• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Places to play in the south?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Headed down to my in-laws the last week of feb. They live close to Redbay Alabama & to be honest they drive me nuts. Told my wife she can visit but I am going golfing, what are some decent courses in that area?

Also headed to Dallas during the same week so she can visit with her uncle, I would imagine there are hundreds of courses in that area.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
If I'm not mistaken, you won't be that far from Muscle Shoals, Al. There is a Robert Trent Jones course there. Also within driving distance of Dancing Rabbit in Philadelphia, Ms. Both of which are great courses.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
The Redmont one looks perfect since it's maybe 10 miles from my in-laws home. Also definitely going to look into the Robert Trent Jones course in Muscle Shoals.

brillo

Leftswing
Dec 7, 2007
The RTJ in the shoals is awesome. The Fighting Joe there is very long, but the Schoolmaster is also very challenging. If you're not hitting the ball too well right now, then you definately want to play the Schoolmaster. Cyprus Lakes in Florence is also a very nice course. That's where UNA college plays and it's very good.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Cyprus Lakes in Florence is also a very nice course. That's where UNA college plays and it's very good.

Going to look into this one as well, have been in Florence several times in the past. Thanks & keep em coming.

Bama Duffer

Mar 14, 2005
I'm not that familiar with courses in that area of the state, but I have played both RTJ courses and they are well worth it.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Dammit, I may have to cancel my trip. Wife is trying to get a new job & so far she passed the interview & is now onto the last step which she has to do wed. If they take a week or so after that to render a final decision then it's all good because she can give a 1 week notice to Wally World & take the 2nd week as vacation. But if this new job gives her the green light right away then my vacation is shot to hell. Course with a raise that will effectively have her bringing home over $4 an hr more than she currently makes it's well worth it.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Leaving in the morning, & of course I ended up getting a touch of the cold bug that's been running rampant thru my work.....won't stop me from playing though. Weather looks to be great with mid 60's & sunny, may get a day or 2 of colder weather but I have those days reserved for travel.

brillo

Leftswing
Dec 7, 2007
I went and played Cyprus Lakes last week and it looks very good right now. Especially for this time of the year. I think it was $42 with a cart right now, but we used the Lung Card and got to play it for $30.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Didn't leave this morning as planned, woke up & sicker than all hell, could barely stand up. Going to play it by ear & if I feel better tomorrow morning we will go, but probably going to skip MS & head straight for Dallas. If I don't feel better then we simply cancel & go in a couple weeks.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
75 yr old southern Baptists with all the baggage that goes with that.

Sick huh? Yeah right, likely story, but hey, if your wife bought it, more power to you!!!!! :laugh:

J/K, hope you get to feeling better Wi.

🔥 Latest posts