• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Playing Lessons from the Pros.....paydirt...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I'm a big fan of this program on the Golf Channel. They take various golfers and put them on to illustrate in their words how the game is played.

Today I watched the Laura Davies show. This woman can really talk like a human being when it comes to golf.

A line that she said that particularily caught my attention was this:

"Many pros and instructors out there will probably hate me for this, but the best way to do well in this game is to know your own swing. Never mind where your hips and hands should be at such and such a point. It's all about knowing your own swing."

I've touched on this a little in The Master's thread about the Mental Game. I really believe that knowing your own swing is the key to success in golf. Trying to mimic someone is the worst advice you can give. "Try and swing like Ernie or Tiger. It'll help your game." Sure, if you're 6'2" and have a swing speed of 120mph. But none of us are. We just need to learn to be ourselves and the game will become easier.

I'm not saying that this is easy. And Ms. Davies reiterated this point. This is a tough game in itself, and trying a thousand different things instead of playing within your strengths will never get you there.

Good show today. Like I said, she speaks like a human being, not like a textbook.

R35

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
....for instance.....in my mind a guy with a swing like Jim Furyk has no business being a pro and yet, look at the results.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Exactly.

Everything works for no one. And everything works for someone. But, not everything works for everybody.

In other words, use what works for you. Know your game.

As I was typing this, I thought of Silver and his woes with the game as of late. Dude, I know you have the game. You just have to trust yourself to know that you do. Don't take chances or try somethin different. Use your set of fundamentals and realize how easy this game really is. Go out with no expectations and you'll be suprised how well you'll play.

Par 4? Driver is crap? Touch a nice 3 wood out there. Play an easy 7 instead of a hard 8 to 12-15 feet. Get it close, tap it in for par.

This game is easy if you think easy. Play within yourself.

R35

The master

Oct 24, 2004
rockford35 said:
I'm a big fan of this program on the Golf Channel. They take various golfers and put them on to illustrate in their words how the game is played.

Today I watched the Laura Davies show. This woman can really talk like a human being when it comes to golf.

A line that she said that particularily caught my attention was this:

"Many pros and instructors out there will probably hate me for this, but the best way to do well in this game is to know your own swing. Never mind where your hips and hands should be at such and such a point. It's all about knowing your own swing."

I've touched on this a little in The Master's thread about the Mental Game. I really believe that knowing your own swing is the key to success in golf. Trying to mimic someone is the worst advice you can give. "Try and swing like Ernie or Tiger. It'll help your game." Sure, if you're 6'2" and have a swing speed of 120mph. But none of us are. We just need to learn to be ourselves and the game will become easier.

I'm not saying that this is easy. And Ms. Davies reiterated this point. This is a tough game in itself, and trying a thousand different things instead of playing within your strengths will never get you there.

Good show today. Like I said, she speaks like a human being, not like a textbook.

R35

She is also a good commentator she has been on course commentator at the open 2 years in a row.

I agree and disagree with this point the reason for this is because I was watching butch hamrons DVD and he says a good thing to do is to copy all the pro's he is Teh best instructor in the world and he can't be that wrong.

When you say knowing your own siwng that is so important "all good players can feel the club head during the swing I mean wether it is open or closed obviously.

Also text books are always right, that AJ bonar crap is crap I think that nowadays with equipment you can get away with strong grips and poorer swins but it is about having good mechanics.

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Slingblade61 said:
....for instance.....in my mind a guy with a swing like Jim Furyk has no business being a pro and yet, look at the results.

One word IMPACT, I may be conderdicting myself here but saying that the aj bonar stuff is crap but the reason he is so good is because he has a good short game, and once again the equipment lets him off quite eays. Also he hasgrooved the swing in he has to just suffer that little more inconsistant ball striking unlike tiger, els, love, mickelson, sighn the worlds greatest.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
So who wrote these text books? And who taught Butch Harmon the keys to a great swing?

Someone that knew the swing. Butch didn't wake up one day with an idea of how to swing the club. (Or maybe he did, cuz Tiger sure dropped his ass in a hurry when the swing changes came in....)

Ever read a Penick book? The guy understood the swing on a level that only a few of us could ever dream of. That's why he's one of the most read golf authors of all time.

When you set up for a shot out of the trap, are you thinking "Just cut off the fat"...? I am. Now, would you know my swing if I wrote it in a text book or showed you a video of it?

No way.

100%. Books and videos mean nothing. It's all about knowing your own hands, legs, back, arms and how they interact with that club.

