• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ping Eye 2 and ISI-K RestoMod

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
Decided I was going to take on a little project over Christmas break.

Picked up a set of Ping Eye 2’s 3-LW and a set of Ping ISI-K’s 3-LW for a song. Ordered 2 sets of 3-LW True Temper Dynalite Gold XP’s and 20 Midsize Winn Dri-Tac Wrap grips.

Went to Harbor Frieght and got a Tumbler and Ceramic Media to re-tumble the heads. If anyone has questions on the process, let me know.

Pulled all the heads and stripped the paint fill. Put each head (2 at a time) in the tumbler for 30 minutes per side and they came out amazing! Goofed and didn’t get before pics. After pics once the clubs get back from Steve.

Both sets of heads pulled, stripped, tumbled and boxed. Shafts and grips boxed. Heading to FL to be assembled on Tuesday. Resto mod almost complete!!!

Thank you for your help @PaPaD

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
HUGELY disappointed!!! You need to lose Steve's contact info. While wintered in, we need something to look forward to. Knowing Nick did his own glue job again would leave us in excited anticipation of when the first head would fly off. You take away all our fun!!!!:D:D

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Oh! Looking forward to photos of the finished heads. The iSi-K's are an interesting club. The iSi line... SST, BeCu, and BeNi... were one of John Solheim's first efforts as Karsten was considering retirement. When rolled out, Karsten didn't think they were forgiving enough for the "average" player. He insisted on the "K" rendition which had a significantly larger club face than the "standard" iSi. Keeping the perimeter weighting design the same and the club head weight the same meant thinning out the face. I always thought they felt "tinny". Had a good friend, though, who played the "K" for years and was a low single-digit capper. He says he has never had another set of clubs he felt as comfortable with as the iSi-K.

OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
The Eye 2’s are iconic and need no introduction. The ISI-K’s are extremely interesting to me. Thin top line and sole on an oversized, offset, SGI club head. As a digger I hope to get along with them.

No aspirations of them knocking the Mizzy’s out of the bag but having them for a few rounds a year is going to be cool.

P.S. I’m glad Steve is doing the epoxy, my skills leave something to be desired.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
Eye2 are my Favorite Club set. Could get along with them fine as my only set for the rest of my golfing days. Do not like the + model as much, but they are ok too. I just prefer the Eye2. They are a great set top to bottom. I love the PW SW setup. Just seems to work for every shot you need. The 57.5 degree SW is money out of the sand and handles the high lofted shots you need around the greens. The 50.5 PW handles pitches and chips inside of 50 yards with ease.

I have a set of Eye2s that papaD bored out (sacrilege), but it allowed me to place a set of TT Multi Step shafts in them. Looking forward to seeing how they do with a softer tip shaft in them. Have always wanted to try a set without ZZ lite shafts.

OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Eye2 are my Favorite Club set. Could get along with them fine as my only set for the rest of my golfing days. Do not like the + model as much, but they are ok too. I just prefer the Eye2. They are a great set top to bottom. I love the PW SW setup. Just seems to work for every shot you need. The 57.5 degree SW is money out of the sand and handles the high lofted shots you need around the greens. The 50.5 PW handles pitches and chips inside of 50 yards with ease.

I have a set of Eye2s that papaD bored out (sacrilege), but it allowed me to place a set of TT Multi Step shafts in them. Looking forward to seeing how they do with a softer tip shaft in them. Have always wanted to try a set without ZZ lite shafts.

My thought exactly! The Dynalite Gold XP’s are the same weight as the ZZ lite shafts with a softer tip and higher launch. Looking forward to seeing how they perform.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
I have a set of Eye2s that papaD bored out (sacrilege), but it allowed me PapaD to place a set of TT Multi Step shafts in them. Looking forward to seeing how they do with a softer tip shaft in them. Have always wanted to try a set without ZZ lite shafts.
Fixed it................geezer needs credit.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Decided I was going to take on a little project over Christmas break.

Picked up a set of Ping Eye 2’s 3-LW and a set of Ping ISI-K’s 3-LW for a song. Ordered 2 sets of 3-LW True Temper Dynalite Gold XP’s and 20 Midsize Winn Dri-Tac Wrap grips.

Went to Harbor Frieght and got a Tumbler and Ceramic Media to re-tumble the heads. If anyone has questions on the process, let me know.

Pulled all the heads and stripped the paint fill. Put each head (2 at a time) in the tumbler for 30 minutes per side and they came out amazing! Goofed and didn’t get before pics. After pics once the clubs get back from Steve.

Both sets of heads pulled, stripped, tumbled and boxed. Shafts and grips boxed. Heading to FL to be assembled on Tuesday. Resto mod almost complete!!!

Thank you for your help @PaPaD

Subsonic, as my Last Tee sponsor, will be happy to know you are keeping the geezer busy, Nick. Looking forward to the project!

OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Higher launch than the ZZ Lites? You'll have the FAA knocking on your door arresting you for damaging aircraft!!!

I have you now.

TIE_target_FF7.png

Last edited:

🔥 Latest posts