• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ping Peeps

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Came across this video today. Showed up in my YT feed as I have viewed several of his Top Speed Tennis videos, I was not aware he did golf as well. It’s a bit of a plug for his new sponsor, but as Ping Peeps you will most likely enjoy it.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Got an email from Ping announcing availability of the bag. Went to the website, SOLD OUT. :(

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Are Ping Eye 2’s still relevant?

A data driven test by Mark Crossfield.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Are Ping Eye 2’s still relevant?

A data driven test by Mark Crossfield.

So for whatever reason, I just couldn’t get the video to open on here, using my iPad... So I went to searching, finding it on YouTube with no trouble. After watching I immediately went down and looked at my Ping Eye2 7i. To be honest I think I’d noticed the stuff Mark pointed out about them before, but this time I spent a few minutes admiring the Eye2 for what they are. Works of art, club engineering genius and sexy AF!!!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
So for whatever reason, I just couldn’t get the video to open on here, using my iPad... So I went to searching, finding it on YouTube with no trouble. After watching I immediately went down and looked at my Ping Eye2 7i. To be honest I think I’d noticed the stuff Mark pointed out about them before, but this time I spent a few minutes admiring the Eye2 for what they are. Works of art, club engineering genius and sexy AF!!!!
I just wish I could get my "And The Putter Went... Ping" book to you. The durn thing weighs almost 8 pounds and would cost a small fortune to send back and forth. I've passed it around to a number of golfers at the course. They all have enjoyed it. A young engineer, here in town, has it right now.
If you can get your hands on one, pick it up! It will take weeks to get through it. You will read a while, see a picture or two, and say, "What did I just read?" You'll go back, reread, and shake your head in amazement. To understand how a guy who was working on portable televisions and microwaves for GE found a niche in the golf industry and saw this "hobby" turn into one of the most renowned golf manufacturers in the world... is an amazing story.
PING - And The Putter Went PING (Standard Edition)
12261.png

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I just wish I could get my "And The Putter Went... Ping" book to you. The durn thing weighs almost 8 pounds and would cost a small fortune to send back and forth. I've passed it around to a number of golfers at the course. They all have enjoyed it. A young engineer, here in town, has it right now.
If you can get your hands on one, pick it up! It will take weeks to get through it. You will read a while, see a picture or two, and say, "What did I just read?" You'll go back, reread, and shake your head in amazement. To understand how a guy who was working on portable televisions and microwaves for GE found a niche in the golf industry and saw this "hobby" turn into one of the most renowned golf manufacturers in the world... is an amazing story.
PING - And The Putter Went PING (Standard Edition)
View attachment 32259

My wife and her mother have developed a real knack for finding books in the oddest of stores or places. I will see what they can do!!

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
This may have been mentioned before as I neglected to scroll through all 38 pages. I think the biggest issue with Ping Eye2s is that the lofts are much weaker than today's offerings. For instance the PW is 50*. Most PWs today are 46" or even stronger. I think I'm correct in that the Eye2s were introduced around 1982. Ten or twelve years later Cobra Golf introduced their King Cobra Oversized irons with stronger lofts in each club. I think that started the trend which led to where we are today. Most seven irons in todays sets were six (or even five) irons back in the 80s. Of course it really shouldn't matter that much, but many golfers think great golf is measured by how far one hits a given club. However, a par three made with a five iron on a 140 yard par three still beats a four made with nine iron off the tee.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I don't think the lofts of the Eye 2's are an issue at all.

I don’t see the lofts as an issue either, not sure if its me or what?!?! But I play them from the same yardages as my MP-52’s (8i = 150, PW/W = 100) and its fine... That being said, I’ve never compared the lofts.

The big difference I see would come in the woods of that era. I’m still looking for those, to complete my 80’s set

🔥 Latest posts