• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

PGA tour coverage

Jun 24, 2006
Why is the third round of the Mercedes broadcasted on the golf channel?. I thought they only got the first two rounds?.

Whats going on here?

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Why is the third round of the Mercedes broadcasted on the golf channel?. I thought they only got the first two rounds?.

Whats going on here?

They get all rounds of some tournaments. I'm not sure of the list of events where they will be doing the complete broadcast, but IIRC, there were about 15. The regular networks have significantly cut back on golf telecasts due to decreasing ratings.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Nothing here in the UK,it was on Sky last year but this year nothing

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Nothing here in the UK,it was on Sky last year but this year nothing

You can still get it. Sky lost the coverage to Sentanna sports who have launched or are launching there own golf channel. I'd think about subscribing but if the coverage are the same pics as Sky got from the US TV companies, where you just see shots of flowers with the leader board up, I don't think I'll bother. If the coverage was like that event in Japan where they had cameras everywhere like playing Tiger Woods on the seX box then I'd subscribe today! Or even if they featured all the players on the leader board instead of just a hand full of the big guns.

I was wondering if they screen it live on the internet that you can subscribe to?

Garrett

Sep 15, 2006
Golf channel coverage isnt that bad. I do need to see the Majors all 4 rounds in HD though. I hope there are broadcasted in HD for thurs and fri.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I believe major networks will be covering all 4 rounds of the 6-7 biggest tourneys of the year in HD. Something around 6-7 i believe is wat i heard. At least the 4 majors and Tour Champ (big fedex cup payout)

TheOnlyGolfProHere

Jan 1, 2007
They will have a certain number of tourneys that they will broadcast from beginning to the end. I have a schedule around here somewhere that tells me which tourneys are on what channel.
Mercedes Champ Jan 1-7 TGC only
Sony Open Jan 8-14 TGC only
Bob Hop Classice Jan 15-21 TGC only
Mayakoba Classic Feb 19-25 TGC only
US Bank Bank Champ Jul 16-22 TGC only
Reno Tahoe Open Jul 30-Aug 5 TGC only

And that should do it.
However, the Masters is on USA and CBS (April2-8)
the US Open ESPN and NBC (June 11-17),
the British Open TNT and ABC (July 16-22),
the PGA Champ TNT and CBS (August 6-12).

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
They are seeing decreased ratings because tiger only played 15 events last year.

Quentin

How U Doin'?
Aug 27, 2004
What an effen mistake this will prove to be. I haven't seen a single swing for any tournament this year because they are now on TGC. Tiger or no Tiger they lost my viewership because it wasn't available on my tv. I'm pretty pissed about this whole thing. The only thing I can do in the winter here is watch golf.

Boo to the PGA for this.

~QQ

Quentin

How U Doin'?
Aug 27, 2004
I could, but I would have to pay for digital cable. That would mean I would need to buy digital cable boxes AND pay an extra $15/month. All for something I received for nothing before. The PGA has it's head up their asses on this one.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I could, but I would have to pay for digital cable. That would mean I would need to buy digital cable boxes AND pay an extra $15/month. All for something I received for nothing before. The PGA has it's head up their asses on this one.

It's even worse for me. The package we have now includes FSN which I need to see some of the Big 12 football games. The only package they offer that has that and the Golf Channel is their most expensive one.

My monthly fee doubles if I do it so I'll be watching less golf this year.

Quentin

How U Doin'?
Aug 27, 2004
It's even worse for me. The package we have now includes FSN which I need to see some of the Big 12 football games. The only package they offer that has that and the Golf Channel is their most expensive one.

My monthly fee doubles if I do it so I'll be watching less golf this year.

That will be my take too. Less watching and more playing. I'm only saying that the PGA has lost some viewership. That's a stone cold fact.

🔥 Latest posts