• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Playing into groups.......

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Whats you take on it?

On a light day on the course, you and a bud at playing at a good clip, but not rushing, and the 3 some in front of you is keeping you waiting on the tee boxes and fairways... Do you say anything? Play to close they offer to play through? Hit into them to give them a "hint"?

I ask because, I played Saturday afternoon. Busy, busy day at the course, everyone was out, since it was 77 degrees and completely sunny. Played a new course, that was a lot of fun. However.... for the two douchebags behind us.

We were a 3-some, had 4, 4-somes in front of us that I could see. The group in front of us, wasn't fast, but they were waiting on tee boxes for landing areas to clear on the longer par 4-5 holes, and playing at a normal pace.

We were playing just the same speed, as we'd tee off on par 3's, they were waiting on the tee boxes.. They would be on the box when we were putting it out.. Then we'd wait on them, and proceed.

However, the two guys behind us, didn't like that. They weren't bad golfers it seemed, although the trees got a good lickin' from them, they seemed to be playing fast. They would be obnoxious and sit in the fairways, play up behind us.. tee off INTO us.. They hit our cart, on the cart path mind you, twice. Had 3 of them roll past us while in the fairway, and one time I was walking from the green, and one put one in a greenside bunker 15ft from me walking. We even had it happen 3 times, but the balls literally land right next to us.

Now, I know blind drives, and landing areas are hard to tell. I know you don't want to wait too much before you drive.. I understand you have little to no control how far it bounces, or rolls. But THAT often, it too much!!

I was so pissed, we started to just pick their balls up that almost hit us, and keep them. They'd search and search and search, which would keep them from blasting into us for atleast a hole or so. Eventually we said something, they got upset, started cursing at us, told us we sucked and should play faster.. Mind you, they failed to see the people in front of us on the green still putting out, or on the tee box waiting.

They hit into us one more hole after that, and I proceeded to walk up to their ball, and use a nice high 6i cut, into the water and the woods. Then walked away.

I was so pissed, I couldn't even play, I was ready to wrap my wedges around their faces. I calmed down, and said it wasn't worth it. They backed off the halfway through the back 9, and were busy finding their tee shots when we finished on 18.

Back at the clubhouse, the bag valets were cleaning our clubs and getting our stuff off the carts, and we proceeded to pull 7 ProV1's from our pockets, and give them to the guy, with a tip, and told him to give these to the retarded coming in behind us, and tell them to get a life.

I bet those guys couldn't figure out how they lost so many balls in one round, considering I put 2 into the woods/water as well.

I've NEVER had anyone play up our ass like that before.. It's not like they could have gotten anywhere if we let them through. People like that should get another hobby.

twelvegage

live life. love life.
Jan 18, 2008
I haven't had that happen to me yet, but you handled it about how I think I would.

I usually feel guilty if I'm keeping someone waiting and will let them play through, but if I'm being held up by it just being a busy day, then there's nothing anyone can do. You're right that they need a new hobby, or learn to relax and enjoy the beauty of the course =]

Mr Happy

Oct 17, 2008
I have had that happen to me on a couple of occasions. The first time they hit in to us I let it go, the second I waved at them then hit it back to them! I told the course marshal about this and he just shrugged it off but they did not hit into us for the rest of the day. Slow play sucks but that is the state of golf now.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
This happened to me a couple of times and I would love to say that I handled it as well as you did. The first time, I wasn't too upset as I have accidentaly hit into groups on blind tees. The second time I stamped their ball into the ground (it had recently rained) so that all that was showing was the very top of it. The third time I took out my sharpie wrote FORE on the ball and pured a 2 iron right back at them, it one hopped right over their heads. After that they didn't hit into us again. The threat of having the person you were hitting driver into hit an iron back at you seemed a bit too much for their egos.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
I was so pissed, we started to just pick their balls up that almost hit us, and keep them. They'd search and search and search, which would keep them from blasting into us for atleast a hole or so.

This is just so totally wrong I don't think it justifies a response.

Who was the ashhole in this situation? A couple of guys hitting into you, or stealing roughly $28 worth of balls from a couple of guys?

To me, this is just egging them on. They know what happened to their balls.

In the future I would recommend diplomacy before thievery. You've got to say something a LOT earlier to difuse the situation. Explain that the course is slow and you are waiting on every shot also.

