• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ping i10 Iron Fitting

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
We will be expecting a full blown review... :D

Will do after a few more range sessions and a round or two. Gotta make sure the newness wears off for a proper review. :D

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Will do after a few more range sessions and a round or two. Gotta make sure the newness wears off for a proper review. :D
Taking the new sticks out for a spin this morning? Or just up early?

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
The i10's are not going anywhere. I have played golf so infrequently over the last several months due to several factors, but the i10's have been the most consistent clubs in my bag even when I do not get the practice time in. I have not felt so comfortable in a set of irons in over 15 years when I was playing 3 to 4 times a week.

The i10 wedge experiment has been very successful. The custom TS Grind really opens up the options on these babies and I am comfortable hitting them from any lie, even the 54* SW. I always had issues hitting a higher bounce sand wedge on tight lies or fairway lies, but with the TS Grind that shot is back in the bag for me. The consistent feel from 5 iron down through my lob wedge is very comforting. I do not have to adjust my swing as I transition into full wedge shots which has lead to greater shot options as I can now hit full wedge shots consistently. While I loved my Srixons, the one shot I could not pull off well was a full wedge shot. I was limited to a 3/4 shot and under which put more pressure on me to perform less than full shots with my pitching wedge.

While I am still susceptible to that inner Ho, I believe the i10's are going to stay in the bag for quite some time.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
This is great to hear, err, read!

My G10/i10 combe set arrived on Wednesday afternoon. I've already been to the range twice and have hit a couple hundred balls with them. Obsiously it is early but I am very pleased so far. I'm playing this afternoon so we'll see how they do on course.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
This is great to hear, err, read!

My G10/i10 combe set arrived on Wednesday afternoon. I've already been to the range twice and have hit a couple hundred balls with them. Obsiously it is early but I am very pleased so far. I'm playing this afternoon so we'll see how they do on course.

Sweat! I can not wait to hear how they played for you. I know I will catch hell for this, but the i10's, to me, feel better than most forged irons I have attempted to play. Not quite as buttery smooth as the MP-60's, but the i10's are really close and have given me the best distance control I have had in a long time.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I'm not surprised. First time I played my i3's, I knew they were staying for a while.

For some reason I really like the i5's...couldn't hurt to have 2 sets of Pings, could it?? :D

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I'm not surprised. First time I played my i3's, I knew they were staying for a while.

For some reason I really like the i5's...couldn't hurt to have 2 sets of Pings, could it?? :D

Not at all, I still have my set of Eye 2+'s. :laugh:

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Its a good time for deals on the bay lately. Too good to pass up, unfortunately, for my paypal account. :laugh:

I should find a way to block eBay on my computer so that I could avoid those club ho'ing urges.

I liked the i5's when I hit them, I just preferred the i10's and how they helped my ball flight. I was really close to just getting a new set of Eye 2+'s from Ping, but after hitting the i10's I just knew I had to have a set.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004

Depends. It can if you've committed to SWMBO that you're selling one set prior to getting the second set and then the second set arrives while the first set is still in the garage...

I'm seriously considering a set of i5's after we get past the holidays. Just so I can have some.

See above, PM if you're serious about picking up some i5's...

Sweat! I can not wait to hear how they played for you. I know I will catch hell for this, but the i10's, to me, feel better than most forged irons I have attempted to play. Not quite as buttery smooth as the MP-60's, but the i10's are really close and have given me the best distance control I have had in a long time.

I LOVED the feel of the i5 and the i10 feels just as good to me. I bought my i5s right before the i10 came out and as soon as the i10 was released I had some remorse. The i5 is an awesome club that has served me very well but I like that the i10 is just that little bit smaller. I prefer the look of a player's club but require the forgiveness of a true cavity back. The i5 is almost that club but the i10 IS that club.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
The i5 is almost that club but the i10 IS that club.

Yupper. :D

I knew from day 1 when I first saw them that I would eventually get a set. I held off hitting them for so long to avoid the expense, but once that tax rebate check arrived I had no more excuses. :D

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Yupper. :D

I knew from day 1 when I first saw them that I would eventually get a set. I held off hitting them for so long to avoid the expense, but once that tax rebate check arrived I had no more excuses. :D

Exactly. I was avoiding them as well but then got a little bonus at work...

I picked up the G10 for the 4 and 5 as long irons have always been the weakest spot in my game. My G5 5 iron was the first 5 iron that I could hit with any consistency and, therefore, confidence and my G2 4HL was the first 4 iron that I could ever hit, period. The G10 long irons pick up where the G2/5 left off and are just stupid easy to hit!

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I have essentually given up on hitting 4 iron or higher consistantly. I do not play/practive often enough to get a consistant swing on the longer irons. I could play my Eye 2+ 4 iron, but the loft is weaker than the modern lofts and the club is a tad shorter than a modern 4 iron.

The Bobby Jones hybrids have filled the gaps quite nicely for me and I do not see them leaving the bag anytime soon. They are the most consistant hybrids I have hit with graphite shafts in them and I love their versatility out of various lies. In the Bermuda rough down here, trying to hit an iron out of a nestled lie above a 7 iron is asking a lot from your swing. The Jones hybrids get through the Bermuda a whole lot cleaner than the irons do and have allowed me to hit shots that were once next to impossible for my game.

Sound like the G10's should gap just perfectly for you and get you to your hybrid with fairly even gaps. Adjusting from the G2/G5 higher irons should be fairly simple.

🔥 Latest posts