• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

PGA Tour stats: Now the hacker need to get real!

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
and im sure fred funk isnt as long as he could be based on his inabilty to keep a straight left arm its pretty bent at the top of the backswing which is definitely not a power booster by

Thats just not right, there is no evidence at all that a slight bend in the left arm reduces swing speed, many long hitting pros do NOT have a straight arm

swing speed only plays a very small part.

Sorry but its not a small part at all, its an important part. As is angle of attack, the loft you use, the shaft you have, the type of swing, and loads of other stuff. Its right to say its not the ONLY thing, but its a significant factor in distance. You sound like you aren't getting distance benefits from your swing speed, this isn't because its not important, as you suggest, its most likely because you haven't been fitted properly, so I'm affraid its just waffle about 'smash factor', that doesn't make any sense at all. If you swing at 100mph and don't get the right carry distance then something else is wrong, your launch angle and spin rate are being affected by something else, usually loft and angle of attack. To reduce that to lack of smash factor (whatever that means) is pure hyperbole.

If you have the talent, fitness, coordination and ability to swing at 100mph then get fitted or you are wasting it. BD Crowe has gone of on one about glancing blows, but you didn't mention that at all, unless you meant the lack of smash factor means you don't hit the ball in the middle. If so then maybe the shaft is to long, either way its about fitting.

xmasgolf

Dec 17, 2007
To quote Rodney King,"can't we all just get along?"This is not my thread so I may be out of line but....Don't ya think we are WAY off topic?The points put across are: the average Tour player carries the ball just over 250yds.So do lots of us.They get an average of 32yds. roll.So do lots of us,BUT our roll is not usually as straight as the Tour pro.As far as swing speed is concerned I will not go there!lol:)

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
The points put across are: the average Tour player carries the ball just over 250yds.So do lots of us.

Not so sure about that Chief. Sure there are average Joes who do carry that far & more, but they aren't all that common & a hell of lot more of us are in the low 200's. The internet has a bad habit of inflating everyones driving distances & lowering their scores, damn computers:laugh:

xmasgolf

Dec 17, 2007
Not so sure about that Chief. Sure there are average Joes who do carry that far & more, but they aren't all that common & a hell of lot more of us are in the low 200's. The internet has a bad habit of inflating everyones driving distances & lowering their scores, damn computers:laugh:
No comment Chief.You ca n always turn the 'putor off and work on yer game.have a nice xmas

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
the average Tour player carries the ball just over 250yds

Duff info.

Go onto the PGA website, look at the stats section and count down half way on the driving distance table. At half way the player will be around 280, at least it was last time I looked. 250 is way off the mark.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Duff info.

Go onto the PGA website, look at the stats section and count down half way on the driving distance table. At half way the player will be around 280, at least it was last time I looked. 250 is way off the mark.
]

Spot on. Just looked tied 99th out of 196 is 288.5 yrds but this is total distance I think. Below is what it says at the bottom of the page;-

'The average number of yards per measured drive. These drives are measured on two holes per round. Care is taken to select two holes which face in opposite directions to counteract the effect of wind. Drives are measured to the point at which they come to rest regardless of whether they are in the fairway or not. (101)'

xmasgolf

Dec 17, 2007
Duff info.

Sorry Dave old boy but the term used was "CARRY"the ball not total distance.As far as the duff remark:(

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Ask any tour pro if he puts it all out every time to hit it in the fairway.He'll look at you sideways:laugh:120 mph with a glancing blow as you put it can be aimed in such a way as to hit fairways all day long. Good god,look at Bubba Watson.hope your not going to tell me that he hits it anywhere near center face?ONLY my opinion:)

I think BDCrowe understood what I was trying to say although, after re-reading, I can see the ambiguity. I didn't mean that Tour Pros bring all they have into the ball every time, I meant that all of what they bring is going into the ball everytime.

