• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Playacar GC, Maya Riviera Mexico

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
Playacar Golf Club on the Maya Riviera, 35 minutes south of Cancun is a very difficult Robert von Hagge design. While many in the U.S. may not be familiar with von Hagge, he is a highly talented and respected designer in Mexico and the Carribean. He is known for extremely narrow fairways and small greens and Playacar is no exception. The course is cut from the jungle with cenotes (natural sink holes from underground rivers and acquifers) throughout the track. The course playes 7,144 from the tips (that is far to difficult for most players with the winds in play). The Blues are 6,639 and course carries a 76.1/148 slope rating (huge for Mexico or anywhere else for that matter). The par 4 seventh at 455 yards is the number one handicap and considered one of the most difficult par 4's in Mexico. The back nine is 400 yards shorter than the front but don't be lulled into getting too confident. The shorter holes are doglegs with undulating fairways protected by crazy bunkers. With the wind you will be hitting 2 and 3 club variations to small greens. This course is tough but is a lot of fun when on vacation. It is one of the older courses on the Riviera Maya being completed in 1994. The greens fees for the morning run $180 with range balls, cart, snacks and unlimited beverages including beer. Twilight fees are $130 and begin at 1PM.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Why the hell are the greens fees so high in Mexico? I have been to Cozumel & Playa Del Carmen & while I didn't play any golf, everything else including food, lodging, ect was dirt cheap.

OP
MyBluC4

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
great question. I will not go to Cabo again because the greens fees have become insane at $250 to $350 a round. You could play Pinehurst #4, #2,#7 and #8 cheaper than that. Playa del Carmen and Cozumel are a little off the charts as well, even for resort courses. I guess they feel they are the only game in town, have to amortize the cost of building a signature course and make up for the fact that so few people play. There was hardly anyone on the courses during prime time when I was in Playa.
It's foolish in my opinion, because if the prices were better, I would probably play more rounds instead of limiting myself based on the cost.

Hos

Jan 11, 2009
I don't even want to think about it - no Mexico trip this year, we're prego! Played the Pairiso del Mar (spelling?) last year. Loved it. P.B. Dye design. Not sure why rates are that high down there, but I will say; it was worth what I paid.

jsluy33

Mar 28, 2009
Playacar Golf Club on the Maya Riviera, 35 minutes south of Cancun is a very difficult Robert von Hagge design. While many in the U.S. may not be familiar with von Hagge, he is a highly talented and respected designer in Mexico and the Carribean. He is known for extremely narrow fairways and small greens and Playacar is no exception. The course is cut from the jungle with cenotes (natural sink holes from underground rivers and acquifers) throughout the track. The course playes 7,144 from the tips (that is far to difficult for most players with the winds in play). The Blues are 6,639 and course carries a 76.1/148 slope rating (huge for Mexico or anywhere else for that matter). The par 4 seventh at 455 yards is the number one handicap and considered one of the most difficult par 4's in Mexico. The back nine is 400 yards shorter than the front but don't be lulled into getting too confident. The shorter holes are doglegs with undulating fairways protected by crazy bunkers. With the wind you will be hitting 2 and 3 club variations to small greens. This course is tough but is a lot of fun when on vacation. It is one of the older courses on the Riviera Maya being completed in 1994. The greens fees for the morning run $180 with range balls, cart, snacks and unlimited beverages including beer. Twilight fees are $130 and begin at 1PM.

Hello MyBluC4, wonderful reviews on the courses in the Playa del Carmen area. A group of us are headed down to Puerto Morelos in a couple weeks. We are trying to decide which course will be the best for our bucks. It sounds to me with the free beers (is this still the case if we are not hotel guests of the Iberostar?) and 18 holes the Iberostar is the best choice. In your opinion, between the Mayakoba, Iberostar, and the Playa Carr courses, which would be your choice? Also, we are looking at booking atleast 4 foursomes if not up to 6. Do you know of a good "golf travel agent"? Or the best option for booking a group this size? Thanks for your expertise in advance.

jcs

OP
MyBluC4

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
J,
This is a tough call. El Cameleon at Myakoba is the more famous track, is always in great condition and is also the most expensive. Iberostar is more challenging and in terms of approach shots and it greens and slopes are certainly more interesting. For my money, however, the toughest of the three I played was Playacar. It's more grown in and throws more difficulty at you that causes you think a bit harder. It is more narrow than the other two with tighter approaches as I recall. A good course if your group is throwing a lot of bets down. Again, it has a lot to do with your budget. Get on the internet and check out the photos of each course. See what gets your heart pumping.

ja3480

Jan 8, 2009
Thanks for the great review... I have a tee time set up for May 6 . Can't wait to play the course!

🔥 Latest posts