• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Played 18 today riding, will probably walk 9 more tomorrow

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Played 18 holes today riding. The wind was blowing 20mph most of the day so it was definitely a challenge. I worked for years to learn to hit a high ball to get it to check up or even backspin a bit. Works great except on windy days, problem is I can't seem to hit low knockdown shots with any accuracy anymore.

I'm playing as much as a possible because Monday I start another round of chemo, a different one, and probably another round of radiation. Seems the cancer has moved to my brain as well, well, what brain I had in the first place. Apparently this is common place, but rather upsetting regardless. Anyway, this thread wasn't supposed to be a woe is me thread, I just wanted to let y'all know I may not be posting as much as normal, not sure how this new chemo and radiation is going to leave me feeling.

On the bright side, I shot a 90 today under the less than perfect conditions. The front nine I shot a 47 due to the high winds, on the back 9 I started playing smarter/safer golf. Laying up, aiming for the center of the greens instead of at the pin and shot a 43. I've also managed to for the most part eliminated the right side of the course as a source of trouble. I've actually begun hitting my driver either straight, or with a baby draw, :D

Now if I can just eliminate these 3 putts and a few of the 2 putts I could possibly shoot some good scores. I'm still thinking about building a belly putter, lord knows it can't hurt, and might even help?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Best of luck with the new round of therapy. We're rootin' for ya!! Anyone... ANYONE who spends their time playing golf and posting on these internet forums can't have much of a brain, can we???!!! So, see, the brain should be a non-issue to you... or me!!!! You've sure had some challenges to deal with this year. Let's hope 2012 will bring a much brighter outlook and you play more golf than you have in a long, long time.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
My wife had to get the chemo and radiation for that also. Pretty common so don't sweat it! Get through the sick part and get back on the course!

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the support and kind words from y'all. You have no idea how much it means to me. Hopefully once I kick this, we, or as many as possible can all meet up for a weekend of golf and comaraderie. Since joining this board it's amazing how close I feel I've grown to many of you, even though we've never met.

I apologize for the oh woe is me posts I've made if they came across that way. But sometimes it just helps to put into words how you're feeling, especially if you don't have anyone close you feel you can talk to about things. My wife is a old school country girl who expects a man to be strong no matter what. I understand where she is coming from and don't hold it against her, even though it would be nice to be able to occasionally lower my guard and let her know how I'm really feeling, whats really going on in my mind. But anyway, enough of that.

Played 25 holes today, riding of course. The first 7 were just a warm up. After that our foursome played 18 holes , best ball teams per cart seating. I actually played pretty good golf for the first 15 holes of the contest, but then my pain meds starting wearing off and the pain in my side from the nerve damage caused by the shingles started dramatically effecting my swing. My cart/team ended up losing by 2 strokes when it was all said and done, but I had a blast regardless. I was even able to hit a few draws with my driver when I wanted to, and kept the rest of them either in the fairway or just barely in the rough. Clark, Doc, and Eracer can tell you that is a major accomplishment for me. A draw with a driver used to be something I could only dream of, for that matter, just keeping my drives in play was a major accomplishment. My game has really improved this summer in spite of not being able to play nearly as much as I'd have liked. If I can ever learn to putt I can definitely see me breaking 80 finally. Once i get a few things took care of finacially, I'll be getting a new set of glasses to see if that will help my green reading. If that doesn't cure my putting woes the next step will be a belly putter, but regardless, I'm enjoying the game again, which is helping me to learn to enjoy life again. Hopefully my doctor will clear me to return to work soon which should be a major step in making me feel life is starting to return to normal again.

But anyway, I just wanted to once again thank you all for the support and prayers. I mean that from the depths of my heart and soul. This is the greatest forum on the internet, bar none, and thats because it is populated by such a great group of guys. Thank you all again.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Just got back from Chemo, already feeling a bit nauseaus. Seems my insurance won't pay for another PET scan for another 3 1/2 weeks, so will have to wait till then to find out if the headaches are indeed caused by the cancer having moved there, or something else. Lol, gotta love HMO's and the like. The docotor did give me some new meds to traet the headaches at least, now I get to walk around like a total zombie instead almost like one, :), WTF, gotta laugh about it to keep from crying, right?

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
Keep up the positive attitude it is almost as important as anything the docs are doing for you. And keep up the great golf. I haven't been able to play in a few weeks and I miss it but hearing someone is still enjoying the most maddening game in the world is nice. You are in my wife and my prayers.

🔥 Latest posts