• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Phil the Thrill

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
Pulls the string on a tight lie chip to set up a tap-in birdie to win the Scottish Open.

Thought it was going in for a second. Glad he 3 putted from the fringe to cause the playoff so we got to see the wedge mastery.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Wow. Haven't seen the footage yet but Phil would be ecstatic on a couple of levels. He's blown winning leads in the Scottish Open before and from memory he's never won in the UK.

afbcdn_sphotos_d_a.akamaihd.net_hphotos_ak_ash3_s403x403_1017675_625537790803174_1271137271_n.jpg

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
So that pretty much guarantees he won't win the Open right?

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
So that pretty much guarantees he won't win the Open right?
Wrong. The correct stat is -> no one has won the Open Championship (having won the Scottish Open the prior week) whilst wearing beige underpants & a purple left sock. o_O

That's my tongue in cheek against the media & their meaningless stats. :)

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
United States United States
That picture is great! He looks likes it is his first trophy.
And a he** of a trophy at that !

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I think they said he hadn't won on the European Tour since 1993.
Ah huh. Interesting. That still might mean he's never won in the UK b/c the European Tour goes to just about every continent except the Americas. Anyone got the stats handy?

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I watched a lot of this and Phil played well over the week. His shot game was razor sharp. Not to steal his thunder but the consensus was the course was fairly generous allowing the driver out on most holes, totally suiting Phil. This won't be the case at Muirfield. I like Phil and respect him as a player. A lot of guys had chances to win this tournament, most folded. Despite a 3 jack at the last he still closed it out.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I watched a lot of this and Phil played well over the week. His shot game was razor sharp. Not to steal his thunder but the consensus was the course was fairly generous allowing the driver out on most holes, totally suiting Phil. This won't be the case at Muirfield. I like Phil and respect him as a player. A lot of guys had chances to win this tournament, most folded. Despite a 3 jack at the last he still closed it out.
I just don't see Phil being much of a factor at the Open. It just doesn't suit his game. Id hope to be wrong...

🔥 Latest posts