• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Played golf with a "Freak of Nature" today...

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Wow...what an outing!

Played our weekly "random" foursome competetion in our Cedar Rapids course and joining us was a newer member named "Eddie" who I've never played with before...but heard he has some serious, yet unorthodox game he brought with him from the Philippines.

I don't know where to begin in describing this guy...

When I met him at the tee box I figured him to be near 30-ish in age..slim and around 5'-9"....

Turned out he just turned 50!!!

Looked in his bag and he had a 9* ORIGINAL Big Bertha...looked like a fairway wood by today's standards...he had an old set of Hogan Apex irons that he bought from us...a beat up ol original Adams Tight lies 16* fairway wood.

I figured he must play with his kids or something because there was a 56* wedge that was maybe 24-29" long.

Nice guy I thought.

From that point on, from what I saw, I thought then and now...he's a freak of nature.

His swing is something you saw on those old Bugs Bunny cartoons where he's playing baseball and at the plate twists himself in a rubber band fashion....every part of his body twisted...from his feet to his neck, everything was twisted...to the point where he is literally on his tip toes at the end of his backswing....

And unleashed some vicious drives! Not always straight...but damn far.

I am dead serious when I say this: Imagine standing at address...and going into your backswing so far back that your back, is now facing the ball on the tee...and your face towards the sky before you start your down swing.

Reminded me of Linda Blair in the Exorcist...it was almost that "creepy" yet spellbinding to watch.

So that's not all!

When he got within 100 yards of the green, he would pull out that "childrens" wedge and with ONE HAND, very nonchelauntly, pitch it onto the green, easily within a one putt distance...every freakin time.

I asked him what was up with the one hand pitch shots...and he said when he is trying to be exact in his placement, with two hands, they seem to fight each other...those in our foursome who played with him before, concurred and said he would sh*nk the ball repeatedly with two hands.

So short one hand pitch shots are his signature swing.

We have another tournament tomorrow...and if I'm teamed up with him, I'll record it and post it here.

Oh, today? he shot a 3 under 69.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
You gotta get a vid of that swing, and i'l love to see him hit pitches tight with one hand.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
I would love to see his swing and pitch shots.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Wow, that's pretty amazing. I've actually begun to experiment with one-handed short pitches around the green. I know exactly what he's talking about with the hands fighting each other. So far I'm doing it in practice. Maybe I'll try it on the course too.

Video. We definitely need some video.

Lil_Huth

Sep 14, 2007
Wow, lol i thought you were joking when I first read this and then I realized you werent. I def. need to see a video of this guy. Sounds like he is gonna have back problems if he keeps swinging like that.

figjam

Aug 29, 2007
As someone who has had a lifelong affliction of poor chipping, I'm definitely interested in this one handed chipping caper. I'm assuming he is chipping with his right hand, but can you elaborate a little on how he does it. I'd try anything to get more consistency with my chipping and pitching. And if this guy shot 3 under he obviously has a good short game.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
As someone who has had a lifelong affliction of poor chipping, I'm definitely interested in this one handed chipping caper. I'm assuming he is chipping with his right hand, but can you elaborate a little on how he does it. I'd try anything to get more consistency with my chipping and pitching. And if this guy shot 3 under he obviously has a good short game.
I'm only guessing, but I would guess he would be chipping with his left hand as a right handed golfer. This is something I see John Daly always talk about in his shows, indicating that people should practice with one hand.

Interestingly enough, my chipping the last couple weeks has been pretty piss poor and for the first time since I have been playing I have not been able to get a grasp on it even after going down and practicing for several hours at a time the last few weeks. After reading this thread I gave a little thought to why. I went out and played today, and figured as bad as my chipping has been I saw no harm in practicing this on the course. Not that I was desperate enough to go to one hand, but it did jar my memory on what I saw on Daly's shows. I just concentrated on using mainly my left hand and have the right along for the ride. My chipping was considerably better today. Probably something subconscious that made me lose track of something fundamental???

Jules150

Aug 29, 2006
I've seen JD do the one handed chipping thing too.

According to my instructor, theres nothing better you could do for your game than one handed pitch shots. His two sons, both former + cappers, one was a state champ, can both hit 100 yard one handed pitch shots no prob.

OP
indacup

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa

Actually, he does it right handed...best way I can describe the swing is it looks like the way a person would toss a stone to skip on water...kinda lean in and fires.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Actually, he does it right handed...best way I can describe the swing is it looks like the way a person would toss a stone to skip on water...kinda lean in and fires.
Wow, that is pretty different, seems like it would be really difficult to control the clubface and still get a consistent speed. I have just toyed around with the left hand in the past after seeing it mentioned, although it was still difficult, it was not as bad because your arm remained fairly stable and consistent.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
There have been times when I will screw up a short chip & I disgusted...yea I know hard to believe:laugh:, Anyways I have done the one handed deal with my left hand & it's not like I am trying to actually get any results out of it but almost everytime I have done it the ball pops up on the green. Course if I try to do it without being mad at myself for screwing up a shot it never ever works.

GoodDay

Sep 22, 2006
As the old saying goes "don't judge a book by its cover".

I played recently with a local regular who is one of the nicest, most successful biz-ness-men. I had heard he likes to gamble when playing.

One of the ugliest swings you'd see. Swing looks like a beginner's.

I knew he played lots of the top courses and was tied into the local hustlers' crowd. Told me about his scores. I called BS to myself when hearing his stories "I shot +1 the other day at XYZ course from the back tees".

We finally got out together for 9 holes and he finished -1 from the back tees.

Most eye-opening $15 I've ever been hustled for...

Lil_Huth

Sep 14, 2007
Lol I hate when people try to hustle me. One time a guy walked up to me and my brother, he was probably 60-65 years old. He says he cant see his ball anymore because of eye problems. He wants to bet, and we put $4 a hole. I wouldnt do it but my brother did. He beat my brother on all 9 holes. If I would have played I would have beaten him on 8 holes. My brother got hustled bad though lol.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.