• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Played my first round in 13 years today

big mike

Aug 20, 2006
Been practicing at the driving range and my backyard, and stuff, but that's obviously not the same thing.

1st hole, par 4, 332 yards: Everybody else was going 3-wood off the tee because the fairway is kind of narrow. I said screw that noise, I'm hitting my driver, and promptly hit a screamer about 270, right down the middle, right on the sweet spot. What a great feeling!!!!!!

............unfortunately, I hit my sand wedge WAY too hard on the approach and bombed it over the back of the green into some dogwoods. Took me two shots to get out of that mess, and then I two-putted the green. Double bogey.

2nd hole, par 5, 340 yards: Big dogleg to the left -- I played it safe and went 4-iron. Popped it up badly off the tee and only went about 50 feet. Tried to make a big recovery, using my 5-wood to cut out the corner, which miraculously worked. I made the green in four, but then botched a ten-footer for par badly and rolled it completely off the green. Had to Texas wedge back on and two-putted from there. Triple bogey.

3rd hole, par 4, 340 yards: Nothing fancy, just a big wide fairway all the way to the green. My drive was long as hell and hit the fairway............unfortunately, it was the fairway on the next hole. I would've played it, but there was a stand of big oak trees in the way. Took a drop on the right side of the fairway, and once again bombed my sand wedge way over the back of the green. Made a nice putt from about 9 feet or so, but I still ended up with a triple bogey.

4th hole, par 4, 310 yards: Another big wide open fairway. Another slice, plus I topped it. I also topped two iron shots and ended up with another triple bogey.

5th hole, par 3, 180 yards: Hybrid four off the tee, hit it OK with a little slice, but in the bunker to the front of the green. My pattern of stinking it up with the wedge continued and I played in the sand for a little while. Ended up with a stinking 7.

6th hole, par 4, 315 yards: Since I've apparently developed a BIG slice in my swing since the first hole, I aimed for the trees on the left side of the fairway, and ended up about 6 feet from the right edge of it. Approach with the 9-iron from maybe 100 yards landed just off the edge of the green. Once again I Texas wedged it and made my putt. Par!!!!

At this point, everybody in the group was at least 12 over, so we went and had a couple beers, and stopped keeping score for the rest of the match.

Overall, I'd say it was a good day. Now, if I could just learn how to use that damn sand wedge. :)

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
Good to hear you're back in the game Mike. Sounds like you had a blast today.

Jun 24, 2006
Very good start man. You can’t expect to shoot the light out coming of a bog lay off like that. If you get playing a little more that distance control with that wedge will improve on its own.

Good luck in the future.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
big mike said:
At this point, everybody in the group was at least 12 over, so we went and had a couple beers, and stopped keeping score for the rest of the match.

Excellent. This is the best part of your round. I hope you all had a great time. By the sounds of it, you did!

Keep at it, this game is addicting! (sand wedge be damned! LOL!) :D

R35

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.