• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Playing golf with your family

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Not me...no sirree. No stubborness here.
icon10.gif

Still sleeping on the sofa? ;)

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Yeah, why are you on the sofa, E???

Most of you know I play with the family. My father, wife, and both step sons all play. We have played every combination of the above at some point except all 5 of us at once.

I wouldn't trade it for the world. I hope that my youngest daughter will play...my oldest daughter is a lost cause with golf. :(

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005

Most of you know I play with the family. My father, wife, and both step sons all play. We have played every combination of the above at some point except all 5 of us at once.

I wouldn't trade it for the world. I hope that my youngest daughter will play...my oldest daughter is a lost cause with golf. :(
Jeff's wife kicked me out...:thumbs up:

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I picked up the game as something for my wife and I do together. We basically are on the course every chance we get, as we have no kids. No one else in our immediate families golf.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Tried to get my wife interested in the game, but she absolutley hates it. No other relatives around here, parents & grandparents are dead, brother & sister live on the east coast.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I have posted several times about the fun I have with my 2 boys. I also play a couple times of year with my 2 brothers and my dad. Just thinking that my dad probably doesn't have too may games left in him (he's 73!!) so we'll need to get something organised soon. Problem is everyone is just too damn busy for golf!!

Can you believe that?

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008

Girls that age will only do what other girls that age do. So the trick is to make it cool for your older daughter and her friends. There are some programs--I think the LPGA sponsors one--aimed specifically at girls.

And then there's Golfer Girl Magazine Home Page Put on sunglasses to follow that link--it's VERY pink. :cool: You can pretty much read the magazine on the web site, though I like to pay to support the sisters who've put it together. Note no clothing prices in the fashion spreads. If you have to ask, you can't afford it. The magazine is too old for my daughter but may be right for your older one.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
On occasion with my dad, mom, or wife. No kids yet though, :(

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I took up the game when my Dad started playing with some guys he worked with in my teens. We played together for several years, then he just got sick of it and quit. He never was that good and stayed frustrated. Then about 10 years ago my oldest step-son took up the game. I tried then to get back into it, but a couple of injuries and surgeries derailed me getting back into golf until a little over a year ago. Now all 4 of my boys play, we try to get together at least several times a year to play. Every time we do its a blast. I enjoy those rounds more than any I play. Granted, there isn't much good golf played, its more like the 3 Stooges playing golf than anything resembing actual golfers but a great time is had by all. 2 of my sons actually stink at golf, but don't want to put forth the effort to improve. The other 2 are pretty good though.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Girls that age will only do what other girls that age do. So the trick is to make it cool for your older daughter and her friends. There are some programs--I think the LPGA sponsors one--aimed specifically at girls.

And then there's Golfer Girl Magazine Home Page Put on sunglasses to follow that link--it's VERY pink. :cool: You can pretty much read the magazine on the web site, though I like to pay to support the sisters who've put it together. Note no clothing prices in the fashion spreads. If you have to ask, you can't afford it. The magazine is too old for my daughter but may be right for your older one.
She has tried the game, but finds it boring. And she has friends who play in addition to our family and her stepfather (who is a very good golfer). She also has 2 sets of clubs available (her mom's old ones and her stepmom's first set) along with shoes since she and my wife wear the same size. She simply doesn't like the game. But that's fine, I only want her there if she's having fun.

My 9 yr. old daughter will play, I'm sure. She's all about keeping up with her older step brothers. But for her, it'll be like surfing (which all 4 of my kids do): she walked up to me one day 2 years ago on the beach and said "I want to surf on William's board and I want you and William with me". I took her out, he waited for her to come in, she got up first time and never asked for help again. This was after an entire season of saying she didn't want to surf...she wouldn't even ride the boogie board in the waves! So, I'm sure she'll play as she likes the game.

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
Play a lot with my uncle and my father in law all the time. I will take my daughter with me but she doesnt really play, just beat it around alittle.

natex14

Oct 6, 2008
Playing with the fam

New guy here from Flint Michigan here.

I took my kids out to play golf for the first time this year. I have taken them to the driving range and the practice greena lot, but never to the course. Now you are about to find out how stupid the new guy is. My oldest daughter has just turned 6, but was 5 at the time, and my youngest is 2. They both have a real driver, iron and putter. Yes, I have bruises.

It was like my two favorite things in the world came together. Spending time with my wife and two kids, and golfing. You would think it couldn't get any better.

Let me tell you the hell I went through that day. We made it through five holes in two hours, and all nine holes were only 800 yards. The little one almost went swimming in a pond, no one would listen, not even my wife.

Anyway, golfing with kids is great, and I think my 6 year is ready, but just a warning, 2 year olds and golf courses don't mix well, but I'm sure everyone but me knew that.

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
My eight-year-old (the Paula Creamer wannabe) and I had our first parent-child golf clinic today. It was really helpful. I firmly believe that golf is a game best taught by non-relatives, and I'm not confident about my own game to coach my daughter. I'll help her with all the static stuff--pre-shot routine, etiquette, stance, that sort of thing. But nothing involving moving parts.

We've both worked, independently, with this pro. By the end of the hour, we had three things he wants her to work on--ball postion, lining up putts, and weight transfer. He helped me coach her, so I can work on it with her going forward. And because it originally came from a third party, I hope she'll accept it.

He really is a great pro. Not technical at all, but just having him watching me improves my game. I wish I could pay to have him follow me around when I play.

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
"I firmly believe that golf is a game best taught by non-relatives,.."

Too bad more husbands/boyfriends don't understand that.

My wife and I play every Sunday afternoon. I also play on Saturday in a foursome. She plays in a league on Tuesday. We both agree that Sunday afternoon is our favorite golf. The nice thing about having a partner that plays is that they are understanding when you want to sneak off for a round and always willing to take that golf vacation to Hawaii. :D

We played today. The weather was terrific, bluebird skies, awesome foliage and emerald fairways. Unfortunately, we both sucked today but that was OK. Probably paying too much attention to the day and not enough to the game.

🔥 Latest posts