• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ping zings

OP
Soulges22

Soulges22

Aug 27, 2014
Pennsylvania
Country
United States United States
@Splunge

The golf season interferes with hockey which is my main sport and I'm not that competitive about golf, I'm just looking to get out with my friends every once in a while. But thanks for the info!

OP
Soulges22

Soulges22

Aug 27, 2014
Pennsylvania
Country
@limpalong
Thanks for all the info! I'm 5'7 with a 32' wrist to floor. I didn't really know what all the color coding meant till after I bought the set. I know now that they are not perfect for me but I only have $80 in them so I'll play them for a little while and if I can't get used to them I'll try to sell them and then go to get fitted. I'm not sure if it's true but I heard somewhere that if u send the clubs to get bent that over time they will return to there natural lie, is this accurate?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
@limpalong
Thanks for all the info! I'm 5'7 with a 32' wrist to floor. I didn't really know what all the color coding meant till after I bought the set. I know now that they are not perfect for me but I only have $80 in them so I'll play them for a little while and if I can't get used to them I'll try to sell them and then go to get fitted. I'm not sure if it's true but I heard somewhere that if u send the clubs to get bent that over time they will return to there natural lie, is this accurate?
You'll get all kinds of different "theories" re what clubs will and will not do. Most are based on the plethora of internet discussion boards and "experts"... which I probably fit that category... who think they know more than they do!! :>) WBL, on this Board, is a metalurgist... or metals engineer... and would be much more capable of speaking to the aspect of heat-treated 17-4 stainless of which the Zings were made from. In my own mind and experience, steel does not have a "memory". Once bent and set to a specific angle, unless severe stresses are applied in the opposite direction they were bent, they stay put. Some of the softer forged carbon steel irons can see lofts change over time if hit many times off mats or the player continues "landscape" with them. I, personally, have never seen lies change on 17-4 or 431 SST from normal use... once correctly set.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Best thing to do is call Ping and ask them. For some reason, I think older Pings can only be adjusted 2 degrees, but I may be wrong. They can answer all your questions.

OP
Soulges22

Soulges22

Aug 27, 2014
Pennsylvania
Country
Just got back from the range, and I'm starting to like these clubs more! I am hitting the ball very straight and am getting good height on most shots but I am having a little difficulty getting good distance especially in the longer irons. the long iron game has never been my strong suit so it's probably just me not the club, hopefully I will start to get more distance the more time I spend with them!

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Just got back from the range, and I'm starting to like these clubs more! I am hitting the ball very straight and am getting good height on most shots but I am having a little difficulty getting good distance especially in the longer irons. the long iron game has never been my strong suit so it's probably just me not the club, hopefully I will start to get more distance the more time I spend with them!
Like limp said don't care so much on how how far you hit each iron, but definitely know how far you hit each iron.

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
He will probably gain distance as his form improves anyway. The main thing to work on right now is solid contact. Most hockey players play golf decently because of the similarity of the two swings. Just keep playing and having fun.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
He will probably gain distance as his form improves anyway. The main thing to work on right now is solid contact. Most hockey players play golf decently because of the similarity of the two swings. Just keep playing and having fun.
You are so correct. PGA Tour player, Happy Gilmore, was ..... Ummmm... Never mind!:D

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I'm going to say this now and understand that this comes from one of the bigger club ho's on this site:

Those Pings will suit you just fine for a long time, they are well made. Don't buy the marketing hype of improved irons.

My Pings are 14 years old and I haven't hit a set of irons that are better, and I've hit a lot.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I'm going to say this now and understand that this comes from one of the bigger club ho's on this site:

Those Pings will suit you just fine for a long time, they are well made. Don't buy the marketing hype of improved irons.

My Pings are 14 years old and I haven't hit a set of irons that are better, and I've hit a lot.

Look at the irons you play Jim, I have a huge hard on for the Ping i3 blades. I've been searching ebay and the like for a decent leftie set to play around with.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Look at the irons you play Jim, I have a huge hard on for the Ping i3 blades. I've been searching ebay and the like for a decent leftie set to play around with.
They aren't leaving my bag anytime soon. I may play them until 2024 when they become illegal and then I still may play them. I'm actually looking for another set just to have.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
They aren't leaving my bag anytime soon. I may play them until 2024 when they become illegal and then I still may play them. I'm actually looking for another set just to have.

I'd have a tough time giving up my mizunos but for the right price, anything is possible

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
Ping Zings are one of my all time favorite irons. I have always felt so confident with them. They are extremely forgiving. Behind the Eye 2s, they are next favorite iron.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

🔥 Latest posts