• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

PGA Merchandise Show Day 1

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Gentlemen, it was a long day. I missed the media breakfast due to the long line for parking. Missed the media lunch because I was out on the floor demoing clubs and talking to the reps. Missed the media reception with free wine so I could listen in on the Srixon presentation with Jim Furyk. Essentially, I was on my feet all day so that I could bring you the latest information. :D

Golfsmith: The first pavilion I stopped at. The new Golfsmith P2 irons look even better in person than they do on the website! I took a few photos of them for you, but they will not do justice to how beautiful they really are.
PGAShow2007026.jpg

PGAShow2007028.jpg

Top Flite: I went over to the Callaway area to see if I could get some information on the new D2 golf ball and the Callaway folks bent over backwards to help me out. They could not find the Top Flite rep in their vast area so they went running to find him on the range and brought him back to meet me. Paul English (Director, Brand Management) spent about 15 minutes with me going over all the details of the new D2 line and I will tell you this, this is not your ordinary Top Flite. The D2 was the primary ball on the putting green and at most of the hitting bays and I can vouch that it is not your ordinary Top Flite. I will right up a more comprehensive review with highlight from the interview when I can spend some time on it.

Maruman: A Japanese brand that is making its way back into the American market. Olie plays their wedges on tour, but there forged offerings were absolutely stunning. I have photos will be posted when I get a chance to download them from the camera. I did not get a chance to hit them as I missed demo day due to work and they did not have a hitting bay.
PGAShow2007030.jpg

PGAShow2007031.jpg

Boomgolf: Towards the end of the evening I went over to see Alex Moore from Boomgolf to personally thank him for the Boomerangs he sent to us last year for testing. He has a new model out that actually may be a bit more difficult than the unit he sent out to shottalk members (it was hard enough the first time!) Alex had his latest champion on hand who currently holds the record with 15 straight trap and releases. The video is on line at BoomGolf.com. Quite an amazing putter.
PGAShow2007093.jpg

PGAShow2007091.jpg

PGAShow2007090.jpg

PGAShow2007089.jpg

Simpac Golf: The original square driver! I spent some time talking with Chris Cammarano about their product (www.simpac.com) and was quite amazed to find out that Simpac is the patent holder on square drivers and they are currently on their 8th generation of square club head. Beyond the driver, Simpac offers square fairway woods as well. I was able to hit both the driver and the fairways at a hitting bay and you will hit nothing but straight with them. Unlike the Nike and FT-i, these square clubs sound like your hitting a titanium club. One unusual aspect about Simpac is that they will offer their components for sale as well as complete golf clubs. Simpac has had a presence in Asia since 2001 but are just getting into the US market this year. If they offer these in component form, I may just have to give it a shot.
PGAShow2007068.jpg

PGAShow2007067.jpg

PGAShow2007065.jpg

PGAShow2007062.jpg

Callaway Driver Fitting: A little bit of a wait, but well worth it. I went through the Big Bertha 460, FT-5, and FT-i during the course of the fitting and ended up with a FT-5 (draw bias), 10 degree, with a stiff shaft recommendation. The FT-5 and FT-i are definitely composite clubs. There sound is different than the traditional titanium heads, but do not sound as muted as the FT-3 and earlier generations of composite clubs. Like the Simpac, the FT-i square driver is a straight driver. I do not work the ball with the driver to begin with, but the draw tendency from the FT-5 to the FT-i was noticeably less (the hitting range was huge! You had about 100 yards of ball flight before you hit the netting at the wall. Personally, you can't go wrong with either driver. They will be well like when they hit the market.
PGAShow2007011.jpg

PGAShow2007014.jpg

PGAShow2007013.jpg

Grafalloy Epic: I got a chance to hit a Nike SQ with the new Epic shaft installed (stiff, 10.5 degree head). At first glance, the shaft looks like its graphite but changes as you get it into your hand. Its metal, but it isn't. Graphics aside (Rock PM me your address, I picked up a temporary tattoo with the Epic logo just for you that I will send out to you as your the only one who professed that you liked the graphics :D) this is one awesome shaft. When you hit it, it feels like a steel shaft but with muted vibrations. It took a few swings to get used to, but once you do you could easily fall in love with this shaft. The company hypes that it maintains the accuracy of the steel shafts (dispersion patterns) but with the weight, distance, and vibration damping properties of a graphite shaft. Starting at $195, they are probably going to be out of most folks price range to start, but it would not surprise me if this becomes the hottest shaft on the tours if the dispersion claims are true.

