• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

ping eye2 question

tdaniels

Pro Club Tosser
Nov 6, 2005
Hope you guys arent getting sick of my dumb questions but I got another one. Ive been thinking that maybe a set of ping eye 2's might be best for me. What is the difference between the orange, green, red, and black dots? Can anyone give me some info about these clubs? What are the best? They seem to be going relatively cheap on E-bay. Just dont want to get ripped off.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
I don't know the answer, but I believe Ping's website has the answer somewhere. I remember looking at it once, so it's there. Or at least it used to be.

OP
tdaniels

tdaniels

Pro Club Tosser
Nov 6, 2005
what about the ping g2's. they also seem to go pretty cheap compared to a the newer sets? Callaway Big Bertha fusion?

as you can probably tell I would like a set of callaways or pings, but dont have the $$$ for the new models. I am not good enough even if I did have the $$$ to justify buying something to costly. Just wanna show off a little I guess.

rebrag

Nov 17, 2005
Ping Eye2

I would suggest you go to the Ping website for information on the Ping color coding system. (www.pinggolf.com). The black dot color code is the Ping standard lie angle. I have a set of the Ping Eye2's, black dot.

As far as the Ping Eye2 performance, I have found my Eye2's very easy to hit. The only problem I've had is with shot distance. The Ping Eye2's were built with more loft than todays irons. The Pings tend to hit the ball higher because of their increased loft. I find them to be at least one iron shorter than today's modern irons.

Hope this helps, Al.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Not to move you away from your choice, but more curious as to why Ping/Cally?

Have you tried to hit some of the others, such as Mizuno and Cleveland?

A nice set to be had at good prices that provides excellent feedback as well as quality and ease of use are the Mizuno MX-23s. They can be had for sub $300 USD on ebay. I got mine over a year ago for about $320 USD and they've been nothing but excellent.

Just to look at alternatives, if you haven't already.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I agree with Silver here.

Also, if you are set on Ping, and are new to the game, then I'd look for something other than the eye2. These are a nice players CB iron (I think Calc still uses them). Ping makes some more forgiving irons like the i3 o-size, and the isi-k. Those are both excellent irons.

As far as Cleveland goes, the TA series (TA5, TA7) can be had on ebay for cheap, just like the Mizunos that Silver mentionned.

On a side note, Callaway must have some great marketing, seems everyone wants Cally irons. I am sure about 30% of my club are playing some sort of Callaway irons?!?!?!? I have never owned a Callaway product, but even I can remember about 10 years ago when I was just getting into the game and longing for some BB Irons. Thank god, I didn't get them... I might be as screwed up as R35 if I had :D

OP
tdaniels

tdaniels

Pro Club Tosser
Nov 6, 2005
Silver said:
Not to move you away from your choice, but more curious as to why Ping/Cally?
I guess for the same reason that Im here, because I really dont know anything about clubs. They are just what I here about the most.

I will definatley look into these other brands and models that everyone is talking about.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
You probably hear the most about them because they seem to have the most effective marketing to high handicappers.

czervik

Nov 21, 2005
MAROON 5-DEGREES UPRIGHT
aecho.leaderboard.com_cleardot.gif

SILVER 4-DEGREES UPRIGHT

WHITE 3-DEGREES UPRIGHT

GREEN 2-DEGREES UPRIGHT

BLUE 1-DEGREE UPRIGHT

BLACK STANDARD LIE

RED 1-DEGREE FLAT

ORANGE 2-DEGREES FLAT

BROWN 3-DEGREES FLAT

GOLD 4-DEGREES FLAT

here you go. I had these clubs for 15 years and really loved them.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
VtDivot said:
I have never owned a Callaway product, but even I can remember about 10 years ago when I was just getting into the game and longing for some BB Irons. Thank god, I didn't get them... I might be as screwed up as R35 if I had :D

The 2003 and 2004 versions of the Big Bertha Irons are oustanding. Fat soles and delofted through the set, they get that ball airborne and flying, which is what you want as a beginner. The 2 iron was as easy to hit as the 9 iron and they were very easy to stand over.

You can probably get a set used for cheap on E-bay. Get steel shafts, stay away from graphite in the irons.

Another choice, if you can find a set cheap, is the VFT irons from Callaway. They were crazy ass expensive, but they are SUPER forgiving, almost that it's like cheating. Not that hot to look at, however.

I have a friend that plays Ping Eyes, and ever since hitting the I3's, he's been looking for a set to replaces his Eyes....

R35

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Rockford35 said:
I have a friend that plays Ping Eyes, and ever since hitting the I3's, he's been looking for a set to replaces his Eyes....

R35

After seeing Mrs. Rockford, I've been trying to replace my eyes too.... damn...

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
VtDivot said:
After seeing Mrs. Rockford, I've been trying to replace my eyes too.... damn...

Looking at the sun doesn't give as much pain. ;)

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online