• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

ping eye2 irons.....should I replace them?

drzzz

Sep 9, 2006
Country
United States United States
I was an avid golfer 15 years ago (played to about a 5 handicap) but now only play 10 times a year or so to a handicap of probably 10. I feel like I'm fairly knowledgeable about the golf swing, but haven't kept up on improvements in equipment. I do have fairly new woods (great big bertha II) but am still playing my old ping eye 2 irons. Any advice on whether these are completely outdated? suggestions on irons that play similarly to these or better? as forgiving?

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
Simply put you should get rid of anything in your bag that says PING on it. Just my $0.02

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Simply put you should get rid of anything in your bag that says PING on it. Just my $0.02

What he meant to say was unless you carry Ping Eye 2's get rid of anything Ping. Those are classic cavity back clubs and frankly unless you want a newer shinier set of clubs, you won't find much improvement in today's clubs versus those. Maybe a softer feel with some of the forged sets out there but not much improvement in playability. That's IMHO of course...

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
You'll find alot of PING haters here.............LOL. I used to have Ping Eye 2s and have had several different iron sets since..........the latest being PING G10s. None are better than the PING Eye 2s..............they are just fine. Just make sure you have good grips.

EHokie

They Like it When I Wag
Jun 24, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I was an avid golfer 15 years ago (played to about a 5 handicap) but now only play 10 times a year or so to a handicap of probably 10. I feel like I'm fairly knowledgeable about the golf swing, but haven't kept up on improvements in equipment. I do have fairly new woods (great big bertha II) but am still playing my old ping eye 2 irons. Any advice on whether these are completely outdated? suggestions on irons that play similarly to these or better? as forgiving?

I have a severely beaten Ping Eye 2 BeCu 7 iron - JUST the 7. I had it regripped a few months ago and it stayed in my bag until the new set of Revolution's arrived. I love that club. If I could afford an entire set I'd have them in a heartbeat. I'd advise that you keep them, and if not, send em my way. :smilie_pi

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I would just toss all the clubs back out into the garage & take up bowling, it will be a lot cheaper for you in the long run as opposed to taking anyones advice from here.:D

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
You can look at my signature and get my opinion before reading further!!!

Iron technology has not done much in the past twenty years. The main difference you will see between your Eye 2's and newer irons sets is the loft. In the early 90's, Cobra began the practice of selling "jacked up" lofts. It seemed macho if you could hit an 8-iron where your buddies were hitting 7's. Then, everyone got on the bandwagon. Today, a lot of guys are hitting pitching wedges with the same loft as your 8 iron. Doesn't make them better players. Doesn't make them any more accurate with their irons. Just strokes their ego.

If the Eye 2's are fit to your game and your swing, you can spend considerable money and not accomplish anything other than adding more "shine" to your bag.

Honestly, over the past decade, the most advances in technology have been with drivers. The move to 460cc's and low spin technology and some really new shaft technology has made today's drivers significantly better than yesterday's. Your GBBII's were good clubs, in their day. However, if you are looking for a way to spend money to advance your game, I'd look more to the upper end of the bag than the lower.

Just my 2 cents.....

ttcup

Apr 14, 2009
Ping Eye 2 is good iron set, i wouldn't replace it unless the condition gone bad.
The only improvement on today's iron is probably the loft. The loft on ur 3 iron is like 4 iron now.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Ping Eye 2 is good iron set, i wouldn't replace it unless the condition gone bad.
The only improvement on today's iron is probably the loft. The loft on ur 3 iron is like 4 iron now.

That's not an improvement. All they did was change the number on the bottom.

nixdad

Mar 4, 2008
Use a groove sharpener. I've heard they work really well. Makes the grooves like new, so I'm told.

Bignose

Oct 23, 2006
Use a groove sharpener. I've heard they work really well. Makes the grooves like new, so I'm told.

And quite possibly non-conforming, if that matters to you. If you think you'll ever play in a USGA sanctioned tournament, this may not be a good idea. If the grooves seem really worn, I'd have a professional re-groove them.

Considering what the OP has said how often he used them, I suspect that the grooves do NOT need to be re-sharpened.

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
Eye 2's are quite possibly the best cb iron ever made and that's coming from a guy who's not a fan of anything else PING.

EHokie

They Like it When I Wag
Jun 24, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Eye 2's are quite possibly the best cb iron ever made and that's coming from a guy who's not a fan of anything else PING.

They are amazing. But I personally would never play the regular ones, only the copper. I like em rare and expensive.

EDIT: I like em rare and expensive. - That's what she said.

🔥 Latest posts