• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Played my first round of the season...

David B

Nuttier than a Squirrel
Apr 21, 2005
...and I didn't really do too bad at all! :D

The local driving range also has a small 6-hole, par-18 course, and as part of the monthly range plan I'm currently paying for, they throw in three free rounds a month... today was the first one of the three.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, here's how things looked:
(Hole) - (Iron Shots) : (Putts)
1 - 3:1
2 - 1:2
3 - 2:2
4 - 5:1
5 - 3:2
6 - 1:2

I actually came away with two pars, and the best part was that I 1- and 2-putted the whole course... thank goodness, because I was all over the other place otherwise.

My tee shot on the first hole went straight into the bunker protecting the front of the first green, I hit a good shot out of the sand (better than I thought) and sent it across the green into the rough... a small chip and a putt later and I was in.

The second hole, I hacked the ball, and luckily it was a straight worm-burner that rolled up the fairway and up onto the green... two putts and in.

Hole three was a tee shot into a waste area with heavy rough, but I was able to chip over a tree with my sand wedge and put it on the green, then two-putted.

The fourth hole was the worst... I topped the ball and knocked it about 30 yards up the fairway, then on my chip shot I bladed the ball and sent it rolling across the green into another waste area where I lost my ball (a Pro V1X too... ugh). So I took a drop and proceeded to knock that back completely across the green (was on a sidehill lie behind a raised green)... I chipped to within four feet of the hole, and then one-putted.

The fifth wasn't too bad... skulled the ball off the tee again, though this time it ended up about thirty yards from the green... chipped to about twenty feet from the hole... lag putted over a green undulation that sloped to the left and left the ball about four inches short... tap in.

The sixth hole was about the 'best' hole of the series, thankfully, because I picked up a partner on that hole who was playing out... I actually looked like a decent golfer. 7-iron to the back of the green, 15 feet from the hole... lag putted to within 2-1/2 feet, then sunk it for par.

My son got to have a lot of fun too... he isn't really skilled enough to actually play the course yet (he just turned 7), but he was my caddy... he got to keep score, wash the balls (he's been wanting to play with the ball washers since he first saw them), hold the flagstick, and tell me what iron I should play (he was pretty close for the most part). He also got to tell me when my shots sucked (that alone kept him busy). :D

All in all, it was a fun day, though I definitely still have some work to do... thankfully my putting was spot-on, or I would've definitely stunk up the place... as it is, I finished out at +7, which I guess isn't too bad for my first time out in over a year, and my second time on a course since I started playing golf. If I hadn't totally borked the 4th hole I could've finished out at +4, but that's something to shoot for next time.

Okay, I'm done now... I just wanted to share. :)

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Nice round DB.
Oh, wait + 7 for 6 holes.... Yes you suck !
No I'm definetely kidding ;)

The really good thing that impressed me about your round was that you played with your son. That's golden :)

OP
David B

David B

Nuttier than a Squirrel
Apr 21, 2005
Thanks Loop. :)

I admit that at first I was a little apprehensive about taking my son out with me, since he tends to be a little... how should I say it... 'rambunctious' at times. :D

It ended up working out great though... we both had a good time and he wants to caddy for me the next time too. He just got a set of clubs for his birthday in May, so once he can hit the ball fairly decent he'll be playing too.

That way when I'm old and retired he can support me and my wife from his PGA winnings. :D

🔥 Latest posts