• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Playing in the Rain...

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Everyone's done it, but have you ever played in a down right monsoon?

I was itching to swing some clubs, and go try out the new hybrid I picked up this week finally.. 40% chance of rain and an invite from a golf buddy to play 9 after work sounded good to me.

Loaded up the walking bag, and met him at the course.. Hadn't played at this place in a while and they only wanted $9 to walk.. Sounds good to me!!

Walking is good sometimes, although I normally ride. Piped a drive down the right side, and used my new hybrid and destroyed the ball. Left it just on the fringe of the 530 yard par 5.

Then the rain comes.. And goes... and comes back with a vengeance.

I was soaked to the bone. My towels were dripping wet, my bag had water draining out of the bottom of it as I carried it. My headcovers were like cinder blocks, and the ONE glove I had in the bag, was now soaked.

After carding a double on the par 4, I hit the green with a knock down shot, only because I couldn't swing out of my shoes.

I sent my 8i flying almost towards the lake on my approach shot..

Needless to say, I can't play in the rain. Slightly raining, I'm okay. Extra gloves, maybe a rain jacket, or not forgetting to carry the cover for the bag would help.. I simply couldn't hold on to the club, and was not enjoying it. We laughed it off, and mucked around.. The greens were drenched, the cups were full of water and it was standing on the greens. Putting was IMPOSSIBLE. Think US OPEN raining.

Decided to kiss it goodbye after 6 holes.. The lightning did exactly make me feel comfortable enough to finish my follow through with my 4-iron high in the sky. :)

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Rain gloves my man.

I carry two sets that just stay in the bag. One set for me, one set to stop the whining from the guy that doesn't have them that I'm playing with.

Whenever I have shop credit after a tourney, the first thing I buy is rain gloves. You can never have too many.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
my winter is rain, 4-5 months of wet. i've got gore-tex, 4-5 pairs of gloves, stickum, retractable rain cover for my bag, water proof high top shoes with gators, 62" umbrella,hand/toe warmers, and extra absorbent towels all used in one round of golf.

this is golfing in the Pacific NorthWest september-february.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Yep, preparation, and rain gloves. I have a pair I leave in my bag always, just in case. But you were smart to quit once the lightening started. No sense in pushing your luck holding up a makeshift lightening rod. :thumbs up:

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
i would've quit only because of the standing waters on the greens. can't putt on that crap.

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Well, even if I had rain gloves, I'm sure putting on the flooded greens wouldn't help. Couldn't see the hole without the flag stick because of all the water. :)

I'll look into the rain gloves though, never had a pair, but generally we haven't played much in more than a moderate rain, that only lasts for an hour or so.

Which brand/gloves are better?

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I have the FJ rain gloves. They are great. I'm in a tournament this weekend and it's supposed to rain both days. I'll be in full gear almost certainly unfortunately.

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Thanks.. I'll take a look at 'em.. Living the south, we don't have a TON of rain, but this year has been different.

I have a nice rain jacket that I can zip sleeves off, and thats the most I've ever had to use. Don't own a pair of rain pants..

kwcsports

Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2006
Another vote for FJ rain gloves. I have played 15-20 rounds in heavy rain this year and I would have never done it without the gloves. Full rain gear, gloves, good umbrella and my clicgear and I'll play in just about any conditions. 109 rounds and counting:thumbs up:

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Well, even if I had rain gloves, I'm sure putting on the flooded greens wouldn't help. Couldn't see the hole without the flag stick because of all the water. :)

I'll look into the rain gloves though, never had a pair, but generally we haven't played much in more than a moderate rain, that only lasts for an hour or so.

Which brand/gloves are better?

Rain gloves are actually pretty awesome during our typical August when it isn't raining, too. This year was nothing, but those normal humid as all hell summers when you're pouring sweat 5 minutes into the round rain gloves are fantastic. I got that tip from someone here, I think maybe PaJayhawk.

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I usually don't have a problem.

Yesterday I was able to keep sorta dry from the downpour, and my bag was on a cart and covered, so it really wasnt bad at all, and I took my glove off after each shot, so it stayed dry.

I'm gonna grab a few of those rain gloves though. I hate ruining a good glove due to the rain.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
IMO, only and idiot would stay out in a thunderstorm. Here in Colorado, it rarely rains without lightning, so playing in the rain is not really an option. I've played through a few showers, but when the thunder starts to roll, I'm gone.

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I'm fine with rain, I'm fine with a little distant thunder, but I'll be damned if I'm staying out when I see a pop of lightning. We went in as soon as it cracked the first time!

Plus they blow the horn, and want everyone in anyways.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.