• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Planning on getting some new irons, need some help

import49erz

Aug 17, 2006
Im currently playing some Taylormade OS2 (2005) 4-PW irons with stock stiff shaft. I have recently got the "itch" to buy some new irons. I would like to stick with Taylormade or Mizuno irons as i have had good experiences with them (but open to other brands also). With a 200-250 USD budget, what models would you suggest??? I would like a set with less offset than my current OS2s. Open to cavity backs and/or forged irons.

Thanks for your opinions.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Im currently playing some Taylormade OS2 (2005) 4-PW irons with stock stiff shaft. I have recently got the "itch" to buy some new irons. I would like to stick with Taylormade or Mizuno irons as i have had good experiences with them (but open to other brands also). With a 200-250 USD budget, what models would you suggest??? I would like a set with less offset than my current OS2s. Open to cavity backs and/or forged irons.

Thanks for your opinions.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I have the itch to buy, but not really sure what I want. If you go to Global Golf, click the pro shop tab at the top of the screen, you can find plenty of great used irons in that price range.

Not to sure about TM irons but I know this board is somewhat biased
icon12.gif
towards Mizuno. You can find almost all the brands on Global in that price range. Specifically the MP-30, the newer 60's and 57's I think are still out of your price range.

I myself play Hogan irons and will not stray from them, I love them. I am looking now for a set of Hogan Apex FTX. If your interested the set I have now, the Edge Pro's, are oversized cavities that are forged with very little offset. Id be willing to let those go for less than your budget if your interested.

But seriously check out Global Golf, great deals!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I'm not sure the MP series from Mizuno are a good idea for a 20 handicapper. I strike my 845 V-25 irons pretty well, and I don't have the swing for the MP's. I would love to give import49erz a good deal on the MP-30's I experimented with, but they really are more suited for a 10 capper. Stick to game-improvement irons like these:

Ping EYE 2 Iron Set 3-PW Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Mizuno rules.

Get a set of MX series irons and your wife will obey your every wish, your children will do better in school, and your boss will give you a raise.

Well, maybe not the wife part.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
In that price range, you may be able to find a used MX series from Mizuno. A cheaper option would be a Hogan Apex Edge, or if your looking for more of a players club but do not want to get into a blade take a look for a used set of Hogan Apex Plus irons.

Ping Eye 2's or 2+'s are in that range, but if your looking to reduce offset, the Pings will most likely not suit your eye. They are great irons, but do have a bit of offset built into them.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I'm not sure the MP series from Mizuno are a good idea for a 20 handicapper. I strike my 845 V-25 irons pretty well, and I don't have the swing for the MP's. I would love to give import49erz a good deal on the MP-30's I experimented with, but they really are more suited for a 10 capper. Stick to game-improvement irons like these:

Ping EYE 2 Iron Set 3-PW Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com

Oh good call, hadnt had a full cup of coffee when I posted and didnt notice the 20 cap, so yeah the Mp-30 might be a bit much.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
In that price range, you may be able to find a used MX series from Mizuno. A cheaper option would be a Hogan Apex Edge, or if your looking for more of a players club but do not want to get into a blade take a look for a used set of Hogan Apex Plus irons.

Ping Eye 2's or 2+'s are in that range, but if your looking to reduce offset, the Pings will most likely not suit your eye. They are great irons, but do have a bit of offset built into them.

Agree with Tim, the plus or the Edges would be a great way to go. Both good cavity backs with forgiveness and they are forged.

Of course there are the Hogan Apex Edge Pro's
icon10.gif

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
With a 200-250 USD budget, what models would you suggest???
Do you know your fitting specifications?

At least for Mizuno, and even likely Taylormade your options of what you will find at $200-300 will be very limited, even on eBay. So to answer the question would almost be to say whatever Mizuno you can find at that price range, which would likely be a much older model than what you currently own. Plus this would be assume you know what specific lie you require. If you were not fitted for your current set I would likely recommend taking the money and do so, and have your existing set bent. After all, even if you were fitted and know you specs, you may spend a chunk of that money to have them bent accordingly. Unless of course you use a standard lie.

Personally I never recommend that anyone spend money on new irons unless they intend to get fitted or know their specifications. I think the key is to have clubs that match your game, so assuming you own or intend to buy a fairly decent club, proper fitting is far more valuable that maybe a little better club that your currently own.

OP
I

import49erz

Aug 17, 2006
I never hit Hogan irons before, but there's something with ping irons that i never liked so i never considered those irons. Mizunos i like tho, esp the MX-25s but those are well out of my price range. What do you guys think about the MX-23s? Also, i have seen on ebay that a couple of the TM 2005 Forged TPs go for about 250ish, any opinion on those and do you think they would fit me?

About fitting my irons, does anyone know how much a fitting session would cost? I never did one of those before. All my clubs are basically straight out of the box specs.

Thanks.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Also, i have seen on ebay that a couple of the TM 2005 Forged TPs go for about 250ish, any opinion on those and do you think they would fit me?

Ummm....no.

You say you are a 20-handicapper, looking for less offset and (I assume) a more traditional iron (not a "shovel-on-a-stick" like the TM's you currently have). The TM Forged TP is for better players only. The fact that you asked about these clubs tells me that we could play the "are these clubs right for me" game forever. I'm happy to help, but if you don't know that the TP's wouldn't suit your game, then you are not a candidate for a blind "eBay buy". Simple truth.

Do yourself a favor. Go to a place that sells used clubs and demo some 6-irons.

<edit> I realize that you could be a good enough ball striker to play these irons and still have a 20 handicap, but then your short game would have to suck worse than mine, and there are five other guys on this board who can testify as to how bad that is...

Still - I stick to my advice. Go to a big retailer and check out some of their used sets. You will have a much better chance of finding a set that fits you.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
MacGregor irons are very good in my experience. I play the M565 set, which is well within your price range, and adore them. The M685 is more blade-esque, but still forgiving. You could net either one for under 250. I highly prefer the M565. Beautiful looking club with a buttery feel.

OP
I

import49erz

Aug 17, 2006
Thanks Eracer for the info. I'll try to find a place that has clubs of variety that i can try out. I didn't try to imply anything by my comment, i was just trying to get imput as im still a noob at this stuff.

My short game is decent tho as I spend more than half my time at the range working on that (chips, pitches and putts). i even have a chipping net at home which i use wen I don't go to the range. It's mostly my driver (or shots out of the tee box) that hurts me, but that's a work in progress also.

Thanks

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Go visit your local Golfsmith. From the website, there looks to be several stores in the bay area that you should be able to find one fairly close to your location. Golfsmiths typically have a large rack of used clubs for sale including many of the models suggested in this thread. Go hit them all and see what works for you. Then go to PGA value guide and eBay to see what the market price is so that you can either negotiate a deal for the set at Golfsmith or find a set on eBay.

Most Golfsmiths will do a club fitting for you for free so that you will get a good idea what you will need for specs or need to adjust on your current/future set.

🔥 Latest posts