• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Plant or rotate front foot?

Skjay101

May 1, 2008
Well, one of the biggest winter habits I can't seem to kick is the fact that I'm rotating my front foot. I used to do it a long time ago, then I stopped, now I can't cut it out. I see about 1/3 of people I watch on the local course rotate their front foot. You would think it to be a simple thing to stop, but with swing thoughts come troubles.

Could this be why I'm becoming a little more inconsistent, or is it in my head?

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
I don't think it means a whole bunch. A lot of tour players spin their right foot counter clockwise on the follow through, Tiger especially.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
A lot of head movement can be a big issue.

I think it was Ez that said, pretend your spine is a pole, including your head, and rotate around it.

OP
S

Skjay101

May 1, 2008
I'm talking about on the backswing, I rotate up onto my toe on my left foot(I'm right handed) and then in the follow through I turn my ankle over and rest on the outside on my foot.

I always turn over my ankle, but I think the toe rotation of the left foot on backswing has been an issue?

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Hmmm, it sounds unconventional.

Any chance you could get video? Even with a phone?

OP
S

Skjay101

May 1, 2008
I'll be hitting the range tomorrow, might set up the camera

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Might help us help you, hehe.

I've not the eyes for it, long from it, but Charnock, and quite a few on this site, have excellent eyes for things.

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
I'm talking about on the backswing, I rotate up onto my toe on my left foot(I'm right handed) and then in the follow through I turn my ankle over and rest on the outside on my foot.

I always turn over my ankle, but I think the toe rotation of the left foot on backswing has been an issue?

That is just a style issue a lot of good players mostly old school guys like Nicklaus and others did it. Nothing wrong it just is some people style.

I on the other hand keep my front foot planted on my backswing but I rotate my front foot about 45* at the target after I hit my ball on my follow through, it hurts to roll over on my ankle sometimes. I thought it might be a problem but I have seen some better players like johnny miller and rich beam do the same thing. I don't do it on all shots just with my longer clubs.

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
My brother does this often, so much so we tell him he swings like OJ Simpson (back when he was invited to celebrity golfing events)... I do it too on driver swings, I dont think it matters at all, I cant change my flexibility... well... maybe I can, but I wont today, or tomorrow.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.