• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Pinehurst!

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I did it. I finally played a Top 100 golf course. :D

There is more to the story than that, so I'll start at the beginning. The GF and I made reservations for 2 days and nights at Pinehurst: me for the golf, her for the spa (and a little golf). It was our 1st time there, so we just took the advice of the reservation clerk.

Pinehurst was in the midst of the US Kids Golf Championship, with teens and their parents from all over the world, but there was plenty of room for us. We got a suite in the Holly Inn, the 1st hotel built, circa 1895. The whole resort is beautiful and the Holly Inn was no exception. Once the valet unloaded our car and we gave him the keys, we didn't see it until we packed to leave. Shuttle buses take you everywhere.

Our golf clubs were taken to the appropriate courses and were ready when we got there.

Thursday I had a teetime for Pinehurst #2, with a caddie, while the GF headed to the spa. My caddie was a young guy named Mark Seagraves, who had been at Pinehurst 5 years. Surprisingly, I had no playing partners to start, but by the 4th hole, the 4some in front waved me up to join them, so we played as a 5some the rest of the way.

If you have never done it......you MUST play a great course with a caddie. This was the most fun I have ever had with my clothes on. :) Besides the obvious of toting the bag, he gives you advice on how to play the hole, cleans the clubs after every shot and encourages you before every shot. Even though I played not so well, I really felt on top of the world. Now I have a smidgen of an idea of how great it must be to be a ttour player.

The bad news was that I shot a 95 from the blue tees. :( Nerves was a part of it, but my golf swing is the pits lately. Still, what a blast playing #2.

Incidentally, my caddie should be on Golf In America on the Golf Channel tomorrow at 10PM. He will be the skinny guy carrying for Willie McRae, the caddie who has been at Pinehurst the longest.

Friday, the GF and I played #3 with another couple. #3 is a mini #2. I shot a 82.

Saturday morning I played #7, which is a Rees Jones monster. 7300+ from the tips, 75.5/149. I played the whites and still only shot a 91. This is an evil course, but absolutely gorgeous.

All of our food was included in the price, so we ate like pigs. Without a doubt, this was the best restuarant food I have ever eaten, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Only my old granny could have done better.

I'll try to get some pics posted, but I just didn't have time to take many. You will just have to take my word for how beautiful it was.

Expensive? Yes. But worth it. If you are a golfer, you owe it to yourself to experience Pinehurst at least one in your life.

The GF and I are going back next year, maybe more than once. Let me know if any of you want to join us.

5 STARS

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Might have to join you next trip... Perhaps I should sock away a few bucks from the bonuses and such this year. :)

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
As I have said before, Pinehurst is a jewel. It's expensive and worth it. Screw the money, play this resort before you die.

DKom

Aug 7, 2009
I had the pleasure of playing in the US amateur at Pinehurst last year, and it is second to none... what a great venue and great experience it is. On top of that, during one of my practice rounds, my playing partner's caddy was Willie McRae. That guy told so many stories about caddying for Ben Hogan, Byron Nelson, etc. The stories he told about caddying in the Ryder Cup were priceless! Pinehurst is an absolute MUST play!!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.