• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Playing golf with your family

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
How many here play golf primarily with their wife and kids? This year we purchased a family membership at a local semi-private club where I have belonged as a single in the past. Most every round I have played this year has been with my wife and eleven year old daughter. I played a couple rounds with my buddy, a couple with clients, and one with my new Shot Talk friends a couple weeks ago, but the rest of my year has been family golf.

There were some early season frustrating moments, but as the summer progressed the rounds became more and more fun. Both my wife and daughter have improved immensely, especially in recent weeks. We play a substantial golf course, and they move quickly and have become pretty proficient at staying out of trouble.

The best thing has been the progress of my little girl. She's had lessons and we hit balls in the past, but this year I felt she was ready to hit the course. She went from a couple early summer rounds where tears were shed and discouragement was almost overwhelming, to a little kid that marks her ball on the green and cleans it with the damp towel she carries. She reads greens pretty well for putts and chips, wants to make sure her alignment is correct before swinging, and even uses a little course management. Last weekend she had a round with three pars, and a total of 112 which included a couple mulligans. Yesterday she had 114. She putts in the house, worries about her reverse weight shift and a loop in her swing, and is really starting to get into the game. We watch the Golf Channel and she pays attention to the swings of the LPGA players. She also pays close attention to how they dress. She's a real golfer, albeit a miniature one. It's really cool to play with her. People at the club are starting to notice her, talk to her, and encourage her. Yesterday, when she just missed a 10 footer for birdie and made par on a tough par three, the group on the adjacent fairway applauded. The smile on her face was incredible.

Today we got rained out after six holes, (I played the last three of the front while they warmed themselves in the clubhouse). When we got home, she played with her American Girl dolls. :D

Kevin

Long post, but I'm really proud of her. Teach your kids to play golf. It'll warm your Shot Talk heart and get you on the golf course more often.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Really cool---You're are great parents--Sharing with your child--and enjoying her fun. Just be sure it she takes ownership of her game and she is playing for herself. Internal motivation. I have seen too many Little League parents drive their kids too hard. It's sad to see the this behavior build a wall between the child and parents.

Golf is a individual game and it sounds like all is good.

Keep it up!!!!!

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
I play golf with my father sometimes. My parents live in NE Wisconsin, so we dont get to play together very often, but its fun when we do.
My father is actually a pretty decent golfer considering he has never really played the game, has never learned how to properly hit a golf ball and is almost 60 years old, so his flexibility isnt what it once was.
He normally shoots bogey or double bogey, which is pretty good for him, IMO.
Its always good to see families out playing golf together. Today when I was on the course I saw a gentleman playing with his son and daughter. I think thats a great thing.
IMO, this world would be a much better place if families spent more time doing things like that and less time watching TV and playing video games.

OP
Esox

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Really cool---You're are great parents--Sharing with your child--and enjoying her fun. Just be sure it she takes ownership of her game and she is playing for herself. Internal motivation. I have seen too many Little League parents drive their kids too hard. It's sad to see the this behavior build a wall between the child and parents.

Golf is a individual game and it sounds like all is good.

Keep it up!!!!!

We have had discussions about how much we've played. She understands that we want her to have fun. Early on when she was frustrated and discouraged, I talked to her very frankly about how the game is supposed to be fun, and she needed to enjoy the good shots and not dwell on the bad. It's golf, there will always be bad shots, and dwelling on them can ruin the game. I had a terrible temper on the golf course as a kid and young man, and it held me back in the game. I know what it like to focus only on the bad.

She gets no pressure from us to play the game, but I obviously had high hopes she would want to if exposed to it. So far so good. Other than some park and rec softball, she has not taken to team sports. Didn't like soccer at all, and is not crazy about basketball. She does enjoy tennis, another individual sport. I make sure we communicate every week, and if she wants to do something else, she knows she doesn't have to play. She has friends playing select soccer that seem pretty miserable, and their parents and coaches drive them like sled dogs. She'll never have to endure that.

She is in sixth grade. There is an excellent girls golf program at her future high school, and we have been following their successes in the paper. Hopefully she will want to play at that time. I enjoyed being a high school golfer immensely, and I think she would, too. But if in three years she's not interested, that will be fine with her mother and me.

For now, I'm just glad to have a golf buddy without an angry wife that can play a couple times a week. LOL.

Kevin

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
How many here play golf primarily with their wife and kids?

The best thing has been the progress of my little girl. She's had lessons and we hit balls in the past, but this year I felt she was ready to hit the course. She went from a couple early summer rounds where tears were shed and discouragement was almost overwhelming, to a little kid that marks her ball on the green and cleans it with the damp towel she carries. She reads greens pretty well for putts and chips, wants to make sure her alignment is correct before swinging, and even uses a little course management. Last weekend she had a round with three pars, and a total of 112 which included a couple mulligans. Yesterday she had 114. She putts in the house, worries about her reverse weight shift and a loop in her swing, and is really starting to get into the game. We watch the Golf Channel and she pays attention to the swings of the LPGA players. She also pays close attention to how they dress. She's a real golfer, albeit a miniature one. It's really cool to play with her. People at the club are starting to notice her, talk to her, and encourage her. Yesterday, when she just missed a 10 footer for birdie and made par on a tough par three, the group on the adjacent fairway applauded. The smile on her face was incredible.

