• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ping G5 Question

Bama Duffer

Mar 14, 2005
I've been fortunate enough to come into possession of a free brand new Ping G5 driver with a Graffaloy Prolaunch shaft. The club was a gift for participation in a recent golf tournament. I liked the way it felt on the driving range during the fitting. Everything I hit was long and relatively straight.

I'm not unhappy with the TM R580 driver I play with currently, but I do have a Ping Craz-E putter that I think has made a difference in my putting and I don't want to let a long-standing anti-Ping bias make me miss out on switching to a good club. Especially since it was free.

I'm looking for advice from anyone who has played the Ping G5 (or similar G2) as to whether I should try out the club or trade it in still wrapped and try to negotiate for full credit with Ed Watts or another local store. I don't know that I'd get enough on a trade-in to make it worthwhile and it's not like I need any new equipment right now.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
If you hit the 580 well, don't fix what ain't broke. Trade that G5 in for a new bag and some balls.

I hate, HATE, buying new drivers. I dial one in so that I could land a drive on a dime in the fairway, and I think I need something new. It's the trouble with being a ho.

I'm gonna keep this Launcher for a while. It ain't broke, so no sense buying a G5, even if it's a great driver.

Know what I mean?

R35

trob

Apr 2, 2006
On the other hand the ping was fitted for you...was the old club? If not I would suggest useing the ping. Everyone says how much better it is for your game to get your club fitted not to mention the ping has been picked best new driver but a few different reviews that I've read. I would use the ping. why are you anti ping?

BTW..I have all pings in my bag so I might be considered a bit bias. lol

OP
Bama Duffer

Bama Duffer

Mar 14, 2005
Rock--I wouldn't exactly say that I dial in any driver and I have a couple I switch out at times (TM Steel 200 and Titleist J75). I'm just not sure that the Ping will offer my any real advantage over the others. Here lately I've been pretty consistent with the 580.

trob--I guess I'm anti-Ping due to old age. I'm old enough to still remember when everyone on the course played with real woods. When I was in college back in the late 70's/early 80's, Ping became the rage and since I was a nonconformist, I refused to join in. And that dislike has continued. Basically it's old fart disease. But I'm adjusting. It's just taken me 25 years.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
I would switch to the G5.

You will eventually have to learn how to hit a 460CC driver. Why not learn on a brand new, top of the line, G5 for FREE? The bigger head should be more forgiving than the 580 also.

The only excuse I can see for folks to NOT play with newer technology and the largest legal clubhead size is cost. Since this driver cost you nothing, cost has been removed from the equation.

I say switch. It's not like you can't switch back if it doesn't work. It will work though, I'm pretty sure.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
I might add one more variable into the equation...playability for your particular swing and mindset. I have ping irons and utility clubs but can't seem to get rid of my 983K, playability has much to do with that choice.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Augster said:
I would switch to the G5.

You will eventually have to learn how to hit a 460CC driver. Why not learn on a brand new, top of the line, G5 for FREE? The bigger head should be more forgiving than the 580 also.

FYI the 580 is 440 cc, so it's almost as big as the G5

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Rockford35 said:
If you hit the 580 well, don't fix what ain't broke. Trade that G5 in for a new bag and some balls.

I hate, HATE, buying new drivers. I dial one in so that I could land a drive on a dime in the fairway, and I think I need something new. It's the trouble with being a ho.

I'm gonna keep this Launcher for a while. It ain't broke, so no sense buying a G5, even if it's a great driver.

Know what I mean?

R35

Wish I had have read that *before* I went and bought a new set of irons. A new set of irons that I now need to get back to standad spec. and try and sell again....:(

🔥 Latest posts