• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
So I wake up this morning at my hotel across from LaGuardia.

I am thinking that this will be a normal travel day back home.

I am confirmed on an 8:33 non-stop Delta flight from LGA to Birmingham. No brainer.

Get up - eat. Watch the Today Show with interviews of passengers who have spent the night at NYC's airports...how they are "remarkably perky" despite little or no sleep - and unsure how they will make it home.

Then, I go into the Hotel Business center and get on the internet to print my boarding pass. The system says I must do it from the airport. OK.

Get on the hotel shuttle and start talking with the other passengers about the past 12 hours. Cancelled flights,,,how they got a room etc.

One guy was flying in from Tel Aviv. A regular looking sort. They circled LaGuardia for two hours before giving up the ghost and going on to Philadelphia to land before they ran out of gas. Then they spent five hours in the plane on the ground before refueling and taking off for LaGuardia at midnight. He got in at 2:00 and got a room because an incoming flight crew cancelled their room reservations. No planes landed at LaGuardia for several hours due to snow and very high winds.

So I am on the shuttle - no problems....just go over to the terminal and hit the kiosk for my boarding pass and away we go...

Get to the terminal. It is what you see on TV with cancelled flights due to weather.

Thousands of frustrated passengers. Long lines.

No problem for Bravo...just get to a Kiosk for my boarding pass and go through security....Yup - I am getting out of here after spending a nice night in my hotel.

I get to a kiosk - swipe my credit card.

It does not recognize my res. NOT Found.

Around me, I get the sense that other passengers who have received Delta tickets from yesterday are experiencing the same thing. You Cannot Use a Kiosk for a Re-issue Ticket.

You gotta go through the line. The one with thousands of passengers - trying to get on another flight - despite the Fact that you are already Confirmed on a flight out. This line looks 3-4 hours long.

No problem Bravo. Call reservations and get yourself rebooked. I do this while they are doing "final boarding call for Birmingham" on the speaker system. My flight is leaving and I am not on it because Delta did not explain that Re-issue tickets require manual, human check in.

I call Delta reservations while I wait in the very long line.

Busy signal, busy signal, busy signal - for an hour.

So a scenario starts to unfold in my mind...I will get in this four hour line and by the time I reach the counter, I will get a stand by reservation for late in the day. And I will wait for this stand by only to be refused boarding because the flight is full...only to spend another night at a airport hotel- only if I can get a room.

So now it becomes time to say - I am not hedging bets - I am going home.

I call Southwest Airlines - the old reliable. They fly out of Islip NY about 30 miles away.

Yes sir - we have a flight leaving at 1:20 - will get you home at 5:00. Love it and book the hell out of it.

Go downstairs - get $100 from the cash machine. I count total money and observe that I now have $141 in the wallet.

Go to the cab line and grab a cab. Let's go east - 30 miles away..."How much will that cost Mr. Cab Driver...' He looks at an NYC Taxicab Authority Chart and shows me a fare of $149...

I tell him I have only $141. He says, "I can work with you on this".

We get on the road.

Long Island has three parallel expressways. We climb onto the first and drive 4 miles.

Suddenly and without warning, there is a car ablaze on the road ahead. Traffic is completely stopped while firetrucks and emergeny personnel have it blocked.

So we detour through Queens, searching for a route to the second expressway. We get on it, only to find that it is closed ahead because of ice.

Back onto the streets of Queens...Jamaica NY...dodging busses and ice and snow and sludge...trying to get to the Southern Parkway - our last chance to get out to Islip.

We make out there after an hour and are on our way.

At this point, the coffee from the morning is just about to explode through my pants. I have to plead with my cab driver to stop while we are on the equivalent of an interstate/autoroute..."Hey man, I am going to pee in my pants here. Gotta go".

He finally stops and I wade through the slush.

45 minutes later - we hit the Islip Airport. Sanity.

I get out $140 to pay the driver and he notices I am left with $1. He gives me $10 back for my trip home. A great guy from Haiti.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles - and life in New York.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Crazy...and I thought my commute to school (about an hour) was a hassle

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Bummer. I'm speachless as to anything else to type after that one.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
bdcrowe said:
Bummer. I'm speachless as to anything else to type after that one.

LOL - best and ONLY laugh of the day for me....

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Coulda been worse.

You could have shared the cab with Crowe. ;)

Ha!

Welcome back, B.

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I don't miss traveling for business one bit. I use to be gone 7 out of every 8 weeks and it gets old fast.

That slush and snow makes you appreciate living the South though huh?

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
Hi boys.

Sorry to jump in unannounced and uninvited, but I couldn’t resist. I came close to a similar situation last week, but the snow ended early enough that my afternoon flight was unaffected, so I feel for you, Bravo. Glad you got home OK.

I did warn you that you would hit the snow in NY, tho the gates may have been removed from Central Park. At least you had a good din din on the layover.

More snow on the way here, with slushy conditions predicted all weekend. Still no golf (other than in my basement). My apologies for intruding.

S

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Welcome - this is "the place to be" for golfers online now. Glad you found it.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Hey Farquod:

Love the avatar and love the voice of the character....John Lithgow.

Now the thing about my trip that whets my golf appetite - is the fact that I go right past Bethpage State Park on the way to my meetings...

I talked to a guy who lives in Nassau County and I asked him if he had ever played there. Said no - too hard to get on...Never played there even a single time.

He's nutz. Its right there in his own back yard.

How about you? Ever go out there and play it? He said the greens fees were really low...

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
Bravo said:
Hey Farquod:

Love the avatar and love the voice of the character....John Lithgow.

Now the thing about my trip that whets my golf appetite - is the fact that I go right past Bethpage State Park on the way to my meetings...

I talked to a guy who lives in Nassau County and I asked him if he had ever played there. Said no - too hard to get on...Never played there even a single time.

He's nutz. Its right there in his own back yard.

How about you? Ever go out there and play it? He said the greens fees were really low...

Hey Bravo. Yeh, I like Lithgow too (remember "Buckaroo Banzai?"), and he plays Farquaad with just the right 'lilt' of cynicism and self importance. Plus, you just can't beat the sound of the name....

The short answer is no. The guys I play with simply would not do the road trip, and other friends who might consider it (the sleeping overnight in your car thing) don't have the game for it. I play as a single a lot, but to take the trip to go out as a solo, nah. When and if the opportunity presents itself, however, I will go.

Now, the fact that I haven't yet played Jasna Polana irks me more, since that is literally in my backyard...a 10-15 minute drive. That's lookin' good for this year, however. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and workin' it. ;)

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Farquod said:
Now, the fact that I haven't yet played Jasna Polana irks me more, since that is literally in my backyard...a 10-15 minute drive. That's lookin' good for this year, however. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and workin' it. ;)

OK - never heard of it. Gimme the scoop.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.