• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ping i10 Iron Fitting

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I'm getting fitted on Saturday for irons and the G10/I10 combo set is something that is interesting to me, is it common to combine the sets, using the G10 for longer irons and I10 for scoring clubs?

any feedback is appreciated

I have seen several sets like that advertised on ebay, but, IMHO, the i10s are so easy to hit, even the 4 iron, that it's probably not necessary.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I noticed you also are using a Rapture driver. Snuck that one by me somehow. :D Weird is my Ping irons are also blue dot and 1/4" over. But I would have got the S58's or S57's. They are not that hard to hit. But the i10's are better then the G10's for sure. :)

Another wise golfer comes over to the dark side... :D

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I'm getting fitted on Saturday for irons and the G10/I10 combo set is something that is interesting to me, is it common to combine the sets, using the G10 for longer irons and I10 for scoring clubs?

any feedback is appreciated

I wouldn't say it is all that common but the beauty of PING though is that it is possible!

I'm not strong with my long irons so, although Doc says the i10 long irons are forgiving I wouldn't know as I went with the G10s. In hindsight, I wished I would've gone with an i5/i10 combo set and just got the "guyson" finish on the i5 long irons. The G10 to i10 transition isn't as smooth as the G5/i5 combo set I played previously.

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
I wouldn't say it is all that common but the beauty of PING though is that it is possible!

I'm not strong with my long irons so, although Doc says the i10 long irons are forgiving I wouldn't know as I went with the G10s. In hindsight, I wished I would've gone with an i5/i10 combo set and just got the "guyson" finish on the i5 long irons. The G10 to i10 transition isn't as smooth as the G5/i5 combo set I played previously.

Hey Chemoy2, how did the AWT shafts work out for you? Did you notice a vast difference in ball flight versus the CS Lites?

Currently gaming Ping's highest launching irons (Raptures) with Ping's highest launching shafts (CS Lites) in Regular Flex (SS is around 92-98 with Driver).

I am thinking about sending my irons to Ping get the AWT shafts swapped into them. Ping quoted me $32.50 per iron. Does this sound reasonable? Di dyou send yours to Ping as well? or did you have a local clubmaker do the work? How long did the process take?

What flex are your AWT shafts? what is your swing speed? I have a feeling I may need stiff flex shaft.

Thanks for the help. I need to lower my ball flight bigtime.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Hey Chemoy2, how did the AWT shafts work out for you? Did you notice a vast difference in ball flight versus the CS Lites?

Currently gaming Ping's highest launching irons (Raptures) with Ping's highest launching shafts (CS Lites) in Regular Flex (SS is around 92-98 with Driver).

I am thinking about sending my irons to Ping get the AWT shafts swapped into them. Ping quoted me $32.50 per iron. Does this sound reasonable? Di dyou send yours to Ping as well? or did you have a local clubmaker do the work? How long did the process take?

What flex are your AWT shafts? what is your swing speed? I have a feeling I may need stiff flex shaft.

I ordered my irons with the AWT (stock offering for i10) so there wasn't any sending back to Ping. From what I've heard, some where around 30/club sounds about right. You can pick up the shafts after market and take them to a local builder but that could potentially hurt resell (if you're worried about that) as discoloring is very likely because Ping uses rediculously strong epoxy that doesn't "break" until it gets really hot.

My shafts are stiff flex (avg driver SS - 103) and I find the AWT to feel sturdier than the CS Lite. They did bring the flight down, quite a bit in the shorter irons.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country

Another shaft option from Ping if you want to lower your ball flight are the Z-Z65 shafts. Not quite as low as DG's, but definitely a lower ball flight shaft. I went back and forth between the AWT's and Z-Z65's during my fitting and was getting a better ball flight with the Z-Z65's. Try them both out if you get a chance before you re-shaft.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I noticed you also are using a Rapture driver. Snuck that one by me somehow. :D Weird is my Ping irons are also blue dot and 1/4" over. But I would have got the S58's or S57's. They are not that hard to hit. But the i10's are better then the G10's for sure. :)

Another wise golfer comes over to the dark side... :D

Where have you been? I captured a Rapture back in the fall along with the G10 4 Wood.

I am thinking about a reshaft, though, as the current shaft does not seem to work well with my swing. I was trialing a regular flex to see how it went and have found it to be a bit loose with my current state of swing (very poor as of late). I may go back into a stiff shaft to tighten up the dispersion a bit and accept the distance loss. I have one my TEE NV 65's headless and looking for a home so I may just shim it up and install it one of these days.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
as discoloring is very likely because Ping uses rediculously strong epoxy that doesn't "break" until it gets really hot.

chemboy2

If you heat it to where it discolors you've screwed up the club.

TEE NV 65's headless and looking for a home so I may just shim it up and install it one of these days.

ualtim

The color would match... :D

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
I ordered my irons with the AWT (stock offering for i10) so there wasn't any sending back to Ping. From what I've heard, some where around 30/club sounds about right. You can pick up the shafts after market and take them to a local builder but that could potentially hurt resell (if you're worried about that) as discoloring is very likely because Ping uses rediculously strong epoxy that doesn't "break" until it gets really hot.

My shafts are stiff flex (avg driver SS - 103) and I find the AWT to feel sturdier than the CS Lite. They did bring the flight down, quite a bit in the shorter irons.

ok, sorry, I thought you had the CS Lite's first for some reason. I tried the Rapture demo iron at Golfsmith, felt really good but hard to tell on a launch monitor. The Ping rep I spoke with yesterday made it seem like there really wasn't that big of a difference in ball flight between the CS Lites and AWT's. He actually recommended the ZZ Lites in stiff because the torque is similiar to the CS Lites.

Another option I am considering are the Nippon 1050's. :D

Ualtim, the Ping rep recommended the ZZ Lite's over the ZZ65's because the torque on the ZZ Lites were closer to the CS Lites. Not sure if I would even be able to tell the difference though.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
If you heat it to where it discolors you've screwed up the club.

The color would match... :D

You keep telling me this but discoloring of Ping irons when Ping doesn't do the reshaft is very common (and somewhat common for just general non-Ping iron reshafts). Why would a product like blue-away even be in a golf shop if the blueing screws the club up?

I know you're a metallurgist by trade so I'm not trying to be antagonistic; it is a sincere question.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online