• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Played a round with a retired instructor.

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
United States United States
Played what was supposed to be 9 holes yesterday but ended up being 18 because of this guy I ended up getting hooked up with around the 4th tee box.
He was probably the best golfer Ive seen to date, finished with a 68 for the round.
At first its the same thing...."SUUUURE you used to teach golf....SUUUURE you usually score in the upper 60s" But after seeing this guy crush the ball down for a chip shot on so many par 4's it became pretty evident that he wasnt exaggerating.

He was EXTREMELY helpful. Very willing to watch and toss out things that an instructor usually might.
What I liked about him was he wasnt trying to REWORK your entire swing but was using what you did naturally and getting it in line with the things you HAVE to do to make good shots.

I watched his short shots to the green a few times and started doing what he was doing with fantastic results. Apparently my shorter shots, the way I swing, is good for lobs but not good for much else. Doing it his way had me up and down much more consistently and with much more control. Very happy.
He watched me putt and said if its working to leave it alone. I look at the ball when I take the stroke and apparently he knows a number of guys who do the same thing and they are all good putters, he said, so since Im completely happy with my putting (the only part of the game I actually can rely on at this point) to just leave it alone.

He said that Im moving too much forward when coming thru the ball and that its likely where Im losing power, so (as Nicklaus also teaches) he said to try to keep behind the ball and not move so much laterally until later in the swing.
He also told me, which I already knew but wasnt taking as seriously as I guess I should have been, that Im coming slightly outside to in some of the time and to make sure Im getting inside to out thru the ball.
I already knew this but wasnt really working on fixing it much because its very slight...not like slicing balls, more just like a few feet of fading....but just enough to miss a green at times.

After a few swings trying to keep the lateral movement under control and making sure to get a slight inside to out path I was dropping balls up closer to the hole from 150 out and hitting the greens more consistently.

I guess he plays at noon on mondays and fridays and he and some other guy are looking for another player who keeps about the same pace they do. Which was another thing I liked about this guy. He doesnt mess around with a 5 minute preshot drama. He takes about 60 seconds or so to get his line down, what hes going to do, address and then hit the ball and back on the move. But in his case the damned ball goes where he wants it to go. I cant remember seeing him miss a shot to the green. The worst he seemed to do was maybe be a little further from the hole than he wanted to be, but he was one and two putting every hole from what Ive seen.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Can be humbling... and exciting... to be hooked up with a player of that caliber. It's even better when they seem like a genuinely nice person. Sounds like you might have a chance to play some more with he and his group. If you do, you'll be able to beat most of us ShotTalkers in a few weeks.:cool:

OP
William Tipton

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
holy flipping crap!

Played 22 holes...just got back.
I think I had four total 'bad' tee shots and two of those were just because of overdoing the inside to out path thing....drew them back too far to the left on tighter holes. Hit a lot more GIR's than I normally do, got 3 of the four par 3's, and even birdied the 13th hole that Ive only managed to par twice in two years of playing this course (well, and playing in golf in general).
I was hitting a bit further than normal too. I ended up playing about 8 holes with a guy who was teeing off from the blacks and got my ball where I normally get it too from the whites....about 20 yards difference or so.

This guy was spot on, no doubt, because as long as I make sure to get the club inside to out and get the face back to square I was getting really great shots with no fade to them whatsoever. Definitely made it easier to hit the greens.

The next problem is why the hell the ball rolls off the back of the green even coming in high.
Someone was saying I need to get a softer ball that sticks better but I aint paying $3/ball for no ProV's :D

OP
William Tipton

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
Can be humbling... and exciting... to be hooked up with a player of that caliber. It's even better when they seem like a genuinely nice person. Sounds like you might have a chance to play some more with he and his group. If you do, you'll be able to beat most of us ShotTalkers in a few weeks.:cool:
I have no delusions of grandeur :D
Talking to some of these guys who say that it was between 8 and 10 years before they really found their game so I figure I got at least 6 years to go before I am a decent player.

It's really nice running into this sort of guy, though. Helpful without being pushy or arrogant like some of them can be. And definitely willing to help for as long as you want him to be.
Im that first grader who is asking questions 100 at a time trying to get every bit of information I can when I find someone who seems like they know what theyre talking about :D

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.