybrid in this SUV and improve its mileage by 35% and I think you have a really great, balanced vehicle. You can haul stuff from Home Depot while at the same time it is not the size of some military beast...

A real failure of our federal government is a lack of incentives (either positive or punitive) to get more fuel efficient vehicles on the road and we're paying for it (literally)....

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Farquod said:
Man, don't you guys have Hummers on the roads by you? They drive me crazy here. They're everywhere. And not only the H2s. I mean, I saw one of the big mugambos driving down the highway yesterday. In black. Woman driving, of course...

You kidding this is Texas, if it's big there's lots of them. Seems like the most popular thing right now is the Ford Super Duties but there are a good number of Hummers that come from Austin and San Antionio on the weekends. Interesting that you mentioned it, but there are quite a few women driving them.

My personal beef right now is with the EPA. I saw a news story the other day that showed almost every estimated mileage on a new car stickers was wrong. My own, an Explorer, is off by at least 5 mpg.

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
Bravo, as long as the giddyap is maintained, I'm all for hybrids. Otherwise, they need to find another way. What about alternate fuels? Propane? Remember gasohol?

I have 3 very different vehicles in my stable right now, and all get about the same MPG. A 2004 Chrysler van, a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and a 2003 Infiniti g35 coupe. Each gets about 20 mpg all around driving, +/- an MPG or 2. So go figure. & just like your Highlander, I might add. :p

Dave, women predominate in both Hummers and the big SUVs like the Expedition and Yukon. I think they feels it evens the playing field. They can be some of the scariest drivers on the road.

'course I never go 1 mile over the speed limit. 'specially in the G. ;)

S

spankdoggie

I don't know what you been smokin' Irish, but I think you got your figures wrong. I am paying $2.97 per gallon on my hatchback...

There was a time that you guys paid 4 times as much as us Americans... now it is only about 25-35 percent more...

Correct me if I am wrong...

I just bought a new set of tires for the hatchback this morning, and the total cost including install was over $860 (dollars)...

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online