• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ping G15 or G10 for $125 less??

Rosmo

All around nice guy
Apr 22, 2005
So I was at Dick's this morning looking at the G15's for my next driver, retail price $299. As I was looking around a little more I found that they also have the G10's for $174. So I come to you for advice, I have hit a friends G15 a few times and really liked it hence the reason for my looking at them but I just wanted to check here first to see if maybe the G10 is the better deal.

So is the G15 worth the extra money?

Rosmo

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Frankly, I find it hard to believe that any driver made over the last 8 years is significantly better than any other driver made in the last 8 years if it is the proper loft and face-angle for you. So, a G15 with specs-X compared to a G10 with specs-X is not worth even 10$ more in terms of playability to me.

The reason I switched to a Wishon 919THI driver is physical; Wishon makes drivers that have virtually no roll from top-to-bottom of the face. I like what this does to my launch angle (makes it almost offensively consistent). But will I buy the "new" 919THI? Nope. I actually just bought an identical head compared to the one I have now with a different shaft in it that I'm excited to try.

If you were looking at an adjustable driver and you don't already have one, that'd possibly be a reason to buy new. If you were looking at a driver with a shaft that performed better for you, that would also be a good purchase (maybe). If you were looking at a driver that had a truly unique design, like the Wishon, that might be a valid reason to buy. But buying something just because it's newer, unless it costs the same, is not financially sensible. And 40% less is a STRONG reason to buy the "old" one.

If you're fitted properly, or even close to properly, the USGA does not really allow you to hit any particular driver head farther than any other particular driver head. Shafts can make a difference, as can length, grip size, face angle, etc. But the name/code on the bottom should not matter.

When buying a club or comparing, forget what came out when and think of what you're actually buying. What are the differences between the G10 and the G15?

I don't doubt that the G15 is good, or even awesome. But I bet the G10 is just as good, or awesome.

Don't get me wrong though, having something "new" is a lot of fun. The G15 is not "worth" more than the G10 in playability, almost guaranteed. But if you ENJOY having the newest thing, or if you'll personally REGRET buying the "old" one (how old is it, really?), then you ARE doing yourself a disservice buying the G10.

So, in closing, it is financially stupid to buy the newer club because it's newer. But some things in life are more important than money. They'll play the same, but if you'll find more enjoyment in the G15, go for it.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
My God..............$174???? Snap those babies up. What a deal. I hit the G15s and saw no difference at all from my G10s. You will NEVER find another deal like that. Are they trade-ins? Even so, you can't find a set of used G10s in good condition for under $350-$400. And if it's from Dick's, you know they aren't Chinese fakes.

shep3470

Apr 5, 2009
Omaha, NE
The only advice you need is.......GET ON A LAUNCH MONITOR. If you are just simply buying a club without changing the shaft, see which is the best fit for you. Seeing that you are a 2 handicap, according to your profile, you should know this.

OP
Rosmo

Rosmo

All around nice guy
Apr 22, 2005
Decided on the G15. Took it to the range and liked it a lot even with the stock shaft. I'll take it in to the surgeon tomorrow and have them fit her with a nice shiny new shaft. Just not quite sure which one at the moment. Only one decision a day :)

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
There's probably no better driver than the 905R I had in my bag for years for me - but that didn't stop me from buying a host of others to play around with. That's part of the fun of it.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
So you bought the more expensive head which is no different from the older and cheaper one, and you're going to change the shaft anyway?

Good grief.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.