• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ping G20 v. i20....thoughts???

drzzz

Sep 9, 2006
Country
United States United States
I had a set of old ping eye2 irons that I loved (and played to a 6 handicap when I was in college). I traded those for an off-the-rack set of TaylorMade irons about 3 years ago; I hate these irons. I'm going back to Ping. My question is this: since I play much less frequently now (fewer than 20 times per year) and to only a handicap of 12-14, what is the better iron set for me, the G20 or i20? I plan on playing more and getting back to my old form. Also, is web-fitting good enough to purchase a custom set or do I need to actually hit a few shots with a fitter?
Thanks!!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Thats a good deal on those. I'm with Azgreg, get another set of Eye 2's. Do you remember what the color code you had was?

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
Man does this thread bring back memories. My Ping Eye 2's were the best clubs I've ever owned. I've got G10's now, but they are nothing like the Eye 2's. If you want to "work" the ball, get the i20's. If you want to actually "hit" the ball, get the G20's. Or better yet like these guys say..............get the used Eye 2's.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I say any I series set, if you played to a 6 at any point... you have a clue. The Eye2's are the most gawd-awful looking things ever. Don't know how anyone ever played them without upchucking prior to any shot where an Eye2 was called upon. I've actually never hit them though so they could be fantastic gamers and i'd never know it because I can't look at them. Probably wont have to wait too long before they re-release the iron set like they did the wedges.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
You have to figure that a couple of hours with a good fitter will cost $200 or so? Some will prorate that towards the cost of a new set of clubs.

Anyhow, I have a set of i10 irons 4-W, currently blue dot but can be easily bent as you know, can be shafted with either ZZ-65 stiff or CZ-Lite stiff, or just the heads. Can be yours relatively cheaply. If interested, PM me.

They are good clubs, they just haven't helped me.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
First, I second the recommendation to find a good set of Eye 2's. (Look at my signature!) It is getting difficult, however, to find sets that are complete and have not had a couple of shafts changed/replaced by people of unknown skill levels. So...

One of the guys who plays, occasionally, in our group ordered a new set of I20's this winter. He is really struggling and wishes, now, he would have gone to the G20 irons. I love the look of the I20 series. Wow! They are getting excellent reviews on some of the other sites. However, they are much more of a "player's" club than either the G Series or the Eye 2.

Some also suggest that the I5 was one of the closest "I" Series to the old Eye 2 and Eye 2+ lines. You might be able to find a pristine set of the I5's and get by with less out of pocket.

Finally... my recommendation. Order a set of the I20's, blue dot, 1/4" long... ASAP. If they work out, fine. If not, I'll give you $100 for them so you don't lose your entire investment!!!! :>)

20 PAT's

Jun 21, 2009
I played the Eye 2+s for 18 years before switching to my Cobra CBs. This winter I left my CBs in Florida not expecting to play golf in Vermont in March. I broke out the Eye 2+s last week and have to admit they are pretty good. The look took a while getting used to, but the feel was not as bad as expected.
So, I would just get a set of Eye2s if I were in your shoes. The fitting with Ping is essentially a static fitting, you can do it yourself.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Won't Ping make you a set of Eye2's if you pay? I know they will make some that are not current. It might say on the Ping website.

🔥 Latest posts