Today we got rained out after six holes, (I played the last three of the front while they warmed themselves in the clubhouse). When we got home, she played with her American Girl dolls. :D

Kevin

Long post, but I'm really proud of her. Teach your kids to play golf. It'll warm your Shot Talk heart and get you on the golf course more often.

Except for the wife part, I am with you, Kevin. My daughter is 8 and has every intention of turning pro. She doesn't have the stamina of your daughter, but we have a little 1,000 yard par 3 muni course in town, and we go there a lot. There's a local pro who does kids' courses. She's taken several, and starting next weekend, we'll be doing a series of parent-child clinics together.

Definitely into the LPGA players and the clothes. Worships Paula Creamer (we won't tell her about the temper tantrums this week). My daughter has a pink bear hanging from her bag named Paula and a headcover named Lorena.

The third graders have a big project due today, where they have to demonstrate their expertise in some area. Hers is golf, and I can't wait to hear about her report.
IMGP0330.jpg
IMGP0329.jpg

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I got my wife interested this year... but then she hurt her knee and couldn't play. So we've gotta get that fixed then she'll be able to play again. My daughter shows "some" signs of wanting to play, we got her a Jr. set, but she's only 7 and doesn't take it very serious, which is fine. If she wants to play that would be great, but if she doesn't I'm certainly not gonna force it on her.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I've hinted to the wife and daughter about it but they don't have any interest. Had all girls so no son to play with. i do have a couple grandsons and I got my one sil into golf. He's now a fanatic and I'm hoping he'll get my grandson into it some day. Until then I get paired with a few young guys once in awhile and it's fun to play with them. :)

I'm extremely jealous of you guys (gals) with sons or daughters to play with.. :)

RC52

It's in the hole-ASSCLOWN
Mar 30, 2008
I've got my GF into the game this year, and now her parents are playing. It's been awesome. So, when we are staying at her parents beach house all they want to do is play golf. It sure made a fun summer!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I think playing golf with family is one of the greatest things there is. I'm very lucky to live near enough to my Dad that we can play several times a year. I wish I was closer (distance-wise) to my brother. When he lived in Florida we played together a lot, and his daughter (now 14) loves the game. She's on her high scholl team, and I really look forward to our first round together.

I like playing golf with strangers, and of course my regular foursome. But nothing beats a round with family.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Except for the wife part, I am with you, Kevin. My daughter is 8 and has every intention of turning pro. She doesn't have the stamina of your daughter, but we have a little 1,000 yard par 3 muni course in town, and we go there a lot. There's a local pro who does kids' courses. She's taken several, and starting next weekend, we'll be doing a series of parent-child clinics together.

Definitely into the LPGA players and the clothes. Worships Paula Creamer (we won't tell her about the temper tantrums this week). My daughter has a pink bear hanging from her bag named Paula and a headcover named Lorena.

The third graders have a big project due today, where they have to demonstrate their expertise in some area. Hers is golf, and I can't wait to hear about her report.

Has she played a full size course, and if so what does she shoot?

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
I think playing golf with family is one of the greatest things there is. I'm very lucky to live near enough to my Dad that we can play several times a year. I wish I was closer (distance-wise) to my brother. When he lived in Florida we played together a lot, and his daughter (now 14) loves the game. She's on her high scholl team, and I really look forward to our first round together.

I like playing golf with strangers, and of course my regular foursome. But nothing beats a round with family.

You're lucky with your Dad, Eracer. I didn't take up the game until he was past his playing days--heart and circulatory problems. He was good in his day. My folks were here last month, and we did make it around our little par 3, but even that took its toll on him. Plus he got stuck with my husband's cheapo clubs. But Dad drove the green on the last hole (all of 140 yards), and his reaction was just priceless.

The man should have started me playing in my teens, but it never occurred to him to get a daughter involved. Pity.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
You're lucky with your Dad, Eracer. I didn't take up the game until he was past his playing days--heart and circulatory problems. He was good in his day. My folks were here last month, and we did make it around our little par 3, but even that took its toll on him. Plus he got stuck with my husband's cheapo clubs. But Dad drove the green on the last hole (all of 140 yards), and his reaction was just priceless.

The man should have started me playing in my teens, but it never occurred to him to get a daughter involved. Pity.
Indeed I am lucky. We started late as well. Not to bore you, but I don't think we ever played together until well after I graduated college. Fortunately, he still plays the game at a fairly decent level - beats me most times, shot a 79 not too long ago, and can still drive the ball as far as I can. Now if I could just convince that stubborn Italian to put the driver away on the short, tight par 4's...

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Indeed I am lucky. We started late as well. Not to bore you, but I don't think we ever played together until well after I graduated college. Fortunately, he still plays the game at a fairly decent level - beats me most times, shot a 79 not too long ago, and can still drive the ball as far as I can. Now if I could just convince that stubborn Italian to put the driver away on the short, tight par 4's...

Wonder where we've seen that stubborn Italian thing around here?

🔥 Latest posts