R35

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
i totally agree. I'm 5'11'' and have a wrist to floor of like 28 inches, which means my hands are a lot lower to the ground then thay should be. This has led me to have a flat swing, which i get criticized for. I try to change it to an upright swing and consistency is impossible. So i'll stick with my flat swing. If golf was a matter of swing plane, i'd shoot in the 100's, but it's not. I can translate my poor swing into good results, so i'll stick with it for now. JMO(and rock's too, lol). Neal

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
I agree and disagree with some of you.
1. I love Playing Lessons from the Pro. This is clearly my favorite show on TGC. I liked the one with Jay Haas, Nick Faldo and Aaron Baddeley.
2. Knowing your own swing... Wait, what about if your swing is bad for starters?
For me, to know your own swing, you first to need to know and apply soiund fundamentals. Once you've done that, you can feel what is best for you.
3. I see differents schooling aspects.
- school that teaches you an entire new and fundamentally sound swing. David Leadbetter comes to mind.
- school that modify only partly your current swing to make it more efficient. Your swing works some of the time, now it'll work even better.
- school that don't modify your swing, but improves the other parts of the game: mental, course management....
4. AJ Bonar isn't crap. Yes, you've read correctly... :)

caddyshackgolf

Be The Ball
Feb 22, 2005
Playing Lessons From the Pros is deffently my favorite show on TGC. But thats not important right now. I do agree with what Laura Davies said about having to know your OWN swing. But I also think that you have to learn the basic fundelmentals of swinging a club. Then you can start learning your own swing.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Loop said:
I agree and disagree with some of you.
1. I love Playing Lessons from the Pro. This is clearly my favorite show on TGC. I liked the one with Jay Haas, Nick Faldo and Aaron Baddeley.
2. Knowing your own swing... Wait, what about if your swing is bad for starters?
For me, to know your own swing, you first to need to know and apply soiund fundamentals. Once you've done that, you can feel what is best for you.
3. I see differents schooling aspects.
- school that teaches you an entire new and fundamentally sound swing. David Leadbetter comes to mind.
- school that modify only partly your current swing to make it more efficient. Your swing works some of the time, now it'll work even better.
- school that don't modify your swing, but improves the other parts of the game: mental, course management....
4. AJ Bonar isn't crap. Yes, you've read correctly... :)

I agree with you on this one Loop.

If someone's grip, set up and swing is so fundamentally wrong - they will never play the game well. No matter how well - they Know their bad grip, bad set up and bad swing - they will never get good results from it. Because it is bad. These are people that shoot a very tight range of bad scores week after week: Shoots between 104 and 108 all the time. Really knows his game though!!

ON the other hand, there - clearly - is no "right" grip, set up and swing for everyone. AND body characteristics must be taken into account in trying to get the "right" game for each player.

So I think there is balance on both sides of the issue. I really Do think good instructors try to "take what's there" and work with it - rather than trying to completely rebuild from scratch a golf game.

I share a little what nisherman has....I am a shade Under 6 feet, but wear a Long in all my jackets and shirts. I have arms that are longer than normal for my height. On the other hand, the standard pants inseam for someone my height is about 30-31. Mine is 29" - so I have legs that are shorter than normal for someone of my height. And I think these things will affect your swing....

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
caddyshackgolf said:
Playing Lessons From the Pros is deffently my favorite show on TGC. But thats not important right now. I do agree with what Laura Davies said about having to know your OWN swing. But I also think that you have to learn the basic fundelmentals of swinging a club. Then you can start learning your own swing.

Agreed. Very good point.

Once a beginner golfer has some fundamentals down, then it's time to learn your swing.

How many out there have taken lessons, but don't practice or don't practice as much as they would like/should? I bet many out there. But that practice, based on fundamentals of a good instructor, is what learning your strengths, weaknesses and average shots are all about.

Good posts everyone. Constructive critisism is what this is all about.

R35

mediaguru

Feb 13, 2005
Havey Penick said beware of the guy with the strange swing. He probably knows his swing.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
mediaguru said:
Havey Penick said beware of the guy with the strange swing. He probably knows his swing.

Good work, Guru.

Read Penick, guys. If you don't get it, get lessons. The guy makes life simple.

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Some of you know I live close to where Harvey taught, and I know a few people who were lucky enough to work with him.

One of the things I remember was his telling a friend of mine that for him, golf was a game. Of course he meant for him to try hard and do his best. It was just his way of reminding him to enjoy himself while doing it.

🔥 Latest posts