• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ping G2 vs Big Bertha 454 Drivers

Woosey

Handicap is to high!!
Mar 23, 2005
Well i know im new to the forum, however i have spent a lot of time with both clubs and feel i should add my findings!!:)

first off im a 16 handicap but hit a fairly decent drive (250-280yards)

My current driver was a taylor made supersteel 10.5 degree, which i just couldnt get on with, so i decided to sort that this year and started looking at other drivers.

My pro shop very kindly let me have a loan of 3 Ping G2's (10degree firm, 10 degree regular and 11.5 degree regular) and 3 Big Bertha's (10 degree firm, 10 degree regular and 11 degree regular) and off i set onto the course and range!!

First off these club heads are huge compared to my taylor made!! When i first picked up the clubs, i took a shine to the ping at first, its a very nice looking club!! Also my father has all ping gear and always has since the izo II irons were out!!.

So onto the course/range.

First off both drivers are incredibly easy to hit, i mean even some that were more of the heel/toe were superb, much more forgiving that im used too!!

after using the firm shafts are first i kept getting a bit of fade, so to the regular shaft i went!! I was a bit put of at only 10 degrees of loft but this was more than enough with both brands, the drivers had superb flight, nice and high and very very far!!

So it came to today, the last day of my week loan and i had to make a choice, went out for one last round and i have to say there was a clear favourate for me, this was the callaway, it just seemed a little better than the ping, it makes a better noise when you hit that sweet spot and i found it gave me about 5-10 yards on the ping (not a lot i know, but every little helps!!)

So in the end i ordered a Callaway but in 11 degree and regular shaft, i found this to be the best club for me that i had out on loan!!

Thanks

Chris

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Welcome aboard Chris!

I'm glad you posted this, I have had my eye on the 545, I have not hit it yet but I did check it out the other day at a local golf store.....it has a funky reminder grip on it and I think it's ugly as sin but it also looks like it could really hurt a golf ball. :)

MAHALLEDAY

Mikey Dangerous
Nov 29, 2004
Two words......454 :). Ping eats anus, also see Cleveland 460 Comp, and Mizuno MP-001. Cheers

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Slingblade61 said:
Welcome aboard Chris!

I'm glad you posted this, I have had my eye on the 545, I have not hit it yet but I did check it out the other day at a local golf store.....it has a funky reminder grip on it and I think it's ugly as sin but it also looks like it could really hurt a golf ball. :)

Callaway has a 545? ;)

(Couldn't resist, Dr. Evil...)

As an aside, by reminder grip, do you mean a rib on the bottom?

R35

Mizuno MPed

Fore!
Mar 11, 2005
hahah lol yeah u posted before i did. 545 omg thats bigger than pam lee's giant boobies. LOL. Eh, be nice to pings. I can say that they are one of the best drivers out there. I have not hit the callaway but thats bc i love my titleist...

MAHALLEDAY

Mikey Dangerous
Nov 29, 2004
I loved the TEC drivers and I didnt mind the SI3 but I just can't enjoy the G2 at all. And I have never been a fan of ping irons. I dont liek the feel at all and they look dare I say worse than Callaway.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
That 454 looks nice. I was looking at Golfsmiths site and they are offering it with a choice of six shafts with no difference in price. Smart move on their part.

MAHALLEDAY

Mikey Dangerous
Nov 29, 2004
I hit a 454 305 (9.5 stiff) in a sim on the weekend. it was longer then the mizuno and the clevelan comp. didnt liek the feel as much though.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I just hit the G2 and it's decent. Frames the ball nice, but feedback isn't outstanding.

The 454 looks smaller at address than it really is. Put it next to the Launcher 460 and the Nike 460, it looks like a warbird. The latter of those three are just enourmous.

The shaft options at no price increase is a nice touch. Allows you to tailor you club without having to pay an upcharge. And, in addition to that, it won't be bumped up in price when pre-owned....

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Callaway Hedging Their Bets

Looks like the money back on the 454 if Phil wins is a limited offer.

I went to Callaways site and the offer only comes up when you choose UK, Sweden or Germany.

Makes sense I guess. The potential refund in the States would be huge.

Mizuno MPed

Fore!
Mar 11, 2005
someone said the calla are longer than the miz and the comps? Wow i just hit around 300 with the comp at the range. And the range balls suck too... I will go check out the callaways tmr though

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
The big bertha 454 is currently the longest driver out there. Reignin long drive champ uses one.

At least that's what the commercial says and shows..... ;)

R35

🔥 Latest posts

Members online