• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ping G25 Driver

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
United States United States
I posted a couple of months ago about my new 12* TM M6 driver which replaced a 10.5* Callaway Rogue. Well, while I had early success I found it really didn't consistently improve my driving. Also I didn't really pick up any distance off the tee. Out of frustration I pulled out my old 10.5 Ping G25 (adjusted to 11*). Guess what; I drove it straighter and longer. I'm trying to remember why I took it out of the bag six years ago.
Anyway, I'm wondering if any of you are still playing the G25. I saw somewhere it's still rated the best driver for us seniors.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
One of the guys in our group has his bag filled with G25's. Driver, fairways, hybrids, irons. He is one of the best drivers of the ball in our group. Now... if he could only putt!!! :>)
Another one of our guys just benched a fairly recent Taylor Made and dug out an old G2. Says he doesn't know why he tried to stick with the TM this long. The G2 isn't any longer for him. Just more consistent.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I have yet to find a ping driver or wedge that I played really well with. Love their irons and a few of their putters. Wedges are just too light for me. Drivers, not sure what it is, maybe the look or weighting.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I have yet to find a ping driver or wedge that I played really well with. Love their irons and a few of their putters. Wedges are just too light for me. Drivers, not sure what it is, maybe the look or weighting.
Personally, I'm in the same boat. Only had two Ping drivers over the years and did not get along well with either one. The first was Ping's first effort to enter the metal driver market. The Zing 2 driver was released in 1994 and I had one of the first to hit the Kansas City area. Sounded like breaking glass! Took it to a busy driving range and people would stop hitting balls to see where that god-awful sound was coming from. Didn't venture back to the Ping drivers until the G400. Just could not seem to get it to work for me. Now... I would venture that, over the years, I've owned more Ping irons than even Steve!! Three sets of Ping irons now. Just never seemed to be attracted to their drivers.
That does not detract from the quality and performance of the Ping drivers for hundreds of people who play this game and play it well. I would have no issue with putting a G25 or G30 in my bag today... or one of the even more recent releases.

OP
Hoganman1

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
Personally, I'm in the same boat. Only had two Ping drivers over the years and did not get along well with either one. The first was Ping's first effort to enter the metal driver market. The Zing 2 driver was released in 1994 and I had one of the first to hit the Kansas City area. Sounded like breaking glass! Took it to a busy driving range and people would stop hitting balls to see where that god-awful sound was coming from. Didn't venture back to the Ping drivers until the G400. Just could not seem to get it to work for me. Now... I would venture that, over the years, I've owned more Ping irons than even Steve!! Three sets of Ping irons now. Just never seemed to be attracted to their drivers.
That does not detract from the quality and performance of the Ping drivers for hundreds of people who play this game and play it well. I would have no issue with putting a G25 or G30 in my bag today... or one of the even more recent releases.

Actually, this is the only Ping driver I've ever owned. I played the original Eye 2 irons forever and had several of their putters.Until the G series, their drivers were as ugly as a bowling shoe. I actually bought this G25 used. Our club used to have a barrel where people put clubs they no longer wanted with a name and price. Six years ago I was making the turn after missing every fairway on the front with my Callaway FT 5. Frustrated, I grabbed the Ping out of the barrel and hit every fairway on the back. Why I ever put it in the garage is still a mystery. I wish we still had the barrel because I've got two drivers to put in it.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I still hzve my G5...never let me down.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Hoganman1

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
Update: I recently played with a friend who had a Ping G400. He let me try it and I really liked it. I see Dick's has them for $249. I'm thinking of trading my TM M6 and getting a G400. My friend said I can try playing a whole round with his before I make the purchase. That always works better for me than an indoor fitting.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I have yet to meet one person who has hit the G400 and not like it.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I have yet to meet one person who has hit the G400 and not like it.
ME!! Bought one and tired like heck to make it work. Just could never get it to do anything for me. Went back to Callaway. I believe if I had gone with the G400 Max, we might have got along.

OP
Hoganman1

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
We'll see what happens. I still have the Rogue I bought a couple of years ago. I may end up going back and forth between the two. Unlike my putter, which I've had for over a decade; I tend to "keep falling in and out of love" (as Pure Prairie League would say) with drivers.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
And quite lucky you are!! :>)
tenor.gif

Members online

No members online now.