• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Picked up a few things

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
United States United States
No not usually. When i'm trying to hold a little lag and hit down what i'm actually doing is swinging out. To better understand that, what I mean is that if at address your hands are hanging... at impact they'd be reaching. You dig? I even know it and still keep doing it. My shots are sooooo much better when I play the ball a little back in my stance and hit down. I need to get back to achieving that without the "reaching" that for some reason my mind is substituting for holding lag.
Your misses all hosel or what?

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Your misses all hosel or what?
No. It's not like I hit the hosel every shot.
When I continually do that, I move back from the ball slightly and it stops
It's not that i'm too close. I believe my setup position is pretty good. It's when I try to hit down on the ball like I used to i'm swinging out instead of down. That's throwing the clubhead out to where the hosel is now meeting the ball instead of the center of the clubface.

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Anyways... by the end of todays golf twilight marathon I was hitting a nice draw from the teebox with 4i every time. The U wedge from the set and my new wedge were working out pretty nice. It was just the approach shots with every other iron that I was not doing so hot with... which has kinda been the story of this year.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
More upright lie? The hands could do what they want. Might take the edge off with 1/2 degree up. If you want arms down use flat instead.

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
More upright lie? The hands could do what they want. Might take the edge off with 1/2 degree up. If you want arms down use flat instead.
Or I could just stop being a retard and get my body under control. I'm not dialed in tour style, but as far as my static #'s go I have the right setup. In other words... it's not the clubs. They are great. This year i've gone to averaging a few strokes over bogey golf where before I was averaging a few strokes under... and that's with all of the clubs that have passed through my hands recently. Again, it's not the clubs.

Played 9 this morning. Slowed down and paid more attention. Played the ball closer to the center of my stance (only a hair behind), kept my body in check (not trying anything crazy or to kill the ball), and setup square and straight. I hit the irons much better today. A little short because I was not swinging hard with confidence and I caught a few just a touch heavy. Better contact and control than yesterday though. I need to keep it more basic and keep my body under control and everything will get better. Taking my time will help to... gotta stop trying to play speed golf.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I've been consciously taking only 3/4 shots with my irons lately.

Idk what it is, but my good contact percentage goes through the roof when i do that. When a take full back swings with irons for some reason my contact goes to hell.

My distances don't suffer much either. Actually i haven't really noticed any distance loss.

Maybe try something like that?

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country

Idk what it is, but my good contact percentage goes through the roof when i do that. When a take full back swings with irons for some reason my contact goes to hell.

My distances don't suffer much either. Actually i haven't really noticed any distance loss.

I think for me (and you've seen my swing so maybe you could tell me) What feels like a full backswing is maybe even past parallel and what feels like a 3/4 swing to me is more like a full shot.

I had something that kind of worked for me, but I seemed to plateau with 39 being the best I ever shot for 9. I want to keep getting better and this year i've been trying to get rid of some of my band aid moves. In the meantime i'm suffering in more ways than one though. Hopefully that's short term and what i'm trying to do will pay off eventually.

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
I need to try the 3/4 swing, I'm betting my full swing is actually to far back. But the young buck in me always wants to see if I can crush that magical long ball.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country

That's how I play....3/4 irons shot all day.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I think for me (and you've seen my swing so maybe you could tell me) What feels like a full backswing is maybe even past parallel and what feels like a 3/4 swing to me is more like a full shot.

I had something that kind of worked for me, but I seemed to plateau with 39 being the best I ever shot for 9. I want to keep getting better and this year i've been trying to get rid of some of my band aid moves. In the meantime i'm suffering in more ways than one though. Hopefully that's short term and what i'm trying to do will pay off eventually.
I have that problem with the driver. Yeah, you do have a longer backswing. Maybe try a 5/8 swing or an 11/16th swing

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.