• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Playing Golf With Injuries

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
Injuries not sustained from golf itself.

In the last 10 years I've played golf with a torn meniscus, a bruised sternum, a (mostly healed) broken hand, and a pulled groin (both sides, different times). But this latest round was crazy...

On Tuesday I lightly pulled my right groin while playing hockey. FYI - you can play with a pulled left groin quite easily, the right side absolutely different story. So as a compromise I found that if I played each shot as a punch, keeping all of my weight on my left side, I can easily get through the ball. In fact, my drives were only a few yards shorter and I only had to club up one iron. I was able to control the ball much better, in fact, and had zero pain. Weird how this game works.

What injury (injuries) have you played through?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Last summer my back and sciatica were a mess. I was down on the floor for the better part of 2 weeks, laying flat on my back was the iy way I could find a comfortable spot. After about 2 months of PT I was able to get back to some kind of normal and after 3 I played my first round of golf. I was so nervous that round, I was swinging max 60%. Funny things was I didn’t score that much worse, was much more on line with my shots and distances weren’t that far off. Really opened my eyes as far as my game goes, of course this year I was back to over swinging and an achy back. Towards the end of the season I tried swing slowly again…shot my best 5 round stretch ever. Come spring I’m gonna try to swing easy!

That back injury was no joke though, it was awful! I don’t wish back issues on anybody. It’s so miserable, had to carry on basic day to day functions.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
2004: Friday, wife took me to the ER with a kidney stone. Stent slid in between kidney and bladder. Pumped full of pain meds and told to come back the following Wednesday to have the lithotripsy... blow up the stone. Saturday morning, showed up for our tee time. Peeing a bloody mix and pretty high on pain meds.
2009: Total knee replacement August 15. Doc said don't even think about playing golf for at least 90 days. September 17, I was back on the golf course chipping and putting. By October 1, I was making full swings.
2011: Dropped a manhole lid on my right foot. Broke the big toe... for at least the second time. Don't remember what day of the week that was, but played golf that weekend. Had our own cart, then, and riding to the ball was certainly appreciated.
2016: Carpal tunnel surgery. Doc said to give it 30 days to heal before playing golf... preferably longer. 7 days later was playing. Opened up the incision. Told the nurse I was "doing some outside work". Month later, they did the other hand. I gave that one 8 days. Didn't totally open up that one, so didn't go back to the doc.
Playing ever day at this age, something always hurts. Currently have a wrist and a shoulder that give some trouble. If the wrist hurts too much, have a small brace I put on. The shoulder seems to like some "Vitamin I"... Ibuprofen.
Have had back trouble since teen years. Will bend over to pick up something or just the simple act of putting pants on in the morning and the back will pop. Best cure for it is a round of golf. If I sit and pout, it takes forever to quit hurting. Head to the golf course and it's loosened back up by the turn.

If something hurts, I know I woke up this morning. The day nothing hurts... Well, don't want to go there.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
My hockey career ended senior year of high school with a broken collar bone, tried hitting someone much larger than myself. First question for the doctor was “will I be able to swing a golf club when the courses open?” I was already working weekends to get the course open...

Few years ago I fell off a ramp while pushing a wheelbarrow full of sod rolls. Tied my boot back up and finished the load of sod, in agonizing pain. Wasn’t until I got home, couldn’t walk anymore and my nurse wife saw my foot. I got sent to the ER, tore tendons and ligaments and was laid up for two weeks.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
My hockey career ended senior year of high school with a broken collar bone, tried hitting someone much larger than myself. First question for the doctor was “will I be able to swing a golf club when the courses open?” I was already working weekends to get the course open...

Few years ago I fell off a ramp while pushing a wheelbarrow full of sod rolls. Tied my boot back up and finished the load of sod, in agonizing pain. Wasn’t until I got home, couldn’t walk anymore and my nurse wife saw my foot. I got sent to the ER, tore tendons and ligaments and was laid up for two weeks.
But the question is: did you play golf while having those injuries?

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
But the question is: did you play golf while having those injuries?
Yes sir! I continued to work with my shoulder in a brace for two weeks to get the courses open and played opening weekend.

My foot was one of my more serious injuries so far in my life. I was legit down and out for two weeks. But once I was back up and walking on it I went to the range. Then played two rounds riding in a cart and it heavily wrapped. It was a couple months before I tried walking the course on it. And truthfully I still have a tensor in my golf bag today.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Few years ago I had gut surgery and got infection. I was playing with a drain in my stomach and a bag hanging out the bottom of my shorts. Then a year ago in the fall I was playing with pain in my right foot but playing pretty good. Turned out I had a broken bone in my foot and got surgery over the winter and took 3 months to mend. Just in time for last summer golf. Had ankylosing spondilitus in my younger days so still get some back pain occasionally.

🔥 Latest posts