• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Playing alone

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
United States United States
How do you feel about it?
Normally, the muni courses are so jammed the problem is getting out at all, not finding someone to play with.
But, I almost always head out to the course as a single, and every so often, I find myself alone on the first tee box. When that happens, I linger for awile to see if there are any twosomes or threesomes coming up - and foursomes I let play through. If nobody comes along that I can play with, I'll head out by myself, but I'd rather play with pretty much anyone, than no one.
Golf is a solitary kind of game - it really shouldn't make any difference. But somehow, it does.
Nobody to praise your good shots or razz you for the bad ones, no one to make small talk with, kind of takes something out of the game.
Funny thing is, the people that I get paired up with often irritate me for one reason or another - but still, I'd rather have someone along.
How do you feel about playing alone?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I love it.
The majority of my rds are played by myself, the only ones I play paired up are with the guys from work. I despise being paired up with complete strangers.

When i head to one of my local courses, if it's backed up at all I will leave & go find a course that's relatively open which is easy to do around here.

Jun 24, 2006
If I had a choice I would play alone instead of with 3 strangers.

I would play with people I know well and get along with easily instead though.

However, I love playing alone in the evenings when the course is empty.

Bubble Head

Oct 14, 2006
I am willing to play in light rain and sub 50 F temps so I play alone a lot. I usually play and score 2 balls. It gets me a lot more practice.

I do things like don't use tees and just tee off with my 3 wood to practice hitting it off the deck.

I like to play with people, but playing alone is great too.

RustyL

Sep 20, 2007
I play mostly by myself. Though i just picked up this game 5 months ago; I find it to where I can tee off and practice my second shot and short game. Playing with friends or strangers makes me play faster than I wish.

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
i like to play w/ my buddies all the time, but i also like to go as a single (not even a stranger) and just work on my game.

i probably have a dozen time where i was on the course by myself "improving."

but for the most part, i'd like some company.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Playing alone, but in a group? I do that a lot. I haven't had a friend golfing with me in ages, except my fiance.

Play alone, all by myself? I love it. Sub-3 Hour Round.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Always enjoy playing with someone. Another single... or joining a two or threesome. Over the years, have met some really neat people. Only a couple of times have I ever been paired with anyone who would qualify as jerks.

I'm not my own best company. I really beat myself up. Will usually go home in a bad mood because I've had a chance to get upset over some aspect of my game. When accompanying others, you can get 'lost' in their games and yours.

I would much rather play with someone better than I, but never turn down the opportunity to enjoy the time with someone learning the game. The only thing that really ticks me off is someone who uses a cell phone while playing. (But, that's another entire subject!!!)

Over the years, I've traveled a lot in my work. That has allowed me to play courses away from home and away from those folks I know. It is amazing how the larger city courses will insist on you joining another group while many of the smaller, more rural areas seem surprised that you would want to 'invite yourself' into one of the local cliques.

I play golf

Aug 11, 2007
Never liked playing alone, so I usually never do unless there is really something I just primarily want to work on that day. I have never met a bad person really at my home course ( not to say that there isn't ), and usually have a great day even if it is with 3 complete strangers. I do agree with you also that it takes away some fun in the game( in fact I agreed with you on almost everything; I wait usually on the first tee as well until a group comes along)

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I always like to play alone once in awhile. It takes all pressure off and I can work on some things assuming the course isn't crowded. If it's crowded you're usually paired with someone else. I don't mind playing with strangers. I've met lot's of nice people that way. :)

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
playing alone when walking is great - playing alone with a cart is awful - it's amazing how often I ask my partner to "grab that putter again!"

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
It is amazing how the larger city courses will insist on you joining another group while many of the smaller, more rural areas seem surprised that you would want to 'invite yourself' into one of the local cliques.

And that pisses me off at times, you hit the course as a twosome maybe you have your wife with you & she is just learning the game or you have a buddy & you really don't want to play with anyone else. The course is not even booked up yet they insist on someone pairing up with you.

I will let them play along but usually within 2-3 holes I tell them to just go ahead & play through. Not once have I had the single player tell me something like "no, I would rather play with you guys".

I too at times use the course as nothing more than a big practice area. I have been known to throw 3-4 balls into the sand & just practice pitching them up onto the green. Obviously I would never ever do that on a course that's busy, but I find that sort of practice is much more beneficial as compared to a driving range.

OP
Libre

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
Well, that's just the thing.
Playing alone is a totally different kind of round than playing with others.
When alone, you can hit 2 or more balls and practice, or chip and putt around for awhile on different greens, or hit a bunch of balls out of the sand trap. And, there's great benefit to that, when you want to work on your game.
But I'd really rather just play a round of golf.
That means carding every stroke and playing a single ball.
That's not working ON the game, that IS the game.
I can't get too excited about a great shot or too perturbed about a bad one if I'm just practicing. So, it's a less intense experience by far. Now, when I'm in a group, and I start to rack up a few consecutive pars, or realize I have a chance to score a personal low for 9 holes, I get pumped. It's exciting. It's what the game is all about. You can never experience that when playing alone, working on your game, playing a few balls.
That's why I think golf is more fun when played in the company of others. Keeps you honest.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
I love playing alone, I do play with a guy from work and hate joining up with strangers.

dukejh12

May 19, 2007
played some of my best golf EVER when i was alone and when i went home i can normally talk about my round and have my buddies to back me up, well when i came home and was talking about how I put it within 10 ft of the pin with a 3 wood off the deck people for some reason just find it hard to believe:(.

I don't mind playing with other people at all, in fact its kinda fun. but my uncle absolutely DESPISES it. He is really shy around people he doesnt know and gets all nervous and normally sucks it up. So when me and him have a tee time i just pray that they will let us play without anyone else

Staff online

Members online