• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

PING G10 Iron Questions

Volunteer_Golfer

I need a set of Ping G10s
Jun 3, 2009
Ahh... My first thread. I just found this forum today and I have really enjoyed reading through most of the threads, but I couldn't find much on the PING G10s so I need some advice.

I discovered the G10s at my pro shop and took a demo out last week and hit about 70 balls on the range with it this week (they probably wouldn't like hearing that, but if I'm going to spend $800 on a set of clubs i want to be sure ya know). My shots were like night and day when compared to my grandfathers 10-15 year old oversized Dunlop graphite irons (ha who would have guessed). I'm 22, so naturally my friends all give me hell about my senior irons.

Anyway, I can hit the G10s consistently straight and place my shots with a fade, but I cannot put draw on them to save my life, none. I know they are heavily toe-weighted and thus not as workable as say the i10s or S58s. I do understand that putting draw on a swing is very difficult, but does anyone else have enough experience with these irons to tell me that i'll eventually be able to draw my shots with them?

Next question: I have seen the difference in the resale value of the Black Dot Ping Eye 2s in comparison with other lengths and lofts, so I would like to buy the Black Dot G10s (which is what I was swinging). Is it a bad idea to insist on the standard irons if Edwinn Watts recomends a different setup for me?

Also, does anyone know anything about the different grips that PING offers and what the advantages of each would be (I know nothing about this topic except that I really like the Lamkin grip on my PW)?

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I love my G10s, but I would recommend going by the Ping website to see what your lie should be. I had G5s in the standard black dot lie 2 years ago because that is what my Ping Eye2s were back in the '90s. Ping recommended green dot for me, and that is what I should have had. I got the G10s in green dot and it made a world of difference for me. I can't work the ball with them though right to left. Left to right, yes. Before you pay the $800, try a set of Wilson Di9s out. I tried some on Demo Day at our course yesterday, and was very impressed. I was able to work the ball left to right, and they were as easy to hit as my Pings, at much less money. Beautiful looking clubs also. I wish I had waited and gotten those. $499 steel shaft, $599 graphite.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Welcome to the board, VG.

The G10 is an excellent forgiving club that will last for years and years. The playability of the clubs is pretty good too and your observation of the clubs not being able to move right to left is contrary to most reports. In fact, one of the biggest complaints is that the clubs lend themselves a little too much to that ball flight. However, that is actually a good thing considering the target audience for the club line. What I'm saying is, keep working on the swing as the club won't prevent you from working the ball right to left.

With that being said though, I highly recommend getting fitted for the Pings and not simply buying OTR. One of the biggest benefits of going with Ping is their commitment to fitting. Knowledgeable Ping fitters are out there and they don't charge extra fees for the fitting. The fitter will observe your ball flight and use a lie board to determine the proper color code for you. You're swinging black dots and can't get the ball to go left so maybe black isn't your proper color code, a more upright color code may be more appropriate. You can cruise over to the Ping website and do an online fitting that will recommend a color code based on some basic measurements. The fitter will start with the web fitting recommendation and the adjust accordingly after observing your swing dynamically. Best of all, the custom sets are ordered from Ping and generally take about a week to arrive so it isn't like you'll be waiting for months on end.

As for the grips, they're made by Golf Pride and are very similar to the Tour Velvet in feel and durability. They also use a similar color code for sizing.

Good luck!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
1. If you're going to spend the loot for a new set of Pings... get fit by an authorized Ping fitter. Go to Pings website to find the fitter closest to you. No sense in beginning your experience, handicapped, with clubs that don't fit.

2. Ping also color codes their grips. White is standard, yellow midsize, aqua is undersize, etc. Again, on Ping's site, you'll find some finger to palm measurements that would steer you to the correct grip size. Also, the Ping fitter should have some different grips on clubs in the fitting cart to assure you the correct grip.

3. As the one poster stated, you'll hear more complaints about the offset of Pings going left than right. However, the G10's are a pretty forgiving iron and like to hit the ball fairly straight. I wonder if part of the fade vs. draw problem may well have been fit... lie angle. If you, for instance, were hitting a black dot but need a green dot... the ball will go right. If you hit a black dot and should be in a red dot... the ball will go left. Being properly fit should have you seeing the ball trajectory you desire.