I can tell these guys aren't as bright as myself though. After my first stolen V1, I will start hitting top-flights into the group ahead.:killersmiley:

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I would never, ever play into anyone intentionally under any circumstances. Although very very unlikely... you catch someone just right upside the head and you can kill em. Don't want that on my chest and I certainly don't want to go to prison over it.

Shoe on the other foot... someone hits into me enough times(especially if my wife/daughter are with me) then there is going to be a fight.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Fat, next time just let them through. Then, when they can't move either, push them!

Oh, and instead of hitting their balls in the woods, hit them back to them. :D

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
Idiots like that have to be told the difference between slow play and bad management by the pro shop/starter. On a busy day if you don't tell threesomes or twosomes that they need to be prepared to wait or pair up with other folks, then you are not doing your job. I get irked by slow play just like anyone else but not if I am in a twosome that is playing behind a bunch of foursomes.

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
This is just so totally wrong I don't think it justifies a response.

Who was the ashhole in this situation? A couple of guys hitting into you, or stealing roughly $28 worth of balls from a couple of guys?

To me, this is just egging them on. They know what happened to their balls.

In the future I would recommend diplomacy before thievery. You've got to say something a LOT earlier to difuse the situation. Explain that the course is slow and you are waiting on every shot also.

I can tell these guys aren't as bright as myself though. After my first stolen V1, I will start hitting top-flights into the group ahead.:killersmiley:

Did you even read the whole post?

I never kept any??

I don't see where I stole anything? They got them back, as far as I know. So I don't feel I was wrong in anything I did. I could have just grabbed the guys club from his hand when he pointed it at my chest when I told him he was a piece of shit when he denied hitting into us.. But I didn't. I think blasting his ball off into the water or woods was a better option, and hiding the balls he decided to hit into us till after I wasn't a target.

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Fat, next time just let them through. Then, when they can't move either, push them!

Oh, and instead of hitting their balls in the woods, hit them back to them. :D

You know.. I thought that.. Let them get infront, then I could hit into them.. But I HATE that. I hate people doing it.. It happens, I know, but I apologize, I walk up to them, I yell FORE, I do everything in my control to make the wrong, righted, and safely.

Plus, I had more fun putting them in the water and woods, and I laughed a good bit watching them search for their balls like an easter egg hunt.. They'd never find them in my pocket, and it didn't cause an altercation.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
First time ball lands in our vicinity... write it off as accidental. Second time... call the clubhouse from a cell phone and tell them it's about to get ugly on the course.

Each and every person seems to handle these situations differently. And, there is no really good solution. There are some folks who will find a way to be jerks... easily, on a crowded course, or work hard at it until they succeed. Whether you are driving or shopping or playing golf, you can be certain you will find someone who just doesn't get it!!

Personally, I would never pick up another player's ball. And, I would not hit a ball back at a person. (That could be grounds for assault if the person were injured.) I have been known to use some "unclaimed" balls for chipping practice to somewhere off the fairway. I won't chip the balls in water or other areas that could be misconstrued as thievery. I will chip them to areas just to make it aggravating for those who continue to hit into us.

If riding, I would not be against picking up a person's ball and driving it back to him/her. I would ask if it were his/her ball. And, when claimed, would explain two things. One, the course is backed up and there is no place to go ahead of our group. And, secondly, that my next call will be to the local police and I am not above filing assault charges.

We are blessed to have the first tee time on Saturdays and Sundays at our local course. We play quickly and just don't have people push us. Once in a while, I do get the opportunity to play during busier times of the day. Each time I do, I realize how luckey we are to play early before the course is packed.

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
So you wouldn't pick up their ball if walking, but you would riding? Or you'd hit them elsewhere?

See, I guess my point is.. It's ugly all the way around. Those who feel "higher" than thou, and wouldn't touch someones ball, instantly says they'd hit it elsewhere, chip it, drive it back, pick it up, take it, sell it, write on it.. ect...

All would be wrong.. But I think hitting into someone is far more serious.

I think it's not only dangerous, I think it would be the leading reason for golf injuries.. Not only from balls, but from clubs being used as blunt weapons.

I'm not going to hit it back to them- but I damn sure don't have a problem hiding the balls, or seeing how far out in the lake I can drive it.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
You know, you can hit it back TO them without hitting it AT them (go 2 clubs down, etc.). Makes your point without stealing a ball or endangering them.

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
I had a guy pick up my ball and throw it into the lake. Of course I never intended to hit into them, just pured a 1 in a million shot.

🔥 Latest posts