• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Pinehurst, Aberdeen, Southern Pines Golf Packages

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Looking to do a golf package over Thanksgiving in the Pinehurst, Aberdeen, and Southern Pines area.

Anyone recommend a place down there to do so? This is also in relation to an older thread (http://www.shottalk.com/forum/no-golf-you/21228-carolinas.html) where we are looking at the area to possibly buy a second home. So while we intend to get in around 3 rounds or so of golf over the week, it is not necessarily our primary goal. So staying at Pinehurst resort, while the obvious choice, is not likely one we would choose because of the costs and the fact that we will not likely spend alot of time where we stay. So otherwise we would likely just get a Suite at Hampton or Residence Inn and book our own rounds, unless anyone would recommend something equal or better.

Also if anyone has recommendations on courses to play (up to around $100 or so a round) or areas to look, it would be appreciated.

I figure if we end up getting a place down there, we will have plenty of time to play the course at Pinehurst later on.

BTW, it would be for 2 people, where many times the Golf Packages I have seen are for 4.

Saw one called Talamore that looked interesting, which includes rounds at Talamore, Tobacco Road (one of the courses I was eying), and Mid South. Price looked right, but says it is for 4 and a 2 bedroom, may check if they have availability for 2. Looks like Tobacco Road has similar packages, but not sure of the lodging, looks like it may be at local hotels. Anyone ever play Tobacco Road, listed as not only one of the best courses but toughest in Golf Digest.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Google "Tobacco Road Travel". They do a good job of setting up golf trips in this area. TR is a tough golf course, but lot's of people like it.

Played Talamore a month ago or so...good course for the price.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Google "Tobacco Road Travel". They do a good job of setting up golf trips in this area. TR is a tough golf course, but lot's of people like it.

Played Talamore a month ago or so...good course for the price.
That is one of the sites I have bookmarked (Tobaccoroadtravel), and the one I mentioned, so that is good to know. Also what led me to the Talamore Golf Villas and Resort. All seem to be roughly $250-300 a person for 3 rounds and 2 nights, which is dirt cheap to play TR, Talamore and the other.

Since I will not be playing from the tips, what attracted me to TR is that while it is a little longer on the two forward boxes, the slopes are roughly the same or a little less than my home course. So I should feel right at home. Good to also hear about Talamore. It is intriguing because they have what looks like the same property for sale, which is what we are looking for but have not checked the costs.

I am sure you realize from what I mentioned earlier, if we end up in Pinehurst, it is all your fault. Though that is not a bad thing. Just like it is Tim's fault on my current driver, but is not a matter of Blame. :laugh:

Cheers!!!

edit 1 - ... Oh, and no, I would not consider becoming a Hurricanes fan as a result of buying a house down there. ;)

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
I have set up a couple trips with The Golf Group of the Carolinas. They have always done a great job for me.

I would post a link but I can't since I do not have 15 posts.:rolleyes:

The phone number is 1-800-845-3402

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
If going to the area, I would just stay with MCDavis. Oh wait, I only live a couple of hours away so, I guess I would just come back home.

Pa, too bad you are looking at Thanksgiving... I'd have loved to maybe rode down to meet you but I'll be in Charleston, SC that weekend.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
If going to the area, I would just stay with MCDavis. Oh wait, I only live a couple of hours away so, I guess I would just come back home.

Pa, too bad you are looking at Thanksgiving... I'd have loved to maybe rode down to meet you but I'll be in Charleston, SC that weekend.
Yeah, come on and stay with me, my wife, my 4 kids, and the cat! ;)

Actually, we'll be at N. Myrtle that weekend.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
I played in the area this summer. Go through Tobacco Road Golf, they gave me great prices. I would suggest switching Legacy for Talamore, and play Legacy Mid South, and Tobacco Road. If you are over a 10 HDCP I would not expect to have a good day on Tobacco Road though, it is a tough track with lots of forced carries and blind tee shots. Enjoy the area though it is wonderful.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Thanks for the info everyone. FYI, I booked to stay at the Villas at Talamore, which did not require a golf package booking. For my wife and I for a one bedroom Villa with full kitchen, Living room and either deck or Patio was only $112 a night. About $20 cheaper than Residence Inn or Hampton Suites) They had even mentioned since we planned to stay 7 days (only booked 5 there, play the other 2 on the fly), it would be just as cheap and probably better to just book the room and do the golf. Which may actually come in cheaper since most of the courses are around $50-60. So we will see what happens, and will post a review of the Villas and the courses afterwards.

I will definitely be doing Tobacco Road, then probably Mid-South and one other. Maybe Talamore out of convenience.

Thanks Again!!!

If you are over a 10 HDCP I would not expect to have a good day on Tobacco Road though, it is a tough track with lots of forced carries and blind tee shots. Enjoy the area though it is wonderful.
BTW, our home course while only around 5600 and 5900 yards has a slope of 135 and 142, so Tobacco Road is likely what we are looking most forward to. Should feel right at home with the target golf. TR plays a little longer from the forward tees but a lower slope than our home course. Thanks for the warning though. I will not be caught dead off the tips, but expect to score well and enjoy the challenge from the forward tees.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.