This is a rather large investment. You have taken the first step by demoing a club and finding a level of conficence. Get fit. Order your Pings. Those Pings will offer you many, many years of enjoyment of a rather frustrating game!!! Good luck!!!!!!

jerome

Aug 25, 2006
Another good thing about the whole G10 line is that they are now on sale. $600 for G10 or i10 irons is a really good value.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
There is also the i10 line if you want to work the ball but a little less forgiving. And the S58's or S57's are great clubs too. :)

OP
Volunteer_Golfer

Volunteer_Golfer

I need a set of Ping G10s
Jun 3, 2009
Muchas Gracias to both of you! I will heed your advice on going with a fitted set to see if I can work the ball better with a different configuration. I can see where you're coming from with respect the the ball flight being a little biased L>R as I slice my current irons a lot, but the G10s seem to correct that.

As for my concern with the resale value, I should know better as I'm pretty sure I'll keep them till I die. One of my golf buddies has a set of BeCu Eye 2's from the late 80's that feel and look like they are new. The durability of those clubs, as Chemboy2 mentioned, is a big reason I am set on the G10's, but I will try to get my hands on those Wilson clubs before I make my decision.

Just to clarify what you said about the grips; PING installs different grips relative to the color code or relative to your grip on the club, hand size, swing, etc or did I miss interpret?

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Just to clarify what you said about the grips; PING installs different grips relative to the color code or relative to your grip on the club, hand size, swing, etc or did I miss interpret?
They color code their grips to your hand size. Also, if you're ordering, I believe you can get non-Ping grips. Go to their website and you can see all the choices you have if you look around. They used to have a custom order section with lists of shafts and grips that are available. You can also see the color codes for the heads and grips.

Good Luck!!

PINGELI

Sep 7, 2007
Ahh... My first thread. I just found this forum today and I have really enjoyed reading through most of the threads, but I couldn't find much on the PING G10s so I need some advice.

I discovered the G10s at my pro shop and took a demo out last week and hit about 70 balls on the range with it this week (they probably wouldn't like hearing that, but if I'm going to spend $800 on a set of clubs i want to be sure ya know). My shots were like night and day when compared to my grandfathers 10-15 year old oversized Dunlop graphite irons (ha who would have guessed). I'm 22, so naturally my friends all give me hell about my senior irons.

Anyway, I can hit the G10s consistently straight and place my shots with a fade, but I cannot put draw on them to save my life, none. I know they are heavily toe-weighted and thus not as workable as say the i10s or S58s. I do understand that putting draw on a swing is very difficult, but does anyone else have enough experience with these irons to tell me that i'll eventually be able to draw my shots with them?

Next question: I have seen the difference in the resale value of the Black Dot Ping Eye 2s in comparison with other lengths and lofts, so I would like to buy the Black Dot G10s (which is what I was swinging). Is it a bad idea to insist on the standard irons if Edwinn Watts recomends a different setup for me?

Also, does anyone know anything about the different grips that PING offers and what the advantages of each would be (I know nothing about this topic except that I really like the Lamkin grip on my PW)?

Welcome to the wonderful world of PING golf equipment...the finest golf equipment available (and most is still made right here in the USA). Go to the PING website and do the WEB-FIT system first to get a rough idea. Then go to an authorized PING fitter with your webfit info. They should have you hit various clubs (differnet color codes, lengths, etc) to dial in exactly what you need. The white color code grips are standard. Yellow are 1/32" oversized. Aqua are 1/64" undersized. Orange are 1/16" oversized (of course you can also go in between and have PING use extra wraps of tape if you desire such as a 1/32" oversize grip with one extra layer of tape). PING's standard grip is the 703. It has a "flame" pattern and has a "cushy" feel without being too soft. The NTS grips are a wrap-style grip (like the Golf Pride Tour Wrap or Lamkin perma-wrap). Right now, there is no NTS cord wgrip (unfortunately) but there is a 703 cord grip. The cord grips are an upcharge of approx. $6 extra per club. Also, I HIGHLY recommend getting the Cushin inserts if you get steel shafts. They dampen vibration. PING will have several shaft options for you as well (depending on your preference and what your fitter recommends). Turn-around time is about one week after the clubs are ordered (you can order them on a Monday and have them in your hands to play by Saturday, generally).

If you are worried about resale value, don't be. PINGs (regardless of color code) hold their resale value better than any other OEM. Also, no matter what color code you are, there will ALWAYS be someone else in that same code looking for clubs. Just a thought...if you decide you want he G series (G10, etc), the G5 model is now selling for about $500 or so brand new. There is very little difference between the g10 and G5 (the G5 is simply a model that was introduced three years ago. The G10 was introdiced last year to be a slight upgrade.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
The G5's I had (while great clubs) were not as good as the G10's sssmokin has (I hit them). The G10's (or i10's) are the way to go. :)

🔥 Latest posts