Thats just not right, there is no evidence at all that a slight bend in the left arm reduces swing speed, many long hitting pros do NOT have a straight arm

Sorry but its not a small part at all, its an important part. As is angle of attack, the loft you use, the shaft you have, the type of swing, and loads of other stuff. Its right to say its not the ONLY thing, but its a significant factor in distance. You sound like you aren't getting distance benefits from your swing speed, this isn't because its not important, as you suggest, its most likely because you haven't been fitted properly, so I'm affraid its just waffle about 'smash factor', that doesn't make any sense at all. If you swing at 100mph and don't get the right carry distance then something else is wrong, your launch angle and spin rate are being affected by something else, usually loft and angle of attack. To reduce that to lack of smash factor (whatever that means) is pure hyperbole.

If you have the talent, fitness, coordination and ability to swing at 100mph then get fitted or you are wasting it. BD Crowe has gone of on one about glancing blows, but you didn't mention that at all, unless you meant the lack of smash factor means you don't hit the ball in the middle. If so then maybe the shaft is to long, either way its about fitting.

Good call on the "small part." It would have definitely been more accurate to say something like "one of many parts" or something to that affect.

As far as my sticks go, all have been fitted and are the right ones for me. My primary problem with the driver is the timing of getting the face square at impact. This just illustrates my point, I'm not getting the most out of my swing speed and they, Tour Pros, are getting every last little bit out of theirs.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Any of you guys watch the Long Drive Championship on ESPN yesterday? Some fella hit 404... YIKES.

Anyway... Make sure you're not confusing average with median here, guys. There is not necessarily a standard deviation of swings in both directions from the median number. Some tour pros hit 300, but I don't think any hit it 200.

xmasgolf

Dec 17, 2007
Duff info.

The last stats for 280yds. being in middle is 2002.Might want to check stats a 'tad' more often.:)

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
250 carry + 32 roll = Steven Ames,154th. in total,well below halfway

They measure into the wind and downwind, so negating a lot of the roll, so their average is way beyond 250 carry, they were ding that 20 years ago.

The average of 250 on the PGA tour is way off the mark, I have no idea where you got that info, its totally wrong. These guys average 110mph, way over 250 carry.

I don't need to check the stats, I know 250 as average of a PGA pro is ridiculous, still, if it makes you feel better to believe it, then who am I to argue.

xmasgolf

Dec 17, 2007
They measure into the wind and downwind, so negating a lot of the roll, so their average is way beyond 250 carry, they were ding that 20 years ago.

The average of 250 on the PGA tour is way off the mark, I have no idea where you got that info, its totally wrong. These guys average 110mph, way over 250 carry.

I don't need to check the stats, I know 250 as average of a PGA pro is ridiculous, still, if it makes you feel better to believe it, then who am I to argue.
Got info from pga tour stats.done arguing with ya,bye bye davy.give Lamebums my regards.tell him oldsmobile says hi:laugh:

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
My primary problem with the driver is the timing of getting the face square at impact. This just illustrates my point, I'm not getting the most out of my swing speed and they, Tour Pros, are getting every last little bit out of theirs.

Because the average length on tour is way under what we buy off the shelves, around 44.5" and many play shorter. They also ensure their launch is optimised, they do with by ensuring they have the right shaft flex, the right shaft characteristics for their transition/tempo, the right ball, the right loft, the right torque, the right grip, the right lie angle and they check all this on a monitor.

A 44" 3.0 torque 58 lie angle 10 degree loft with a Pro V1 mid launch stiff tip 1/64th grip with one extra layer at the bottom swingweight balanced at D4 using lead tape. Thats a well specced club for a player. the alternative is looking in a shop and picking the latest model with 46" shaft, and no idea of specs, the Burner is a gerat example. I think I will start another thread on that club

It just sounds like you haven't been fitted very well, if at all. If you bought 45 or longer off the shelf it would be luck to have optimised your swing speed.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Got info from pga tour stats.done arguing with ya,bye bye davy.give Lamebums my regards.tell him oldsmobile says hi:laugh:

Er not arguing, just stating some facts. I have no idea who Lamebums is. PGA tour stats show 280 is ave, maybe you are looking at stats 20 years old by mistake.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online