• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

PGA Tour stats: Now the hacker need to get real!

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I recall a club pro telling me the average tour distance was 274 last year. So Dave's numbers make more sense. Honestly... 250? I can carry 250 with my 3 wood without a great deal of difficult. I'm an athletic, strong guy, but still not BIG. 275-280 seems legitimate. Doesn't seem super-human either.

xmasgolf

Dec 17, 2007
O.K.boys,I've got my white flag up,unless ya wanna rub my nose in it for awhile longer.:laugh:

eli_yates

looking to be scratch
Nov 19, 2007
well im not saying you are wrong or right. because not all of the tour pros are power hitters and hit the ball a ton... but the average driving distance is pretty high. i never watch the ol wendys whatever it is... i just like to talk about distances... i just like to see how i stack up against other amateurs... but they do say the average player doesnt even hit their driver 240 yards total... i forgot where i read that but im pretty sure it came from a legitimate source... anyway. happy holidays and happy new years lol.

xmasgolf

Dec 17, 2007
well im not saying you are wrong or right. because not all of the tour pros are power hitters and hit the ball a ton... but the average driving distance is pretty high. i never watch the ol wendys whatever it is... i just like to talk about distances... i just like to see how i stack up against other amateurs... but they do say the average player doesnt even hit their driver 240 yards total... i forgot where i read that but im pretty sure it came from a legitimate source... anyway. happy holidays and happy new years lol.
ONE LAST EFFORT:)I speak CARRY not TOTAL DISTANCE .Take a look how far the ball rolls.Most of the boys are getting 40 yds. of roll.For crying out loud the fairways are stymped faster than the greens we play on!If they carry as far as ALL of you seem to think then I guess the average are hitting it over 320yds.Just look back in this thread for some of the distances,I'm not wasting any more time on this let alone looking for quotes to prove something so bloody obvious:real angry:

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
]

Spot on. Just looked tied 99th out of 196 is 288.5 yrds but this is total distance I think. Below is what it says at the bottom of the page;-

'The average number of yards per measured drive. These drives are measured on two holes per round. Care is taken to select two holes which face in opposite directions to counteract the effect of wind. Drives are measured to the point at which they come to rest regardless of whether they are in the fairway or not. (101)'

Also, the key phrase in this quote is "regardless of whether they are in the fairway or not". Personally, I don't think that a shot should count that isn't even a "good" drive, i.e. in the fairway. In my opinion, the only relevant datum is how far the ball is hit accurately. Just like they keep stats for putts per green in regulation, it should also be average drive in the fairway.

As to the carry stat.... I can carry the ball 250. Granted that I'm doing it in Colorado a mile above sea level, but I'm also 61 and and a fairly average golfer. If the pros can't average that in these days of hot balls and hot drivers, then maybe they don't even belong on the tour.... :laugh:

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Well I just looked it up on the PGA Tour website and the Top 50 in driving distance average for the year 2007 are all 294.7 yards or greater. Bubba Watson (#1) averaged 315.2 yards while Tiger Woods (T12) averaged a measly 302.4 yds. The #100 position was 288.5 yds. Jim Furyk and Zach Johnson (#170 and #169 respectively), both known as shorter hitters on tour (but accurate) averaged right at 280 yds. It seems to me that pretty much any of the tour players have a minimum average carry of 250-260 and probably closer to 270. The big hitters can add another 10-25 yards of carry.

I play regularly with a "big hitter" (as far as amateurs are concerned) -- Youngun5 -- and he hits a majority of his drives between 285-300 yds based on my GPS measurements. He carries it about 260-270 on his better drives and gets maybe another 25-30 yds. of roll. He is way way way longer than almost anyone else I play with or see out on the courses I play. He also hits it very straight most of the time. Dammit.:real angry:

xmasgolf

Dec 17, 2007
Also, the key phrase in this quote is "regardless of whether they are in the fairway or not". Personally, I don't think that a shot should count that isn't even a "good" drive, i.e. in the fairway. In my opinion, the only relevant datum is how far the ball is hit accurately. Just like they keep stats for putts per green in regulation, it should also be average drive in the fairway.

As to the carry stat.... I can carry the ball 250. Granted that I'm doing it in Colorado a mile above sea level, but I'm also 61 and and a fairly average golfer. If the pros can't average that in these days of hot balls and hot drivers, then maybe they don't even belong on the tour.... :laugh:
I'm 50 and can carry a 6 iron 250 in Colorado.Hit drives over 400 a few times, but I am a 1 cap. and have been thereabouts for 35 years.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
There are plenty of drives on the tour that end up 300+. I remember seeing one where, roll included, a few players put it over 380. Angel his it 397 I believe.

Maybe these guys just wanna get on tour real bad with their 240 carries :laugh:

Here's the table:

PGATOUR.com - 2007 PGA TOUR Driving Distance

Measured to where the ball stops, roll included, regardless of landing in the fairway. That means bunker balls or rough balls, which will not roll at all, play an impact here.

All but the last 25 get 280+ including roll.

The best 48 get 295+ including roll. Considering the slight fudging due to rough balls or bunker balls, I think we can assume that 45 yards of roll is a bit much to assume. The best fairway % is 75%, and the worst is 50%, excluding John Daly.

It seems clear that 250 of carry is an understatement with a driver.

xmasgolf

Dec 17, 2007
There are plenty of drives on the tour that end up 300+. I remember seeing one where, roll included, a few players put it over 380. Angel his it 397 I believe.

Maybe these guys just wanna get on tour real bad with their 240 carries :laugh:

Here's the table:

PGATOUR.com - 2007 PGA TOUR Driving Distance

Measured to where the ball stops, roll included, regardless of landing in the fairway. That means bunker balls or rough balls, which will not roll at all, play an impact here.

All but the last 25 get 280+ including roll.

The best 48 get 295+ including roll. Considering the slight fudging due to rough balls or bunker balls, I think we can assume that 45 yards of roll is a bit much to assume. The best fairway % is 75%, and the worst is 50%, excluding John Daly.

It seems clear that 250 of carry is an understatement with a driver.
I can't believe this!! My keyboard is not working properly.The 8 key keeps showing up as a 5.My apologies,Boy do I fell like a silly billy:confused:

🔥 Latest posts