• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

ping irons question

daddymack

Mar 27, 2005
I have heard nothing but good things about them. I'm now hearing about different color dots that fit players games better. Can some one further explain or possibly post some links to good info. I just switched to Mozilla and it won't let hardly any websites through. I tried the ping site but it's home page was mostly blank to me. I play adams right now. I love em and they are generally affordable. But if pings are far and away better I may give them a shot.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
First step is to go to the PING site and use their custom fitting walk through - this will give you a decent idea and then off to a pro shop for a proper fitting.

The online guide is just that...a guide and not a substitute for a dynamic fitting session.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
the only advice I can give you is to NOT BUY PING irons. If you want to really improve your game pick up a set of forged cavity backs and put the time in to learn how to hit them.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
the only advice I can give you is to NOT BUY PING irons. If you want to really improve your game pick up a set of forged cavity backs and put the time in to learn how to hit them.

This is so wrong on so many levels... :faintthud

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
I have heard nothing but good things about them. I'm now hearing about different color dots that fit players games better. Can some one further explain or possibly post some links to good info. I just switched to Mozilla and it won't let hardly any websites through. I tried the ping site but it's home page was mostly blank to me. I play adams right now. I love em and they are generally affordable. But if pings are far and away better I may give them a shot.

The Ping color coded lie angle concept was marketed by Karsten in his early days. It began as 1 degree differences in lie angle. Today's newer color codes are refined to within 0.75 degrees.

If you are properly fitted with an iron set, the various lie angles available can make a significant difference in your play. The secret is to get fitted by a Ping authorized fitter. The Ping fitting carts nearest you can be found on their web site.

If you make the move to Ping, here are some of the things you may enjoy.
Ping is the only OEM manufacturer still casting iron heads in the U.S. Ping has always been known for their extremely high level of customer service. You can call Ping and give them the serial number off a set of irons. They will tell you the date that set left the factory, the specs on that set when it left the factory, and if that set has been back to the factory for any adjustments. You will hear testimony after testimony as to quick customer service turnaround on repairs and upgrades. Ping's WRX department is second to none in the special order business. Ping irons are, virtually, indestructable. Ping's line is complete with player's irons like the S57 to game improvement irons like the G10.

For many years, Ping was considered a putter and iron manufacturer. They struggled in the wood department. Recent successes with the G2, G5, G10, and Rapture lines have made them a top tier contender in the wood business.

There is a storied history of Karsten and his innovative mind and his litigation with the PGA. Bottom line, Great company... Great product!!!!

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
Funny thing about the Pings...you either love them or hate them. Even with Ping lovers there are disputes. For example, I got fitted last year for a new set of i-10's, played them 4 times and took them right back to Golfsmith on their 90/90 deal. Did not like the feel or feedback. What did I do? Went right back to my old set of Ping ISI's that I think along with the 1-3's were the best sets they ever designed.
Whatever you do, get fitted.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Funny thing about the Pings...you either love them or hate them. Even with Ping lovers there are disputes. For example, I got fitted last year for a new set of i-10's, played them 4 times and took them right back to Golfsmith on their 90/90 deal. Did not like the feel or feedback. What did I do? Went right back to my old set of Ping ISI's that I think along with the 1-3's were the best sets they ever designed.
Whatever you do, get fitted.
I love my i3's, but I'm itching for some i5's now...especially after buying my step son a set!!

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
The worst thing I can say about PINGS is that some of the irons are fugly.

However, some of them are darned easy to hit. If you like your current Adams irons and hit them well, then you probably won't get much benefit from a set of PINGS. If you can't hit your irons well consistently, then a set of G5s or G10s may be just what you need.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
The worst thing I can say about PINGS is that some of the irons are fugly.

Yes indeed!

I've always been a big fan of PING. Some 18 months ago I needed to get some new irons, and I was looking for some game improvement for the 4-6 iron range. My first thought was going for PING's G10. I went and looked at them and seemed quite ok. I just put them on address position and they looked like a mix between a shovel and a mallet putter. Most horrible irons at address I've ever seen. They looked so bad they made me think the the Cobra S9s I ended getting were slim and thin on top-line....

NiftyNiblick

Nov 12, 2008
I used to play an Eye Two 1-iron, but didn't hit it well until I replaced the ZZ-Lite shaft
with a lower-kick MicroTaper. Now I don't play steel shafts at all anymore except on my putter.

Going by that limited sample size from quite a while back, I can say Ping makes a good golf club. The recommended red dot (very slightly flat) was perfect for me.

OP
D

daddymack

Mar 27, 2005
I have to agree they are not the prettiest clubs i've seen. And the people I see with them, their clubs seem to be old and well used so I guess people fall in love with them. I do feel I hit my irons pretty good at least up to my 7 iron. But at the risk of changing subjects how would getting fitted improve my iron game? I can see fitting if I were very short or tall person. Do Pings need to be fitted? or can they be used off the rack?

PINGELI

Sep 7, 2007
You can use PINGs off the rack (if they are bnew, they are almost assuredly black dot). If you are buying new PING's, at the very least get your lie angle checked. There is no upcharge for PING to send youa different color code (lie angle). I HIGHLY recommend a full fitting for shaftt flex, grip size, swingweight (which is more of a preference thing), club length, etc. This will ensure your clubs are perfect for YOU.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Whats a ballpark price for a fitting?

Getting fit is normally free if you buy the clubs, but it depends on where you buy them. A lot of places will charge for a fitting if you do not buy anything, probably in the $25-$30 dollar range to keep folks from getting fit and buying the clubs elsewhere. This is normally not an issue with Ping as you will pay the same price for a new set of Pings no matter who you buy them from. When I scheduled my fitting for my i10's, I went to the place with the best facilities (IMHO) for fitting which was the Edwin Watts Super Store here in Orlando. I was fortunate to have the Ping regional rep in the store at the time of my fitting and got to work with both the Edwin Watts fitter as well as the Ping rep to get me into my i10's.

Call ahead to your local golf shops and ask what equipment they have to fit you into a new set of Pings and if/what they charge for a fitting. Ideally, a launch monitor or simulator with N-Flight software from Ping is probably the best available fitting aid for Ping clubs, but if they do not have that available in you area, a full indoor simulator is probably a close second. The N-Flight software is amazing and will really help you decide on set makeup as well as help with analzying your distances with various Ping club models.

🔥 Latest posts