• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ping Iron Review

Wheelerm

GET IN THE HOLE!
Oct 11, 2005
PING
I5 Green Dot CS-Lite Reg.Flex Steel(3-pw)
Irons

Manufacturer: PING
Model: I5 Green Dot CS-Lite Reg.Flex Steel(3-pw)
Category: Irons

Purchase: I bought these irons from a local driving range in town. They are standard length green dot reg. flex steel cs-lite shafts 3-pw. They were £800 total I believe.

Likes: I have played with PING's a few times, so I already knew my specs, but wanted to make sure these were as good as my old I3+ pings. They are very forgiving, and great on distance. It really seemed effortless to hit a satisfactory shot. I just had to let the club do the work, and stop trying to overpower the ball.

Dislikes: Well the Price!!!!!!

Quality: Well, all Pings are very well made- but I think these are the best yet. I would rate the construction and quality a 10+ on these clubs.

Summary: I really like the perimeter weighting on this club for forgiveness, but you can still work the ball with them.

Glenn70

Aug 15, 2005
Wheelerm,

What is the difference between the i5 and the G5? I'm looking to get new clubs and have always wanted Pings. I'm a high handicapper but have no problem getting the ball in the air. In fact, sometimes too high. I've been told the G2/G5 would be a bad fit. How does the i5 fit in?

Thanks!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
The G5 is the "game improvement club" from Ping for this season. It's the club designed with a wider sole, more offset and a thicker topline to instill confidence at address.

The G2 is basically the first generation G5. It's a little slimmer, and comes in a variety of head types for various "problem fixers". The HL is for those that need help getting the ball airborne with the smaller numbered clubs (5, 4, 3), and the L is for the ladies. I'm pretty sure they make one called the EZ which is basically what the G5 is now.

The I5 is the G5 on a diet. More aptly, it has a narrower sole, less offset and a thinner topline, everything a playmaker needs for shotmaking, but at the same time offering the cavity back design and forgiveness.

I think that if you have no problem getting the ball up, the I5 would be more suited for your game. The reduced sole will require a little more effort for better shotmaking, but the lareg cavity back would help with forgiveness should you be a little off the mark.

Hope this helps.

R35

Glenn70

Aug 15, 2005
That is what I thought, but I wanted to hear someone say it. Thanks for the info and in depth explanations.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
No worries. That's what we're here for.

Well, sometimes, anyways....LOL.

R35

OP