• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ping Peeps

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
United States United States
First time I ever swung a Ping BeCu club, I almost had a memorable ace. It was at #2 at Shinnecock Hills. we had just arrived at the course and the Caddy Master took us out that evening in a buggy to show us some of the holes. We hit tee shots at #2 and I was 1" away from an ace with my first swing. I think I impressed him! Fond memories, great clubs!
....and that club was a......???

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Before and After pics. The 7-W were butt-nasty. Still have some stubborn spots on the 5, 9 and W. I might leave the cavities unpainted - it's kinda cool! 24 hour soak in Coke and then an hour soak in Acetone. A lot of scrubbing and brushing and a little paintfill on the soles.

20181220_090943.jpg
20181220_091015.jpg
20181221_131235.jpg
20181221_131332.jpg
20181221_131228.jpg
20181221_131222.jpg
20181221_131225.jpg

Well done!

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Before and After pics. The 7-W were butt-nasty. Still have some stubborn spots on the 5, 9 and W. I might leave the cavities unpainted - it's kinda cool! 24 hour soak in Coke and then an hour soak in Acetone. A lot of scrubbing and brushing and a little paintfill on the soles.

20181220_090943.jpg
20181220_091015.jpg
20181221_131235.jpg
20181221_131332.jpg
20181221_131228.jpg
20181221_131222.jpg
20181221_131225.jpg
Nice transformation!

Any tips on pulling shafts from Eye2’s and restoring the finish on the stainless? The set I bought on the bay look pretty clean from the photos, but if I am, going through the whole restoration process, I want them as close to new looking as possible.

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
Nice transformation!

Any tips on pulling shafts from Eye2’s and restoring the finish on the stainless? The set I bought on the bay look pretty clean from the photos, but if I am, going through the whole restoration process, I want them as close to new looking as possible.
The stainless are easier to shine up. You don't have to pull the shafts, but if you are, just use a torch. It will take a little more heat than most clubs, but the epoxy will "pop" with a puff of smoke when the head is ready to pull. Just twist the head and pull!

1. Wash the dirt off the heads.
2. Wet them and then sprinkle Bar Keepers Friend scouring powder all over them. Use your fingers to mix the powder into a mud/plaster consistency and make sure you cover all the surface. Bar Keepers Friend has oxcylic acid, Comet does not. Grocery stores have it.
3. Let them sit for a few hours.
4. Scrub them HARD with a green Scotchbrite pad. Add elbow grease!
5. Rinse and enjoy the shine!.

You can repeat the whole process for more shine. I use white fingernail polish to redo the paintfill.

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
The stainless are easier to shine up. You don't have to pull the shafts, but if you are, just use a torch. It will take a little more heat than most clubs, but the epoxy will "pop" with a puff of smoke when the head is ready to pull. Just twist the head and pull!

2. Wet them and then sprinkle Bar Keepers Friend scouring powder all over them. Use your fingers to mix the powder into a mud/plaster consistency and make sure you cover all the surface. Bar Keepers Friend has oxcylic acid, Comet does not. Grocery stores have it.

You can repeat the whole process for more shine. I use white fingernail polish to redo the paintfill.

Plan B
Send them to Ron Oneal at L&L golf (see eBay). For $13/head, he will retumble them and paint them to actually be brand new.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country

Thank you for the tips!

Shafts are getting pulled and replaced, bought a set with some original and some reshafts so they will be coming out. Probably going to replace with some Nippon’s as I like the feel and performance of them in my TM RSi 2’s. Once I pull the shafts, just got to check the reshafted heads to make sure that they were not drilled out to parallel before I order shafts.

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
Thank you for the tips!

Shafts are getting pulled and replaced, bought a set with some original and some reshafts so they will be coming out. Probably going to replace with some Nippon’s as I like the feel and performance of them in my TM RSi 2’s. Once I pull the shafts, just got to check the reshafted heads to make sure that they were not drilled out to parallel before I order shafts.
Anytime, Tim. Post some pics!

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Nice transformation!

You can also get a cheap tumbler from Harbor Freight, get some media, add simple green and let it rip. Had really good results with this method as well.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
You can also get a cheap tumbler from Harbor Freight, get some media, add simple green and let it rip. Had really good results with this method as well.
I am thinking about going down this road, what media did you use and how much simple green? Most folks seem to be using the Harbor Freight ceramic media, but I have not come across the simple green addition.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I am thinking about going down this road, what media did you use and how much simple green? Most folks seem to be using the Harbor Freight ceramic media, but I have not come across the simple green addition.
Ceramic media from Harbor freight, enough to make it wet. I ran the tumbler 3 heads at a time. Flipping after an hour on each side. So it takes awhile but the results are fantastic!

🔥 Latest posts