• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Phil Mickelson Plays Like It's 1999 to Grab U.S. Open Lead

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
a4.bp.blogspot.com__bJ3NWQN_njw_UbpE5je0g_I_AAAAAAAAGMs_9eAmeU00NMg_s320_13USO_SC12243.jpg
Phil Mickelson (WWW.USGA.ORG)​
ON THURSDAY AT MERION GOLF CLUB, Phil Mickelson played golf like it was 1999. Mickelson fired a 3-under 67 on the soggy championship layout, his lowest first round in a U.S. Open since he battled Payne Stewart down the stretch at Pinehurst fourteen years earlier.

Apparently, crisscrossing the country to attend his daughter's eighth-grade graduation and arriving back in eastern Pennsylvania in the early morning hours didn't bother the charismatic veteran still searching for his first U.S. Open title. Mickelson had command of his game as he carded four birdies and made just one bogey on the storied East Course.

Mickelson was comfortable with his prep work, so a quick trip home to San Diego had no ill effects on his game.

"I got all my work done on Merion when I was here a week and a half ago," he said. "I knew exactly how I wanted to play the golf course, given the conditions ... clubs I was going to be hitting, where I was going to be and the shots I was going to have."

After completing his round, Lefty was sounding like Lee Trevino, who said he loved Merion after beating Jack Nicklaus in a playoff to win the 1971 U.S. Open.

"I told [USGA Executive Director Mike Davis] that this is the best setup I've ever seen for a U.S. Open. I think what I loved about Merion and what they did to Merion in the setup is they made the hard holes even harder .... f you're playing well, you're going to be able to make pars and you're going to be able to separate yourself from the field."

That's exactly what Mickelson did on Thursday. He made birdies where they're expected, but he also played par golf through Merion's punishing stretch of five finishing holes. He also explained why Merion wasn't more vulnerable to low scores on what is likely to be the easiest scoring day of this year's tournament.

"We are all struggling because it's such a penalizing golf course," he said. "It's penalizing if you miss fairways, very difficult if you miss greens, and it's not a given to two-putt on these greens. They're some of the most pitched greens we have ever seen and the're very quick."

Not long after Mickelson completed his round, the grouping of Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy and Adam Scott teed off. The marquee grouping and several others will not complete their first round by nightfall, but at least they're progressing nicely after a weather forecast that had everyone wondering if Thursday would be a disaster.

UPDATE: Play has again been halted due to weather.

afeeds_feedburner_com__ff_ArmchairGolfBlog_90875f527880786621fd034e7fa2f873._.gif

Source: Phil Mickelson Plays Like It's 1999 to Grab U.S. Open Lead

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I think I heard that the longest club in his bag was the 3w. I could be mistaken though, I didn't get to watch much coverage today.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I think I heard that the longest club in his bag was the 3w. I could be mistaken though, I didn't get to watch much coverage today.
If so it's probably his 13 degree Frankenwood. Monster club.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online