• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Playing Alone

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
United States United States
Golf, in its essence, is a solo activity. Of course you CAN play with others, but the game itself is between the course and you. Nobody else is needed. No one is even allowed to interfere - which is rather rare in any kind of competitive sport. That's one of the things that I love about it. You can play it alone.

When I play alone, I start the round with one ball and hope for the best. I'll play just a straight round with one ball, and if things don't go horribly wrong, I'll play the one ball shot by shot and just keep score the same as if I'm playing in a group. If things do go horribly wrong and the score seems unsalvageable, I might ease up and play more of a practice round and hit several shots here and there. But my goal when I start is to play a regular round. I'm always walking, and can't go chasing 2 or 3 balls anyway.

Do you enjoy playing alone?
I used to actually try to avoid it - I was more competitive back then I guess - liked playing against someone - but now I like playing solo very much. I'm retired in New Mexico and there's a lot of golf here in Albuquerque and I usually walk right up - I have an annual pass to all the city courses - and go straight out. Different story from Bethpage State Park on the weekends, where I used to play most of my rounds.

One question for you - and as insignificant as this may seem in the scheme of things - still - this has tortured me.
How do you treat a tap-in? It really applies when playing alone or with others, but especially when alone. You're less than a foot from the hole. You get careless for one moment, rake the ball over, and it misses. I hate when it happens, and go from scoring it from par, no bogie, no par, no bogie - oh screw it. And the card can look sloppy. Numbers changed. Ugliness. And I want it to be right. But I'm not perfect.
The solution is take a moment and make sure you tap the tap-in, in. Still - it's going to miss sometimes and how miserable do you feel about it? OR do you just rake it away without holing it? I like to hole it (as everyone does) but it might miss! Raking away avoids this anguish. But spoils the round in a way unless you can forget about it. Which I can't.

What other things about playing alone come to mind? I love the solitude now. Only counting my own shots. Not worried about anyone else's ball but mine. And the new flagstick rule makes it more practical now. You really need zero assistance. I enjoy playing with others as well, but it's a wonderful game to play alone, if you like your own company.

Last edited:

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
20+ years ago, I did play alone some. Didn't mind it. Over the past couple of decades, seldom have played without company. The few times I have, I find I'm not my own best company. I enjoy the banter and the conversation. I will never be great at this frustrating game. So, to me, it's more a social experience than athletic competition.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I have no problem playing alone, especially in the evening, just a few holes, chillaxing and working on my game. But I'd rather play with my son or Father in Law or a friend. I also like competitive golf and you need to play with others to do that.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
I prefer playing with others. The occasional single round is OK, but I see golf as a fellowship of friends, or a way to get to know someone that I don't know, or know well.

Play your tap-ins. You earned the sound of a holed golf ball. Play your tap-ins like any other putt. Pay attention. Stroke it correctly. Hole the putt. A miss counts just as much as a 40 foot lag putt did.

OP
Libre

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
I prefer playing with my regular golf bud, if I have the choice. But he travels a lot. I go as a single and get paired up with anyone. Strangers are usually ok. I tend to get along with most people. But I don’t mind playing alone anymore.

OP
Libre

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
Case in point: played with my regular golf bud today, and we were joined by a third. Nice enough guy, but somewhere after we started, I heard music from his golf bag. Not LOUD LOUD music. But I could hear it well enough. I thought it was his phone, and told him he was getting a call - as he was on the tee. He came over and said, oh, no, that's my music. I let it go, and the music at least was pretty good - Bob Marley and soft rock, etc. But I could hear it on the tee, and anytime I was near the guy on the course. Would it have bothered you? Would you have asked him to turn it off? It's not like he asked if it was okay - he was just playing his tunes, and loud enough that I could hear it.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Case in point: played with my regular golf bud today, and we were joined by a third. Nice enough guy, but somewhere after we started, I heard music from his golf bag. Not LOUD LOUD music. But I could hear it well enough. I thought it was his phone, and told him he was getting a call - as he was on the tee. He came over and said, oh, no, that's my music. I let it go, and the music at least was pretty good - Bob Marley and soft rock, etc. But I could hear it on the tee, and anytime I was near the guy on the course. Would it have bothered you? Would you have asked him to turn it off? It's not like he asked if it was okay - he was just playing his tunes, and loud enough that I could hear it.

I’m not a fan. All I want to hear is my footsteps, birdsongs and the wind in the trees. There’s a brand called Amp Caddy that hawks a blue tooth loudspeaker that clips on to golf carts. They promote it all over social media, showing clips of trendoids playing golf with music blaring. I wouldn’t be able to stand it. I’d tell an offending golf partner to turn the fvcking thing off.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
This the guy? And, you need to quit smoking. It'll kill you.

iu

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I would have told him the first time I heard it that either the music goes, or he does. When I played, and when I play in the future, I'm not there to listen to music. I'm there to play golf, enjoy my friends, and shoot the best I can. It requires a little concentration.

Having said that, if he wants to listen on earphones, fine. Listen while walking, fine. But while anyone is hitting/putting, nope. Turn it all the way down or stop altogether.

OP
Libre

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
I would have told him the first time I heard it that either the music goes, or he does. When I played, and when I play in the future, I'm not there to listen to music. I'm there to play golf, enjoy my friends, and shoot the best I can. It requires a little concentration.

Having said that, if he wants to listen on earphones, fine. Listen while walking, fine. But while anyone is hitting/putting, nope. Turn it all the way down or stop altogether.
One of the toughest decisions in life is where to take a stand.
Would I do it (play audible music when golfing)? Never. If someone wants to listen with earphones, I have no problem with that. Just keep it to yourself.
And that goes for cigar smokers as well.
Did it bother me? Yes, but it was a small thing. So I let it go.

Today the course was totally empty. Nobody ahead of me, and nobody behind. Just that coyote (yeah, a real coyote) on the 10th hole - he's always around there. Played alone, 1 ball, had an 11 on a par 5. But played anther par 5 beautifully, although I just missed the birdie putt. That's the game. I love it and playing alone is just fine.

Last edited:

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
And that goes for cigar smokers as well.
Did it bother me? Yes, but it was a small thing. So I let it go.

Damn...you compared music to a cigar...damn...[emoji6]

I can't remember 1 round I played alone I didn't enjoy. It's a nice break.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I went down to the chipping green last night at dusk, spent about 45 mins trying to get up and down with 5 balls from all sorts of places. Not a sinner around, just me and my crazy self at one with the universe. Beautiful evening, even when the light went. Sometimes it's good to be alone, takes the stress out of the day.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
You guys must live in weird places because every course within 50 miles of me either a) doesn't allow singles, or b) is always too packed for singles.

That said, growing up I played alone sometimes. Not really my cup o' tea.

🔥 Latest posts