• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Pilgrimege to Croagh Patrick

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
So my family and I went to Westport last week, a holiday town on the West coast of Ireland. What a beautiful part of the world this is. And our highlight was a trek to the top of Croagh Patrick, a 2,500 ft mountain, that has some very interesting history (Croagh Patrick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

As per all Summer the weather during my week away was for the most part shite ("ah but at least the rain was warm!"), but we lucked out that day and got a corker. The views at the sumit were breathtaking and well worth the 5 hour round trip. By the sound of it the summit has been enshrouded in clouds most of the sumer so we were very lucky to get such nice views.

Well 5 hours might sound like a long time, but I had a 7 and 5 year old in tow, and an unfit Mr. and Mrs. IG, so I was just happy to reach the top, survive and live to tell the tale. My legs were seriously stiff the next day!

I got some cracking pics but haven't downloaded them yet. In the meantime here's ones I have "borrowed" to give you an idea of "the beauty of West Coast Ireland". (They should give me a job on Bord Failte)
view_from_croagh_patrick.jpg

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
and here's what it looks like from the ground...
croaghpatrickapr.jpg

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
and here's a pic of me in action...:laugh:

(actually some people WERE in bare feet, total nutters!!)
croachclimb.jpg

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I get more education about the world on here than I'd ever imagined...great photos! I can imagine that it is quite a hike from sea level to the top....does the peak get snow in the winter?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
How did Pearse and the other young one handle the climb? Probably yelling, "come on Dad, catch up!" all day....

Beautiful place.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
How did Pearse and the other young one handle the climb? Probably yelling, "come on Dad, catch up!" all day....

Beautiful place.

Pearse was yelling " I know where the peak is!":laugh:

I love Ireland. Its such a beautiful place. I can't wait to visit someday.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Actually Pearse (7) made it to the Summit with me. The younger lad Seamus (5) ran out of puff, so himself and his mother made it about 2/3 the way, a stirling effort.

The last bit of the climb was severe and was not unlike that last photo. Lots of loose rocks, not hugely dangerous but one had to be careful.

Pearse was hillarious. I plan to post his video log.

B. Ireland doresn't get much by the way of snow. I imagine snow sits for a few weeks at the peak, but I would think you would have to be a few thousand feet higher to see any real snow. It's not the highest peak in ireland but probably one of the most climbed.

On St. Patrick's Day every year, thousands of people climb to the summit and have been doing this over 100 years.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Looks just like home in NS :)

We used to do some serious hiking here in VT, but our little guy isn't old enough yet to tackle the terrain here. I bet you guys had a blast. Did you notice the extra wind at the top?

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Looks just like home in NS :)

We used to do some serious hiking here in VT, but our little guy isn't old enough yet to tackle the terrain here. I bet you guys had a blast. Did you notice the extra wind at the top?

Have you climbed Mount Washington in New Hampshire?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Have you climbed Mount Washington in New Hampshire?

I climbed it. In the train.

Though I did climb a hill in NH that took about five hours, and put us in a spot where we could see forever. It wasn't a terribly hard climb (mostly good trails), and I did it almost 30 years ago, so I don't remember the name of the mountain.

Beautiful country up there, for sure.

🔥 Latest posts