Wilson Golf: I spent some time in the Wilson room learning about the latest Wilson offerings. You have all seen the irons that are out on tour, but the newest offering looks more like a Callaway Fusion with a wide sole, elastomer paint in the cavity, and more forgiveness than their current line up. Newsflash: Wilson is bringing back the 8802! Well not quite, but 8802 fans will have a milled face with an insert model to purchase in the near future. Its slightly larger than the 8802 due to the insert and its requirements, but retains the classic shape and profile. Pictures will be posted when I get them downloaded. Wilson also has a low compression two piece ball coming out soon called the Fifty (a 50 compression ball). While its not for the high swing speed crowd, it is supposedly a soft feel 2-piece with incredible distance. It should be out in stores soon.
PGAShow2007040.jpg

PGAShow2007046.jpg

PGAShow2007048.jpg

There is so much more to tell and show, but I have to be getting to bed so I can get back there a little earlier in the AM to avoid the parking issue.

Enjoy.

ualtim

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
Nice work, 'tim. I'm checking out the Simpac site now.....

oops, there is none.

OFFICIAL WEBSITE IS COMING SOON!

You tease, you.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Great work, Tim. Kudos for the legwork.

[email protected], obviously. :D

I told you guys, the new D2's are the real mccoy. Not your Daddy's Rock Flites anymore. And, at something insane like $15 for a dozen, that's insane.

Again, great work, Tim. :)

R35

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Nice work, 'tim. I'm checking out the Simpac site now.....

oops, there is none.

OFFICIAL WEBSITE IS COMING SOON!

You tease, you.

I told ya they were new in the US! :D Sorry about that. I will have to listen to the conversation on my recorder to see when it will be active. He told me that the products were not available yet on the web site, apparently the web site is not available yet either. :D I will try and get some photos out that I took of their products.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I told you guys, the new D2's are the real mccoy. Not your Daddy's Rock Flites anymore. And, at something insane like $15 for a dozen, that's insane.
R35

I will do a more in depth review on the D2's when I get more time, but they are the real deal. Paul said it was the only ball he plays now and he has access to free HX Tours! The only ball at the show was the Feel variety which is most likely the ball 3-piece golfers are going to like. As far as spin goes, Paul gave me a reference point compared to a 3-piece Callaway. If you draw a 3-piece back 8 feet, the D2 feel with draw back about 6 feet on the same green. Off the drivers I hit today, it definitely feels like the multi piece balls I have been playing. The true test will be the short game.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Addy sent. If you can fit a dozen D2's in the envelope, that's cool. :D

Thanks Tim, seriously.:)

R35

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Did you see the proto name for the D2 was RFID06, meaning rock flight is dead 2006. At least someone at Callaway has a sense of humor.

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
Did you see the proto name for the D2 was RFID06, meaning rock flight is dead 2006. At least someone at Callaway has a sense of humor.
Maybe it was RockFord Is Dead 2006?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
'Tim,

I found it interesting (and not surprising) from Mediguru's video of the TM booth that they're marketing the Burner driver as "a driver that you don't care about the fairway, you just want to hit it long." Basically, zero accuracy.

Did you get the same feel?

R35

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Thanks for the info!!!

Simply amazing that I find myself wanting to try out a Top Rock. Keep hearing alot about this ball. I guess I will have to start looking at the ones I find on the course now to see if they are D2's, prior to throwing them deeper into the woods.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.